Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

njracer

Anyone riding today? My plan right now is to be in the Buttermilk lot by 2:30, get in a nice ride, then head back home and get ready to be blown by Irene!:D

YAMA

I was considering going tomorrow just to check things out. To see if anything needs to be fixed. Check for erosion. Downed trees etc. And the post a report on what I saw.

rustynuts

I drove by today. It's a total mess, of course I did not go onto any of the trails but Navesink River Rd, Mclees Rd and the dirt road through Huber and then to Hartshorne, just had trees down everywhere along with powerlines and a lot of mud erosion (guess that's the correct word).

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Hartshorne was a mess before this storm, trees down all over....dangerously eroded fire road...I'm guessing it not any better now. lol
can we get an emergency TM?

YAMA

I need to find a gas station that has power so that I can get some air in my tires.... The pump I have sucks

njracer

I need to find a gas station that has power so that I can get some air in my tires.... The pump I have sucks

There is a LBS right on rt36 not too far from Hartshorne....go buy a good pump! I just replaced my 12yr old Blackburn with a new one from my LBS for $25, it works great and fits in my Camelback.:D

wonderturtle

Huber is beat-up. some trees down. at least one completely blocks trail. leaves and little branches completely cover trail. Huber is rideable though.

Hartshorne is worse off. did Laurel Ridge and Grand Tour. Laurel Ridge in particular is f'd up. tree-after-tree blown over in one portion (single track portion right before the Laurel Ridge hill).

speaking of the Laurel Ridge hill...if ever there was a trail section that needed to be put out of its misery this is it. it's been getting progressively worse over the last few years but this storm was the closer. it basically consists of roots, loose rocks and gullies at this point. and it is now completely COVERED with debris. I am not kidding that it would probably take less effort to cut a NEW TRAIL than to try and rehab that section of trail. please put that section out of its misery!!

rustynuts

There is a LBS right on rt36 not too far from Hartshorne....go buy a good pump! I just replaced my 12yr old Blackburn with a new one from my LBS for $25, it works great and fits in my Camelback.:D

Tom's Atlantic Cyclery, is the prolly the one your thinking about. Great shop. Right off Rt 36 in Atlantic Highlands.

Thanks Wonderturtle for the update. Last time I rode there was a Ranger or two around, scouting the trails, but didn't stop to ask them when they were go to do any maintenance.

don

Garrett's shop Kranky Cycles is right down the hill in Highlands. I don't know how he did with the storm but he is a great wrench. Just sorted out my bike with 10 speed XT before a trip to VT.

don

Huber is beat-up. some trees down. at least one completely blocks trail. leaves and little branches completely cover trail. Huber is rideable though.

Hartshorne is worse off. did Laurel Ridge and Grand Tour. Laurel Ridge in particular is f'd up. tree-after-tree blown over in one portion (single track portion right before the Laurel Ridge hill).

speaking of the Laurel Ridge hill...if ever there was a trail section that needed to be put out of its misery this is it. it's been getting progressively worse over the last few years but this storm was the closer. it basically consists of roots, loose rocks and gullies at this point. and it is now completely COVERED with debris. I am not kidding that it would probably take less effort to cut a NEW TRAIL than to try and rehab that section of trail. please put that section out of its misery!!

Thanks for the update. I had a feeling Hart would be beat up with it's elevation and closeness to the ocean.

I agree totally on Laurel Ridge - take a gun to it and put it out of it's misery for sure. I just got back from riding amazing singletrack in VT and saw and felt what good trail should be. It will be hard for me to ride the blown out sh1t over at Hart now. And once the kids are in school next week, I'd have a couple morning a week to give them a hand. But I am sure they will just clear out the debri and keep it on life-support.

dogo

Garrett's shop Kranky Cycles is right down the hill in Highlands. I don't know how he did with the storm but he is a great wrench. Just sorted out my bike with 10 speed XT before a trip to VT.

Garrett is the man! He's a great wrench and a strong rider. Him and I have had a few rides together and what he can do on a hardtail, most cats can't do on a full 5+ squish! Support his shop!

don

Garrett is the man! He's a great wrench and a strong rider. Him and I have had a few rides together and what he can do on a hardtail, most cats can't do on a full 5+ squish! Support his shop!

Yup, real solid guy that I've known since he was at Peddler in Red Bank. He has seen it all on the bike stand. Glad he has his own gig going on now.

Like you said dogo - support the rider owned shops!

dogo

Yup, real solid guy that I've known since he was at Peddler in Red Bank. He has seen it all on the bike stand. Glad he has his own gig going on now.

Like you said dogo - support the rider owned shops!

you mean Bike Haven in Fair Haven right? Though he did tell me he also worked at the Peddler in Long Branch years ago.

don

you mean Bike Haven in Fair Haven right? Though he did tell me he also worked at the Peddler in Long Branch years ago.

Nope, Peddler in Red Bank. They had a shop there and another in Eatontown called Budget Bikes. Right where the EMS is actually. They had a little DJ section on the side of the shop as well at the Eatontown store - that was probably back in '98 I think. I think Garret went over to Bike Haven after the Peddler Red Bank closed.

rustynuts

Nope, Peddler in Red Bank. They had a shop there and another in Eatontown called Budget Bikes. Right where the EMS is actually. They had a little DJ section on the side of the shop as well at the Eatontown store - that was probably back in '98 I think. I think Garret went over to Bike Haven after the Peddler Red Bank closed.

The Peddler was one street over from Monmouth St (theres a boutique clothing store there now) and Starbucks on the corner? I always remember a bike shop in Red Bank when I was in High School, but didn't know it was the Peddler. Thanks for the info/history.

wonderturtle

yeah, I remember when Peddler was in Red Bank. it's a clothing boutique now (kinda like Banana Republic but even more metro...)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions