Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

johnnyrides

I rode there yesterday and it was damp but good. 8 miles. Tough park. Builds character. And I hope the family searching for their lost Golden Retriever named Jersey found her.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Hartshorne is about as good as it gets. MCPS must have done some work because I saw tractor tire marks in a few spots. All the downed trees on Rocky Point have been cut away as well.

In other news I am pretty sure I saw chainsaw guy out there on Monday. No shirt. No helmet. There was a Marin hardtail off to the side of the trail. This time he was wielding a battery powered weedwhacker and was cutting back undergrowth. I actually appreciate the work he was doing this time. I'd hate to see what he looks like today if he is sensitive to poison ivy.:eek:

AndyJ

What a great evening for a ride at Hartshorne! Trail conditions are great and the laurel is in bloom...
hartshorne.jpg

mwlikesbikes

I was there Sunday, overall it’s good. The sandy sections are getting sandier which is oar for summer.
There are some annoying shortcut/strava lines that have popped up most notably the downhill on Grand Tour that goes from the cuusta ridge fire road to the Monmouth hills section. Where the trail goes around the biggest tree in the park someone blew open the inside line that was blocked off with some big logs.
If you can’t ride something walk your bike until you can do it!!!:mad:

SmooveP

I was there Sunday, overall it’s good. The sandy sections are getting sandier which is oar for summer.
There are some annoying shortcut/strava lines that have popped up most notably the downhill on Grand Tour that goes from the cuusta ridge fire road to the Monmouth hills section. Where the trail goes around the biggest tree in the park someone blew open the inside line that was blocked off with some big logs.
If you can’t ride something walk your bike until you can do it!!!:mad:

And Chainsaw Guy is definitely back. Pretty soon, you'll be able to ride the trails on your road bike.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
And Chainsaw Guy is definitely back. Pretty soon, you'll be able to ride the trails on your road bike.

Yeah. I've seen him out there a couple times lately. He finally found Rocky Point it seems. No more log-overs.

I am in no way defending him but he did single-handedly cut most of the brush back in the whole park. My arms appreciated that. I wish he would leave the logs alone, though.

SmooveP

Yeah. I've seen him out there a couple times lately. He finally found Rocky Point it seems. No more log-overs.

I am in no way defending him but he did single-handedly cut most of the brush back in the whole park. My arms appreciated that. I wish he would leave the logs alone, though.

I don't think he did the brush cutting. The volunteer TM crew had a session recently.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I don't think he did the brush cutting. The volunteer TM crew had a session recently.
I saw him doing it as far back as 3 weeks ago. I even stopped for a minute one day and he bragged about all the trimming he had been doing. At that point he didn't have a chainsaw with him so I didn't try and discourage him.

Chris(NJ)

Perfect conditions there last night. Also saw a guy (maybe chainsaw guy?) with a rake clearing the trails. Not sure if thats so good for the trails, but makes it nice to ride anyway :)

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
First of all, tomorrow is Saturday, no? Did I miss a day somewhere? lol

Should be fine tomorrow

cbiker

Why are there so many people out there cutting switchbacks and making new lines around rocks and roots; its not like hartshorne is that technical if you cant ride there without going around every harder section of trail you should just ride on the pavement.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Why are there so many people out there cutting switchbacks and making new lines around rocks and roots; its not like hartshorne is that technical if you cant ride there without going around every harder section of trail you should just ride on the pavement.

I think it's only one guy doing it... as was mentioned chainsaw guy is back. If it makes you feel any better the county had a big trail maintenance crew out there yesterday and they were installing new water bars. I didn't have the heart to tell them their work would be undone by the chainsaw guy within a week.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions