Hardest Hillclimb Ever Achieved (In NJ)

have I seen all of CR

I've been to CR quite a few times but I get the feeling I haven't seen all of it. Which is the Gilbride side and where is this climb. I park on Newman and have ridden past the baseball field but can't picture the climb you're talking about?

I've been to CR quite a few times but I get the feeling I haven't seen all of it. Which is the Gilbride side and where is this climb. I park on Newman and have ridden past the baseball field but can't picture the climb you're talking about?

If you are driving up Chimney Rock road coming from 22, before you get to the ball fields there is a right hand turn, thats Gilbride Lane. If you park in the ball fields on Chimney Rock rd and head into the woods over where the wooden pedestrian bridge crosses over the stream, there is a trail that will take you through the stream and up to Gilbride Lane. Cross over Gilbride Lane and there is a bit of trails in there as well.

The climb they may be referring to *might* be the switchback trail that takes you back to Chimney Rock rd.

The one we're talking about it right along the river, not the switch near CR road. Not a lot of people know about it. The first time you ever go down it you more than likely bail because it's so friggin steep and loose.

thanks for the info

I guess I'll have to look around next time I'm there or maybe join a group ride there or something but it sounds like fun. (going down anyway)

Yea, I go up the CR rd switch back to top where look out is, across from the eagle lookout point. Then head left down real dicey, rocky toward water, then that climb is as trail leaves stream and heads toward Gilbride lane. Big fun over there. Looking fwd to it drying or freezing. Haven't been there since Dec.

Not that I know of. I was once with Maurice and Dr. Jim (among others) and they got maybe halfway up. That's a tough one.
Is this when we were there in September? That is indeed a nasty climb.

I've yet see anyone make that yet. Jim has made it about 1/2 way up a few times. Knowing him he won't give up & will make it 1 of these days. maybe a 29er will make it. :D

Back
Top Bottom