Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

Tim

aka sptimmy43
That's the really red clay section (they dumped a bunch of sand in it). So if you do the step start, that's the tough climb with sort of a switchback at the bottom, though it's not really one anymore I guess.

Yes we are talking about the same section. Believe me, MCPS didn't dump sand anywhere. Haha. They would actually have to do something in order for that to happen. Anyway, that's just erosion ad sedimentation from the heavy rains on the steep fall line trails. The clay and silt is carried away in the rushing water but the sand is heavier and drops out sooner. It ends up at the bottom of the hills or in the case you referenced it ended up on the more gradual slope below the steep eroded top section. It's a bummer but it seems like a couple weeks of hiker and bike traffic will "fix" things.

Reactions: don

TimBay

Yes we are talking about the same section. Believe me, MCPS didn't dump sand anywhere. Haha. They would actually have to do something in order for that to happen. Anyway, that's just erosion ad sedimentation from the heavy rains on the steep fall line trails. The clay and silt is carried away in the rushing water but the sand is heavier and drops out sooner. It ends up at the bottom of the hills or in the case you referenced it ended up on the more gradual slope below the steep eroded top section. It's a bummer but it seems like a couple weeks of hiker and bike traffic will "fix" things.
Yeah it's really bad.

Karate Monkey

Update: I emailed MCPS and they forwarded it to the rangers at Hartshorne. Seems like the pump is just loose on its mounting base, so it is leaking where it goes through into the main assembly. Hopefully they have the giant pentalobe security bit to tighten it.

Karate Monkey

Do people really rely on a park to have a pump so they can go ride?

BTW, conditions were great yesterday, even the one usual wet spot by the bridge was only moist.

No, but when you pinch flat your tire and don't want to use both of your spare cartridges to keep riding, it's nice.

Much in the same way it's nice to put a bike on a workstation rather than upside down or in it's side on the pavement.

RobW

Do people really rely on a park to have a pump so they can go ride?

BTW, conditions were great yesterday, even the one usual wet spot by the bridge was only moist.
If you could take your head from your rear end, you would know that there are other types of bike riders, that do not have all the tools for the job or perhaps they were left home. Also, this park brings a lot of Walmart riders. :)

Tim

aka sptimmy43
If you could take your head from your rear end, you would know that there are other types of bike riders, that do not have all the tools for the job or perhaps they were left home. Also, this park brings a lot of Walmart riders. :)

Yeah. It's amazing how many people head out unprepared. It doesn't make it a smart way to roll but lots of people do.

The water fountain/bottle filling station is superb. You can ride there endlessly now with 1 or 2 bottles and just keep re-filling. No hydration pack necessary.

Karate Monkey

I only ride the Walmart-est of Walmart bikes.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep

I’m sorry. I thought all the I’ll prepared riders came to my shop just to get their tires inflated.

Reactions: don

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
Anyone have a trail or rain total update for Hearts or Huber, was thinking of going tomorrow AM but won't if it's a mess.

rmap01

Rode yesterday. The erosion is pervasive throughout the park. Add the ultra sandy conditions and it makes for an interesting ride. FWIW, the work that was done by the bridge seems to be holding up pretty well.

Reactions: Tim

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions