Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
From where the wooden outhouse is to the parking lot entrance. If that makes sense.
You mean the Kiosk with trail map.

Yes, we are going to fix the entrance to Rocky point. I scoped out a new line that is more sustainable.

I have a big group coming on Thursday June 2nd 9 - 12 pm.

If you have trail building experience or have done TM, let me know if you are available on 6/2. I could use help managing a group of 20 people.

Thanks

Ronnie B

You mean the Kiosk with trail map.

Yes, we are going to fix the entrance to Rocky point. I scoped out a new line that is more sustainable.

I have a big group coming on Thursday June 2nd 9 - 12 pm.

If you have trail building experience or have done TM, let me know if you are available on 6/2. I could use help managing a group of 20 people.

Thanks
No, I don't have experience but I know that is easy to fix and this might be a silly question, but the 9-12, is that morning or night?

Robin

I don't get to Hartshorne often - maybe twice a year at most. Kudos to all the trail work that is being done - ran into @pooriggy today and he told me about the new trail by the water tower and out to the lighthouse. Good stuff!

Overall, trails were in good shape and some clipping done. Some soft/muddy areas, but I feel like they are the "usual" spots.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I don't get to Hartshorne often - maybe twice a year at most. Kudos to all the trail work that is being done - ran into @pooriggy today and he told me about the new trail by the water tower and out to the lighthouse. Good stuff!

Overall, trails were in good shape and some clipping done. Some soft/muddy areas, but I feel like they are the "usual" spots.
I rode those trails yesterday. As fun as they are, I have to imagine there will be some close calls with the amount of hikers on the trails at Hartshorne.

Karate Monkey

I rode those trails yesterday. As fun as they are, I have to imagine there will be some close calls with the amount of hikers on the trails at Hartshorne.

The "local" riders usually go early or late. Hiker interaction is lower than you may think--I pass/intersect maybe 3-4 [groups of] people per 1-3 hour ride. I did manage to wind up passing the same guy 4 times in one ride, and we had a snort about it.

The only really sketchy section, imo, is Grand Tour between the bottom of the connector to Rocky Point/and the water tower. The 'downhill' bit gets overgrown super fast, and the trail takes a few lazy 'S' curves that totally block off any line of sight. Judicious bell ringing is a good idea, and that's no guarantee of no bad interactions.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
The "local" riders usually go early or late. Hiker interaction is lower than you may think--I pass/intersect maybe 3-4 [groups of] people per 1-3 hour ride. I did manage to wind up passing the same guy 4 times in one ride, and we had a snort about it.

The only really sketchy section, imo, is Grand Tour between the bottom of the connector to Rocky Point/and the water tower. The 'downhill' bit gets overgrown super fast, and the trail takes a few lazy 'S' curves that totally block off any line of sight. Judicious bell ringing is a good idea, and that's no guarantee of no bad interactions.
I'm only there on Wednesdays, so no real issue. My comment had more to do with a typical weekend crowd.

GreenMachine

Hadn’t ridden here in 10 months - dynamite trail work - thank you - park looks / rides as good as I can remember.
Bonebuster probably needs a new name though …

krink

Eddie Munster
Ive ridden the new trail out to the Twin Lights a few times now, trail is awesome, Thanks! Each time Im seeing fresh broken glass imbedded in the trail about 3/4 of the way to the light houses. Each time, Ive kicked it off the trail into the brush. I was there this past Tuesday and saw that there were large pieces of broken bottle buried in the surface of the trail. Some douche is making his presence known. Be careful in there. Anyone else find this?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ive ridden the new trail out to the Twin Lights a few times now, trail is awesome, Thanks! Each time Im seeing fresh broken glass imbedded in the trail about 3/4 of the way to the light houses. Each time, Ive kicked it off the trail into the brush. I was there this past Tuesday and saw that there were large pieces of broken bottle buried in the surface of the trail. Some douche is making his presence known. Be careful in there. Anyone else find this?
It's an old dump site, this is how people got rid of stuff back in the day. Glass is buried there, there is no douche. You are welcome.

qclabrat

Wow, that sucks. Wasn't there issues like this a few years back? Anyone know if the rangers are aware? This will be my home park soon for part of the year so even more pissed than normal over this

Karate Monkey

Wow, that sucks. Wasn't there issues like this a few years back? Anyone know if the rangers are aware? This will be my home park soon for part of the year so even more pissed than normal over this

See above, you are right under the lighthouse.

The keepers deffo did not cart hundreds of pounds of glass down the [crappy] road to go throw it out. If you're lucky, you might find a valuable bottle (I think I saw a ribbed one last time I was out there, but it was steadily misting, so I booked back to the car).

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions