Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
I like CR always had good rides. She loves it on the fatbike but finds the couple sections on Red with all the rocks tough. She actually a pretty good rider but is not a fan of rocks.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
surprised that read is the section she takes issue with if she doesnt like rocks, what about yellow? or orange even. . . .

Karate Monkey

Just an FYI to anyone considering going, in two days, I encountered no less than 3 large groups of people each with multiple, unleashed dogs.

Consider complaining to the rangers if you see it, especially in light of the person who got bit a couple of years ago.

Karate Monkey

Rode today around 1 o'clock. High areas of the park were (as normal) relatively dry, with the typical wet duff on the trail tread on the fire roads. UNFORTUNATELY there was someone who decided that, either immediately after - or during - the rain to ride down the water tower downhill at Grand Tour. They locked their brakes over almost every single step, and tore out a huge rut on the downhill side of each step; these were not present last week before the rain. Part of me wants to believe that it was someone who didn't know better...the other part of me says that whomever was rolling minions down there last week needs to get out with a shovel and fix it.

The lower sections were marginal (Portland Road section of Rocky Point) to don't-go (the cabin/marsh section of Grand Tour). By the time I left (right before the showers passed through) the trail was getting drier/firmer in general. I avoided the marshy parts of the park (including the Claypit connector), but they should be rideable by tomorrow afternoon.

Huber was typical Huber, as the Many Log section had numerous large puddles, while the Valley View section was damp, but perfectly rideable.

Tomorrow should be fine ?

don

Rode today around 1 o'clock. High areas of the park were (as normal) relatively dry, with the typical wet duff on the trail tread on the fire roads. UNFORTUNATELY there was someone who decided that, either immediately after - or during - the rain to ride down the water tower downhill at Grand Tour. They locked their brakes over almost every single step, and tore out a huge rut on the downhill side of each step; these were not present last week before the rain. Part of me wants to believe that it was someone who didn't know better...the other part of me says that whomever was rolling minions down there last week needs to get out with a shovel and fix it.

It sounds like the rain itself did it. I haven't been to Hart/Huber since the rains last week but I've seen other places in the area get really blown out from the heavy precip. If it is the section of trail at Hartshorne that I think it is (Grand Tour Trail, near the water tower, north side of the fireroad) then it has been a rutted disaster for years and makes more sense that the rains would create huge ruts vs a rider.

Reactions: Tim

RobW

we need an eagle scout to come in and help that nasty section between claypit creek and main park!

Ronnie B

we need an eagle scout to come in and help that nasty section between claypit creek and main park!
The mud area that has sliced logs used stepping stones for hikers? Right before the wooden bridge (not to confused with the metal bridge down a bit further on the trail.

TimBay

Yeah, the volunteer fix is fine for hikers, but garbage for riding. Just take the alt route before it when heading from the lot and forget it.

Karate Monkey

It sounds like the rain itself did it. I haven't been to Hart/Huber since the rains last week but I've seen other places in the area get really blown out from the heavy precip. If it is the section of trail at Hartshorne that I think it is (Grand Tour Trail, near the water tower, north side of the fireroad) then it has been a rutted disaster for years and makes more sense that the rains would create huge ruts vs a rider.

Generally, I would agree--except in this particular case, there were tire tracks above, a divot, and then more tire tracks.

don

Generally, I would agree--except in this particular case, there were tire tracks above, a divot, and then more tire tracks.

I'm guessing that was post rain tire marks - the amount that came thru would have washed all but dirt bike marks.

Maybe the rains dropped a bunch of soft and wet material on the down side of each step and that Minion tire rider came thru before things stabilized/dried out (like you said during the rain or right after). The rider didn't know any better and to be honest it's not their fault. That whole section of trail has been a disaster for years and is past overdue for a update to something more low angle/more sustainable.

Karate Monkey

I'm guessing that was post rain tire marks - the amount that came thru would have washed all but dirt bike marks.

Maybe the rains dropped a bunch of soft and wet material on the down side of each step and that Minion tire rider came thru before things stabilized/dried out (like you said during the rain or right after). The rider didn't know any better and to be honest it's not their fault. That whole section of trail has been a disaster for years and is past overdue for a update to something more low angle/more sustainable.

Can't disagree with what you've said, other than to say it to the park system, too. They're tired of hearing from me.

• Haha
Reactions: don

TimBay

Can't disagree with what you've said, other than to say it to the park system, too. They're tired of hearing from me.
It's such a small section rarely used by hikers. I would imagine they'd sooner close it off than repair it. With the whole covid thing, I haven't seen any updates for TM sessions.

rustynuts

My vote is for a bridge over that area. They’ve filled it in with wood chips, did some other random stuff and now the round discs from trees. That’s my vote for sustainability.
Don knows way more than me. So I deflect to his ideas.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
My vote is for a bridge over that area. They’ve filled it in with wood chips, did some other random stuff and now the round discs from trees. That’s my vote for sustainability.

I've discussed this section with the park system. A wooded bridge would be ideal. However, this section of the trail is either State property or wetlands. (one or the other or both I forget). Either way, the Park system can't build a wooden bridge over the area, it has to be "natural". Hence the wood chip and round discs from trees.

I just do the cut through and bypass it completely.

rustynuts

I've discussed this section with the park system. A wooded bridge would be ideal. However, this section of the trail is either State property or wetlands. (one or the other or both I forget). Either way, the Park system can't build a wooden bridge over the area, it has to be "natural". Hence the wood chip and round discs from trees.

I just do the cut through and bypass it completely.
Got it.
I also use the cut thru when I don’t think the trail will be dry ahead.
My two worries are that someone is going to pop out of the cut thru to the road and get hit by a car. Then you are also now vulnerable to cross the street making a left into Hart as you cross the road.
We are all like minded. Smart folks. Our input probably could go in an email to the park, but we are so undervalued by them. Here is to being hopeful they now cut some of the overgrowth back.

mwlikesbikes

The mud area that has sliced logs used stepping stones for hikers? Right before the wooden bridge (not to confused with the metal bridge down a bit further on the trail.
I was thinking that someone could screw some 2x6 planks onto the stepping stone logs.

don

It's such a small section rarely used by hikers. I would imagine they'd sooner close it off than repair it. With the whole covid thing, I haven't seen any updates for TM sessions.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same area ? . I was talking about (and I believe KM as well) the slope near the water tower. Where it says "Grand Tour Trails" and "hill top" on this map: https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/trail-maps.17/#lg=post-19&slide=1

If that's not what you guys and KM were speaking of then disregard my comments, haha (although I still stand by that section of trail needed a major fix/reroute).

Rusty thanks for the props but I am still learning and I just try and study things I what good trail builders post on IG. And I try and learn from the work I've done on various projects. I've made lots of mistakes but the good thing about dirt/wood/rock it is easy to change.

I agree that the Covid will make it tough for TM's. And I'm going to sound like an asshole but I think the current TM model isn't great anyways. I'm sure there are reasons why with insurance and organization but I feel a 2-3 person crew mid-week 1-2 hours is the way to go.

TimBay

I'm not sure we are talking about the same area ? . I was talking about (and I believe KM as well) the slope near the water tower. Where it says "Grand Tour Trails" and "hill top" on this map: https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/trail-maps.17/#lg=post-19&slide=1

If that's not what you guys and KM were speaking of then disregard my comments, haha (although I still stand by that section of trail needed a major fix/reroute).

Rusty thanks for the props but I am still learning and I just try and study things I what good trail builders post on IG. And I try and learn from the work I've done on various projects. I've made lots of mistakes but the good thing about dirt/wood/rock it is easy to change.

I agree that the Covid will make it tough for TM's. And I'm going to sound like an asshole but I think the current TM model isn't great anyways. I'm sure there are reasons why with insurance and organization but I feel a 2-3 person crew mid-week 1-2 hours is the way to go.
I was talking about bone buster Bing bong, the section with those roots and water bars. I thought that's what was mentioned being washed out. If so, I stand by the fact that it's not often used by hikers and is such a small loop that they'd likely just shut that 1 section down rather than address it.

You're 100% right that the availability of TM doesn't do enough for the trails. I will say that when I went last fall, they basically let me lead my group and do what I wanted. They have also listened to us when we've presented problem areas to address. While more frequent small groups would definitely be great, we're stuck with the main issue being that a park officer has to be present for any TM, which limits the ability to do more frequent maintenance.

What we can do is keep them posted on what we find as issues and actually show up to the sessions that are there. I think we only had 4-5 mtbnj members there last time. In my opinion, we should strive for triple that number in the future. Gotta work with what we got.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.

That section needs a major reroute. That would be the only fix for this.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions