Hartshorne Trail maintenance info

The work on Laurel Ridge above the sandy turn continues. Every week I ride what we did in the session. New work can look cool, but the real test is how it rides. We have a few more sessions to go to complete lower reroute, but what we have so far rides really well.

Come out and support the trails you ride. We meet Mondays 9am-12pm and Thursdays 10-12pm. If you can't do weekdays come out to Perrineville on Sunday 11/12 or 11/19 from 9am-12pm. I can't call you, you have to take the 1st step. 😉

Thanks @don , Roland, Andrew, Steve, Brian and @ChrisRNC . A lot was busted out in 3hrs.
PCIMG_2023-10-30_16-36-57.JPG

PCIMG_2023-10-30_16-47-32.JPG

20231030_120434.jpg

Last edited:
The work on Laurel Ridge above the sandy turn continues. Every week I ride what we did in the session. New work can look cool, but the real test is how it rides. We have a few more sessions to go to complete lower reroute, but what we have so far rides really well.

Come out and support the trails you ride. We meet Mondays 9am-12pm and Thursdays 10-12pm. If you can't do weekdays come out to Perrineville on Sunday 11/12 or 11/19 from 9am-12pm. I can't call you, you have to take the 1st step. 😉

Thanks @don , Roland, Steve, Brian and Chris. A lot was busted out in 3hrs.
View attachment 226216
View attachment 226217
View attachment 226218

Thanks @don , Roland, Steve, Brian and Chris. A lot was busted out in 3hrs.
View attachment 226216
View attachment 226217
View attachment 226218
& Andy!

IMG_0200.JPG

@pooriggy and the crew

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG

Looking uphill after the final rake out.

@ChrisRNC , Roland and Andy did a really killer job clearing out those stickers/brush. It was thick in there!

The second half of this will blend together nicely with a very natural grade reversal that will be in play. Can't wait to say good riddance to that ultra deep sand corridor!

We finished fixing the washed out trail near the start of Rocky Point by the small bridge.

This trail is below the entrance road to the park and gets all the rainwater run off. We put in a series of grade dips to shed the water and regraded the trail to drain better.

We work Mondays and Thursdays in the mornings and welcome new volunteers. I have other projects on weekends in Millstone Township if that works out better. Please help if you can.

Washed out trail with 8"-12" ruts.
20231102_104603.jpg

Fixed trail.
20231102_120502.jpg

Typical grade dip.
20231102_120829.jpg

Better then average people.
Thanks Bob, Gary, Dave and Brian.
20231102_120530.jpg

We finished the sandy bottom turn reroute. The work on Laurel Ridge began in early October, keeping the top section the same line with grade dips added as well as rock armoring. The bottom 3rd of the trail was rerouted with grade reversals to allow for more water run off and avoid the fall line sand pit at the bottom.

I'm happy with the way it turned out, the top is still chunky and the bottom is a nice flow line to finish out the ride.

Thanks to the guys who come out every week, they know how to move some soil at the dirt gym. @don adds to the creative mix as well. This has been a good team this year, fixing Devils Elbow, several reroutes at Huber, lots of repairs, and getting rid of Sandy Bottom. If anyone is interested in joining the band please submit a resume and I'll get back to you.

Before
20231106_092644.jpg

30 minutes in.
20231106_094210.jpg

1 hour in
20231106_114458.jpg

2hrs in, further up trail.
20231106_114806.jpg

Done, end of reroute.

20231106_114342.jpg

Thanks Crew!
@ChrisRNC , @smann , @don , Andrew, Steve, and Roland.
20231106_115232.jpg

Screenshot_20231204-191517_Trailforks.jpg

Since finishing up Laurel Ridge, we've been working on Grand Tour, the S turns.

Like all things trails, this morphed into a project...you fix one section, then you have to do the next. These S turns were tight in spots(too much break needed to make the turn) and eroded in others. The lines were burned in with bike tires over the years but a tire can only do so much, this area needed to be reworked.

We opened up the radius on the turns, added inslope to collect water and aid trail users to lean into the turn. On the straight sections coming out of a turn we added grade dips. What you end up with is inslope, grade dip, inslope, grade dip...

The rain we've had was a good test of our first set of turns we installed last week. Water exits grade dips and the tread remains firm and dry. Today we picked up where we left off last week, adding a wider radius turn with inslope and grade dip.

A lot of soil is moved to achieve this, but when all is done, it sits in there, like it was always there.
20231204_104847~3.jpg
20231204_111800.jpg
20231204_111911.jpg

20231204_134142~2.jpg

Last week's work
20231127_134859~2.jpg

Dig with Ig! Come join us on the trails, we're always looking for help. We dig Mondays 9am-12pm, if you can't do weekdays, I have Saturday 12/16 9am-12pm Perrineville open.
Thank you crew, @ChrisRNC , @don , Ken, Andrew, Beachboy Brian, UK Steve and @smann , who left before pic.
20231204_115338.jpg

View attachment 228553
Since finishing up Laurel Ridge, we've been working on Grand Tour, the S turns.

Like all things trails, this morphed into a project...you fix one section, then you have to do the next. These S turns were tight in spots(too much break needed to make the turn) and eroded in others. The lines were burned in with bike tires over the years but a tire can only do so much, this area needed to be reworked.

We opened up the radius on the turns, added inslope to collect water and aid trail users to lean into the turn. On the straight sections coming out of a turn we added grade dips. What you end up with is inslope, grade dip, inslope, grade dip...

The rain we've had was a good test of our first set of turns we installed last week. Water exits grade dips and the tread remains firm and dry. Today we picked up where we left off last week, adding a wider radius turn with inslope and grade dip.

A lot of soil is moved to achieve this, but when all is done, it sits in there, like it was always there.
View attachment 228554View attachment 228555View attachment 228557
View attachment 228558

Last week's work
View attachment 228559

Dig with Ig! Come join us on the trails, we're always looking for help. We dig Mondays 9am-12pm, if you can't do weekdays, I have Saturday 12/16 9am-12pm Perrineville open.
Thank you crew, @ChrisRNC , @don , Ken, Andrew, Beachboy Brian, UK Steve and @smann , who left before pic.
View attachment 228560
Thanks for your hard work!!

Thanks for your hard work!!
Knobby - this section should be a lot better than it was a couple of weeks ago when it was too choppy in both directions. Tire and foot tracks should bed it in very nicely.

View attachment 228557
View attachment 228558

You can sort of see the amount of material we moved in the roughed out part of the first pic but UK Steve and I put 30 wheelbarrow loads on that grade reversal and there are probably another 10 from the other TM'ers. But the end result has a very natural look and feel like the trail has always been there.

A couple of quick shots looking down on the rerworked turn and into the new grade reversal:
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0643.JPG

Knobby - this section should be a lot better than it was a couple of weeks ago when it was too choppy in both directions. Tire and foot tracks should bed it in very nicely.

You can sort of see the amount of material we moved in the roughed out part of the first pic but UK Steve and I put 30 wheelbarrow loads on that grade reversal and there are probably another 10 from the other TM'ers. But the end result has a very natural look and feel like the trail has always been there.

A couple of quick shots looking down on the rerworked turn and into the new grade reversal:
View attachment 228589View attachment 228590
It looks awesome! I can't wait to ride it.

Reactions: don

View attachment 228589View attachment 228590
Holy cow!! This section rides really well. It's a great combination of old and new. And you must have moved a ton of dirt. That one bump is really really really big.

A few quick ones from today. @pooriggy did a great job of laying out the new reroute. Once done it will have the same feel as most of the other trails at Huber which have a nice organic feel. Chris and I were guessing the old route was a farm road or cut by a machine years ago and with the straight downhill design and the waterbar "fixes" the trail just ate itself up over the years.

The first is looking down the trail into the new entrance. We built a roller to shed water to the left. There are a lot of water forces in play in this area so any drainage work should help.

View attachment 213682

Entrance to the first section of the reroute. @knobbyhead and I transferred a bunch of material to make the new entrance more inviting and to give it the correct pitch to lead you in.

View attachment 213683

First part looking up. The rangers were supposed to cut the log across the trail but we didn't see them during the TM. For the folks that miss "Many Log Run" maybe hit it up soon to get that log hop feel.

View attachment 213684
Wow, amazing job folks. I rode Huber today for the first time in a few months and I was so confused when I go to the point where the old fox hollow was. I rode it up and then down and then down again later in my ride. It has really nice flow West to East. Thanks so much. Looks like I need to get over to Hartshorne soon to enjoy the rest of your fine work. Thanks

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions