GPS Recommendations

Dave,
I'm not sure where you're at with this project, but I honestly think your best bet is just using tons of layers Photoshop. A number of years ago I made a trail map as a volunteer project and it was by far the quickest and easiest solution. After all the end map is going on to an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper so you don't need complete pinpoint accuracy.

Wouldn't you lose a bit of the accuracy by doing that?

You can't just take 2 gps files and merge them?

nope. the garmins can only read 1 line at a time. if you drew a line for every trail, you'd have to turn every single line on so they show up on your base map. each line would be it's own file.
this is why when i do this you have to draw the entire map out with a single line, backing over itself when needed to get a complete map.
there needs to be a way to edit the base map file itself so you can draw like roads on it so they show up all the time.

That guy showed up a few months ago with a NJ super map. He was combining all the trails in NJ into 1 course you could download to your gps.

Do you remember that? If so, how did he do that? If not...have you ever seen a mountain lion?

It was about 5 years ago that I did it so I guess there are easier ways to do it now. But my method was relatively quick and I would say accurate enough for a trail map (maybe within +/- 50')

1) Setup a base layer with the USGS topo or whatever background you want to use...
2) Then take a motionbased or map file of some of the data you want to use. Set it as a new layer and make it transparent. and move it around to overlap the USGS topo.
3) On a Third layer trace the GPS data making it pretty with whatever notes you want (trail symbols, colors, ect)
4) Then turn off layer 2, leaving you with just the USGS and the map level you created.
5) Repeate steps 2- 4 with however many logs you have.

Norm the advantage I found with this over merging GPS routes is that you wouldn't end up with multiple paths where you backtrack on yourself. Granted the software has improved since I did this so it might be a lot easier now.

Update: This obviously wouldn't be backwards compatible with making a GPS file to upload to your unit, only for a printed trailmap.

Norm I don't remember that, link?
I've never seen a mountain lion but I did see some unknown mammal in wawaynada that looks like it was turned inside out.

Norm I don't remember that, link?
I've never seen a mountain lion but I did see some unknown mammal in wawaynada that looks like it was turned inside out.

I tried to find it, but I remember too little of the OP that I don't know where to begin looking. I think the guy was around all of 1 week.

I hear there are ways to edit the base map. If I can figure out how to do it I can draw all my maps onto a base map and you should be able to import it into a 605/705
What would be super sweet is if you could add the trails as if they were roads, so your garmin could successfully use them to navigate from one place to another using the trails as roads.

My plan was to gather a bunch of routes from motionbased/ garmin connect and open them up in topofusion. Topofusion allows you to "merge tracks" to remove duplicates and the redundancy that is inevitable when going out and back on a trail.

Initially I would start out with the track of 1 large ride, and then I can also open the track of a second ride. I would then Merge Track.

Now I've got one track with both rides' trails, lets call it Main Track.

I can then open another track and merge trails with the Main Track and I have just added some more trails to Main Track. When I do some rides on new, non tracked trails I can then Merge them to Main Track, or do the same by finding others motionbased rides.

Eventually the whole network should be one merged track that I should be able to save to the garmin. I may even be able to color code the trails so they show up in the garmin as different colors, but I am not sure.

I have not even started this project yet though...too busy riding. I think it is a winter time activity for me.

Yea, I would also love to see that GPS link if anyone ever finds it. I don't recall seeing it at all.

ah okay I remember that. It's all the parks in one computer file, but it's going to be like 100 different maps on your GPS
Actually when I get home I'm going to load his .gpx file onto my 705 and swee what happens. Who knows!

I'm chiming in w/o reading all of the posts here, cause I'm lazy right now, but I've been gathering trail data park by park and this is my process:

Download ~5 track files (as KML) from motionbased. There are a few super MTB riders here that have a lot of tracks to chose from, so I tend to look them up first.

Convert each KML to shapefile and load into ArcMap (You can skip this and work inside of Google Earth cause ArcMap isn't free)

Manually trace the "average" trail line from the several tracks into one master track file for that given park. I also overlay whatever park maps are available to assist me.

Convert back to KML then to GPX.

Load the master track file for that park into my GPS

This was how I gathered the data to make the Six Mile Run map. I've been putting together data for Allaire and CR though I'm not planning to make maps of those places.

As I start hitting up more parks, I start to gather & process the trail data for them, though I haven't been doing much data work these days since time has been tight.

Okay I tried that big file
It just loads on like 25 seperate tracks, you would have to turn them all on to see them. One at a time. THough recently the new updates to the 705 have let it keep showing the one's I click "show on map" even if I turn it on and off, which is nice.
Doesnt' help the whole single line file thing.

Does garmin limit the number of points in a track? could be why it is loaded as separate tracks

it's because each park is it's own "track"
in order for it to treat all the NJ parks as one file you would have to draw them all out and connect them all with one continuous track

Sorta, yo'ull see the trail but you'll have nothing to compare it against since the 305 has no base maps. you can tell if you are ON the trail and possibly tell which way to go.

Back
Top Bottom