Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

BRING THE HOCKEY SKATES

I did go there this afternoon for a nice 4 mile hike. Ice ice ice,,,unless you have studded tires, i would not even bother. Hiking boots, do a run walk like I did, really got a good work out in..throw in some push ups ..that's all you need till snow goes away...

I rode at Hartshorne today. There were a few ice spots, but all in all, the conditions were pretty good. I rode a fat bike with no studs and I was with my buddy who was riding a hardtail with 26x2" wheels. I was able to find snowy spots when it was super icy, but all in all, I was able to find traction on every inch of trail I rode on.

The beach was fun too!

I rode again today. I had a fat bike with studded tires. There was fresh powder everywhere and about 80% of the ride was awesome. Though, any hills had a sheet of ice underneath, that the studded tires could not get a grip on. I went down several times because the ice was hidden under the powder.

I went counter clockwise on Laurel Ridge and there was ice on the bottom of the long downhill and crazy ice going up the climb out of the Buttermilk Valley lot. We also spent a majority of the time at Huber and there was a bit of ice on the access trail from the crossover.

The snow over the ice definitely did not help. There were some drifts, but the snow was so light that it actually slid right out of the way when you stepped on the ice. The powder actually made my studded tires ineffective.

I was with a guy on a 26" bike and he was sliding around a bit, but he was able to ride a bit. Huber is in better shape than Hartshorne.

I rode again today. I had a fat bike with studded tires. There was fresh powder everywhere and about 80% of the ride was awesome. Though, any hills had a sheet of ice underneath, that the studded tires could not get a grip on. I went down several times because the ice was hidden under the powder.

I went counter clockwise on Laurel Ridge and there was ice on the bottom of the long downhill and crazy ice going up the climb out of the Buttermilk Valley lot. We also spent a majority of the time at Huber and there was a bit of ice on the access trail from the crossover.

Good vibe - saw you there. I was the guy with the snow shoes.

Btw, was just fine for snowshoeing ;). They have metal spikes on the bottom which made walking on the ice a piece of cake. Went today and Saturday. Got in 2 good workouts

Last edited:
I rode at Hartshorne today. There were a few ice spots, but all in all, the conditions were pretty good. I rode a fat bike with no studs and I was with my buddy who was riding a hardtail with 26x2" wheels. I was able to find snowy spots when it was super icy, but all in all, I was able to find traction on every inch of trail I rode on.

The beach was fun too!

Pretty sure I saw you with your friend the last time you were there. I was walking my dog in the parking lot.

I went to Clayton late yesterday with my 26er with spiked tires. I had been there the day prior but the ice was still very slick even with spikes. With the snow on top it made it a little better although the short steep hills were still too slick. Still a good workout

That's how many trails start :)
I'd be interested to know conditions as well

Unless you have a fatty... Hit the road.... But who am I? Snow is deep in sections, ruts from hikers but not hard or too bumpy. IMO it needs to be packed down a tad more. Later in the day tomorrow if it isn't snowing may be a better option after the weekend warriors are gone.

I was one of those hikers on Thursday...It was very nice,,,I kept saying to myself....there is no way a bike can get through this stuff yet...But the hike was great!

I was one of those hikers on Thursday...It was very nice,,,I kept saying to myself....there is no way a bike can get through this stuff yet...But the hike was great!

Bob,
A fat bike would go right through that, even before it got packed down. I was out there this afternoon, and it was fast and fun. Mostly packed solid, but it started snowing during the ride, and there was a fresh inch by the time I was done.

The forecast is calling for 10 hours of rain tonight into tomorrow, so the party is likely over.:cry:

Bob,

A fat bike would go right through that, even before it got packed down. I was out there this afternoon, and it was fast and fun. Mostly packed solid, but it started snowing during the ride, and there was a fresh inch by the time I was done.

The forecast is calling for 10 hours of rain tonight into tomorrow, so the party is likely over.:cry:

I saw those tracks on a recon drive to see where I missed grand tour on my ride. Was trying to break through on grand tour at the bottom over by Indian rd ( or whatever it is). But For whatever reason, I didn't see it, but in the truck i saw it.. I not sure how far grand tour is with heavy gravel. There was another fatty out there today, that I saw also. I stuck to the road Around HH and figured I would make a small 12-15 mile loop.

Bob,

The forecast is calling for 10 hours of rain tonight into tomorrow, so the party is likely over.:cry:[/QUO

Those fatbikes seem like a great ride,,,if Cannondale ever came out with one,,,I would consider it....

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions