Hartshorne Trail maintenance info

Thank you all for the hard work. There's a lot that goes into trail maintenance that's beyond the scope of my understanding. That said, is there a way to achieve the desired effect of mitigating erosion, sand pits, water pooling, etc without removing all the fun technical features such as roots and rocks? I used to look forward to the connector trail every time I rode Hartshorn. It was interesting both up and down and one of my favorite trails there. If possible, leave some tech. There are plenty of us that love it.

I'll be in the area for most of the summer and will make a few Mondays when I'm using vacation days. Can someone confirm the certification process needed to do TM here as I haven't caught up with this thread and the early info may be outdated.

Thank you all for the hard work. There's a lot that goes into trail maintenance that's beyond the scope of my understanding. That said, is there a way to achieve the desired effect of mitigating erosion, sand pits, water pooling, etc without removing all the fun technical features such as roots and rocks? I used to look forward to the connector trail every time I rode Hartshorn. It was interesting both up and down and one of my favorite trails there. If possible, leave some tech. There are plenty of us that love it.
Thank you for acknowledging that trail maintenance is hard work and there is much that you don't understand about it.

On the previous page I did post a lengthy explanation as to why we are working on the connector climb and some of the building techniques that we use to deal with erosion issues. It's post #177 if you care to read it.

IMBA Trail Solutions is a great book to read to begin to understand trail building and design.

I have gotten push back from a minority of mtbers who feel we are sanitizing the trails. It doesn't surprise me, every trail builder gets push back when trails are changed. The majority like the changes, so I guess we are doing something right... you can't please everyone.

I think part of the problem is that some folks mistake eroded trails for good tech trails. As a trail builder for the park system my goal is to have sustainable multi-use trails. I've been riding Hartshorne for close to 20 years and have seen the trails change due to erosion.

Good tech trails don't change, the lines stay the same. Eroded trails change every 3-5yrs as the lines get washed out and trail users seek a better line.

Also, trails in Monmouth County are flow type trails, all mountain tech trails can be found in the northern part of the state. If you are showing up at Hartshorne to ride tech, you will be disappointed, you are better off riding Allamuchy or Wildcat.

Here is an illustration of the connector, which is a classic fall line trail that is 15' due to erosion. This is garbage.
20220627_095634.jpg

This is the end of Lumpy Bumpy at Allamuchy. The trail is about 15 yrs old and the lines are pretty much the same as the day they where built, there is no erosion issues, and it's an awesome tech trail.
20220618_102836(0).jpg

Rxpete, I am not singling you out with this post, but rather this is for all those interested in learning more about trail maintenance , trail build and design.

Every one should be a Jorba member and support their local trail system by volunteering when they can. It's really important that we as a group unite and work together.

We work on trails at Hartshorne every Monday, 9am-12pm, usually meeting at Rocky Point lot. Fill out volunteer application and join in if you can, we could always use the help. Post up or message me if you have questions.

Thanks!

I'll be in the area for most of the summer and will make a few Mondays when I'm using vacation days. Can someone confirm the certification process needed to do TM here as I haven't caught up with this thread and the early info may be outdated.
I can provide the required training at the tm session.
Fill out a volunteer application and join us.

I got to the first shift a little late so stayed and removed a good foot of sand on one of the new corners (close to where it meets by the road).

Shoveling this much run off reminded me how bad the erosion can be at Hartshorne. Things will always move around from use and weather but when a trail has a long run of fall line rain wash builds up speed and takes a lot of material with it. There was a very long (75 ft at least) of thick sand that came from higher up.

The new layout has shorter fall line sections that should shed the water off the tread before it gains a lot of power. Plus carving a turn is more fun than trying to skim thru 8" of loose sand (but maybe that's just me).

And for the comments that the TM crews are paving the place, when the tread is being re-pitched and you are shaping to find the correct grade things will be look way smoother at first. We also add the best material that we can find nearby so the trail will pack and hold that grade which adds to it. Over time and use roots and rocks will appear but if done correctly the trail will shed water and hold it's shape long term.

Props to the crew today for moving that much soil! One off camber section came up a good 2-3' It was some pretty tough work conditions with the humidity!

PS - There are already rooty spots starting to pop through (right before this turn as you come down hill) that will add some technical interest to the line.

IMG_6172.jpeg
IMG_6173.jpeg

@don @pooriggy @knobbyhead and the other usuals at the Hartshorne TM sessions...finally was able to ride a bunch of the updates a couple weeks ago and they were great! After seeing years of erosion rut out some of the trails (been riding there since mid-90s), the more sustainable remediation you have all built makes for a much more enjoyable experience. Thanks for the efforts!!

Well the heat is not stopping us from doing trail work but it is slowing us down. Water breaks with cool down periods are needed more frequently in this weather.

On Monday we fixed one of the turns on the connector trail we had put in several weeks ago, it was too flat, had a roll in it which took weight off the tires and was too tight. We banked it a bit, opened up the radius as well and took out the roll to make for better turning at speed.

This looks subtle but it actually took 3hrs to fix. We build, we ride, we adjust to get it right.

We dig every Monday, 9am-12pm, Come join us if you can.

Thanks Brian, Bob, @don, and Larry.
Before
Turn too flat.jpg

After
Flat Turn bermed and widened.jpg

working on flat turn.jpg

It was a hot one yesterday!

Hare a couple of pics to show the changes. It may not look like much first but the turn was off camber the second half of it and it sounded like the dip rise right before it created an un-weight effect and throwing people off. I personally didn't mind the flat turn but I think the fixes from Monday will help the overall feel of The Connector.

Here is a before and after looking up the trail. Hard to notice but we put in about 2ft of material to the outside edge.

The dip was also removed where Larry is standing on the first pic. That grade went down close to 2ft on the inside edge.

This turn now has a very similiar shape to the legacy turn before it (which formed and developed from decade or so of trail use).

IMG_6229.JPEG
IMG_6233.JPEG

It was a hot one yesterday!

Hare a couple of pics to show the changes. It may not look like much first but the turn was off camber the second half of it and it sounded like the dip rise right before it created an un-weight effect and throwing people off. I personally didn't mind the flat turn but I think the fixes from Monday will help the overall feel of The Connector.

Here is a before and after looking up the trail. Hard to notice but we put in about 2ft of material to the outside edge.

The dip was also removed where Larry is standing on the first pic. That grade went down close to 2ft on the inside edge.

This turn now has a very similiar shape to the legacy turn before it (which formed and developed from decade or so of trail use).

View attachment 191770View attachment 191773

Happy to report that this tweak climbs much better. I still have to change my (habitual) way down to Grand Tour to utilize this more, but you know, habits and all that...

I have to say, other than the log hop, the other trail offers nothing on this, even compared to before this tweak, I'm willing to bet. I guess it's fast, though :shrug:

Some weenie removed [but not far, cause that shit is heavy] the 12x12x6 rock that's been in the tread of Rocky Point (next to the pillbox) forever. In a brilliant stroke, they managed to simultaneously ruin the fastest way through, AND screw up the flow.

Reactions: don
Happy to report that this tweak climbs much better. I still have to change my (habitual) way down to Grand Tour to utilize this more, but you know, habits and all that...

I have to say, other than the log hop, the other trail offers nothing on this, even compared to before this tweak, I'm willing to bet. I guess it's fast, though :shrug:

Some weenie removed [but not far, cause that shit is heavy] the 12x12x6 rock that's been in the tread of Rocky Point (next to the pillbox) forever. In a brilliant stroke, they managed to simultaneously ruin the fastest way through, AND screw up the flow.
Wtf is wrong with people?

A few of us were back on the Connector this past Monday. We were a mess after 5 hours in misting rain/high humidity but I feel like we made some improvements to the top.

Before and after shots.

We had move some big stone to add stability to a pretty sandy pitch and a little flavor and tech once the material settled in. The problem with the first round of rock was the bottom had none and while the section climbed and descended well it was a little tricky looking and actually wasn't great hiking it (I try and multi-purpose test what is worked on). And there was a go-around being carved in because of the looks and feels.

During the first round Larry and I moved a bunch of big stones to help form a bench. Once the trail path was established I didn't think the trail needed it and actually should go down as a grade reversal. Lots of rock moving between Larry, @knobbyhead and me and I forgot the pry bar like a moron so we made due with the shovels (the Craftsmen fiberglass held up great).

IMG_6281.JPEG
IMG_6284.JPEG

A few more pics. Still a little hard to tell but you should be able to see where the rocks were laid down. We added about 8-10' more of them and it blended the flatter section to the slope better both ways.

We also lined the sides with organics and some small transplants. I know it's the worse time to transplant anything but I like the border and new items will have an easier time getting started in growing with the rich material.

IMG_6282.JPEG
IMG_6283.JPEG
IMG_6285.JPEG
IMG_6286.JPEG

A few more pics. Still a little hard to tell but you should be able to see where the rocks were laid down. We added about 8-10' more of them and it blended the flatter section to the slope better both ways.

We also lined the sides with organics and some small transplants. I know it's the worse time to transplant anything but I like the border and new items will have an easier time getting started in growing with the rich material.

View attachment 192909View attachment 192910View attachment 192912View attachment 192913
Pictures don't do this section justice. I think the changes we made (well mostly you and Larry) will have a long lasting impact on these trails.

Pictures don't do this section justice. I think the changes we made (well mostly you and Larry) will have a long lasting impact on these trails.
Thanks Bobby! I was seeing sideways when I left that place on Monday lol. Moving those stones kicked my ass! I think Larry could have kept going - the dude is a machine!

I hiked the connector today to see where tire tracks were laying down and hiking it down and then up felt good and there is definitely some nice lines burning in. Just some fine tuning in a few more spots and should be good to go.

It was nice meeting and chatting with you guys this morning. Thanks Iggy, Larry, Don, and Steve for all the hard work and for adding some "spice" to this section.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions