GPS Recommendations

Engignar

I'm sure this has been asked before, but my quick search did not turn up any threads. I have been thinking about getting a cycling GPS for on and off road use. Garmin seems to be the most popular, but I have been reading some posts that make me a bit leery to get one. I recall Bonefishjake recently saying the the Edge 305 is a flawed device after having numerous problems with his. I like the feature set of the 305 over the basic 205, and of course the 605 and 705 crank that up another few notches. Anyone want to chime in and make a recommendation based on their experiences? Are the additional features worth the bang for the buck? Do I need turn by turn directions? Is it going to break in two years anyway?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have the 205. It broke once, they fixed it for free.

I find myself training with HR lately. I'm seriously considering getting a 305. I guess that's a testament to the fact that I think it's a solid piece of equipment. I ride in all sorts of crap - 3 hours in the rain today. It works fine.

You do not need turn-by-turn directions IMO.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I've had my 605 for over a year and so far it has been bullet proof. It has survived mud and my gravity checking.

Have the additional features been worth it? Probably not on the bike, as it is primarily a route and training log recorder for me.

I bought the US map chip for it and use it as a regular ol' GPS in my car quite often. In that scenario, the graphics, etc. have been handy.

rquinn19

I like my 305, not sure if it's still at the same price, but I purchased it from my local Best Buy for $180 a month ago. At the time that was the best price I could find online or in store.

RNG1

I'm certainly not the expert on this stuff but I have had my 405 for about a month and am really happy with it. Still have yet to sit down and figure out how to race yourself and some other stuff but uploading info and viewing it etc could'nt be easier.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What's the 405 offer over the 205/305 but lacks that the 605/705 has?

RNG1

It's 2 better than the 205 and 1 better than the 305.:D

Sorry you know I can't help myslef

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wouldn't it be 200 and 100 better?

What does your amplier go up to?

ellbiddy

I just like it because I wear it when I run/hike as well as bike and it does everything that the 305 does just smaller and watch sized :) Hooks up with all the same wireless add-ons as well.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
wouldn't it be 200 and 100 better?

What does your amplier go up to?

11 ...

I have had the 305 and had no issues except a hang now and then.
when that got stolen I picked up a 205 it lacks the cadence and heart monitor but does all the other features of the 305 and was about $150 cheaper than the 305.

Last edited:

gtluke

The Moped
I have a 705 but I don't use the speed/cadence/heartrate so I should just use a 605
I seriously have no idea how I biked before I got it. I plan out my route and it's easy to stick to. Really really nice for the race prerides.
The hardware is fantastic, I can't break mine and I've abused the hell out of it.
The software is horrific, and it's not garmin's fault intirely. The entire GPS programming thing is just a huge clusterfuck of disaster and non standards. It's really pathetic actually.

Its downright retarded how many different softwares I need to use to satisfy my basic GPS needs. I don't think it has anything to do with garmin, I'm sure that If I had some other brand I'd have to do the same crap.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
It would appear that Garmin Connect now supports all of their devices, and Motion Based it being phased out.

As a Mac user, I've been pondering going over to Ascent, but will likely try Garmin Connect first, now that I am able.

Engignar

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm not any closer to making a decision, as it seems everyone is mostly satisfied with whatever model they chose. I guess the wallet will make the final choice.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
After discussing with the guys a bit more yesterday, I may actually use some credit card points and pick up a 705. ArmyOfFred mentioned it's compatibility with a power tap. Not that I have any current plans to get one, but...you know.

Also, I would hesitate on grabbing a 205/305, even though I'm more than happy with the 205. If you plan on having this for 5 years, does it make sense to get something that was released 5 years ago?

kush

FYI

Lowest I've seen on 705 is on ebay here

This is $349 plus $23 shipping. New, not refurb.

It's got HRM but not cadence. I find cadence not so useful for me..

By the way Norm, I think I left my HRM strap at your house strapped to a lawnchair.

qsilvr99

I went with the 705 and have been very happy. Not only does the 705 allow you to work with a powertap(don't have one myself), but you can also share maps with other 705s wirelessly. I have used this feature to get a route from someone on a trail before.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
FYI

Lowest I've seen on 705 is on ebay here

This is $349 plus $23 shipping. New, not refurb.

It's got HRM but not cadence. I find cadence not so useful for me..

By the way Norm, I think I left my HRM strap at your house strapped to a lawnchair.

I'll look for the strap. I don't recall seeing it.

Few Qs:

* How well does the strap stay on? My current strap drops down way too easily. It must be 10 years old. I used to wear it when I was a cow. So the elastic may be tanked

* Does it have any problems picking up your HR when you first strap it on? Sometimes my current HRM is flakey until I start sweating.

* How much interference do you get from overhead/random sources? There's a spot in my neighborhood where it pops up to 250 every time I ride by.

qsilvr99

Mine stays on pretty good, but it might be the roll of fat :(

I wipe mine down with water initially and it picks up fine for the entire ride.

I haven't noticed too much inteference.

RNG1

FYI regarding the HR strap, if it is the same as the one that comes with the 405 I have found it to be fine as far as not slipping. It also syncs with the watch really quick compared to my old one (don't remember the brand) it picks up HR really quick and I know what you mean regarding having to wait til you sweat as that was also the case with my old one. This one says to put a little water (or i sometimes put spit) on the plastic parts just to the left and right of the middle part where the ribbed part is and then it picks up instantly.
If you decide to keep your old HR monitor use some duct tape on that strap and it can help with the hair removal issue as well.:)

Top Bottom