GPS Recommendations

Also, I would hesitate on grabbing a 205/305, even though I'm more than happy with the 205. If you plan on having this for 5 years, does it make sense to get something that was released 5 years ago?

That is a really good point, although if they come out with some new standards that make a 205/305 obsolete, won't the others be equally obsolete? As long as it tells ya where to go...

That being said a 705 for $350 makes a 205 for $250 seem awfully expensive.

Anyone know if it'll work with other company's heart rate monitors?

I'd consider getting the 705 over the 605 if it works with my Sigma HRM.

The wireless transfer between 705s is another huge plus for me.

-Steve

I'll look for the strap. I don't recall seeing it.

Few Qs:

* How well does the strap stay on? My current strap drops down way too easily. It must be 10 years old. I used to wear it when I was a cow. So the elastic may be tanked

* Does it have any problems picking up your HR when you first strap it on? Sometimes my current HRM is flakey until I start sweating.

* How much interference do you get from overhead/random sources? There's a spot in my neighborhood where it pops up to 250 every time I ride by.

Stays on pretty well on me. If you ever find mine, you could try it on for size

I don't have problems. My wife who is more slender and perspires less sometimes has issues, but just wet the contact points

No interference for me.

Looking into the 705 a bit more I see some versions come with a cadence sensor and wheel speed sensor. Cadence is fairly obvious, but what do I need a wheel speed sensor for if it is tracking everything via GPS? More accuracy? Redundancy? So I know how far I was skidding during the ride?

You can get a refurb on eBay for $120 + $10 shipping. I wouldn't pay $250 for it.

The Garmin Connect website currently supports 605/705 but not 205/305. They claim they're going to add 2/305 support to the new website but the skeptic in me wonders if that's for real. I think they'll support the 6/705 for a while and let the 2/305 line drop. I'm sure they're calling the SDLC dead on 2/305, and they want to help their sales with that move.

The supply of 2/305 units seems endless. They seem to be everywhere, so I think someone will continue to support that standard either way. If nothing else, you have everytrail.com to be able to upload your data if MB.com goes the way of the Dodo. In general though it seems the open source community doesn't care enough to do much with the gps stuff, which is probably at the heart of Luke's complaint about the GPS in general. It may get better but I think that would require some legit competition to the Garmin Edge series, which seems to be by far the most popular choice for bikers.

Looking into the 705 a bit more I see some versions come with a cadence sensor and wheel speed sensor. Cadence is fairly obvious, but what do I need a wheel speed sensor for if it is tracking everything via GPS? More accuracy? Redundancy? So I know how far I was skidding during the ride?

Wheel speed sensor is ONLY in case your GPS fails. So its a redundancy.

I don't think I've ever had the wheel/cadance thing work for an entire ride. partly because I usually forget to adjust it before I leave, but when I do I always manage to knock it around enough to stop working. maybe I have an odd chainstay on my epic but it JUST barely will work when adjusted all the way out, and it has to be mounted tilted towards the cranks to pick that up.

And Norm is probably right about the open source thing, but the big 3 in the picture get pieces working correctly, but nothing will do all.
Garmin can do history fine, has topo and street maps.
Google can create routes great using sat images and supports image overlays for tracing out trail maps, but it's a hassle to get the gps file into the unit.
Microsoft is the only easy to use GPS while driving device, which is mandatory for my rally outings. But you have to use streets and trips, which has no topo or sat images. google earth can do real time gps, but since google earth exists only online, it doens't really work while driving now does it?
I have some hacking to do and I think I can get the garmin mapsource one to track real time, but that program is horrific at dealing with driving directions and finding places. But it has topo maps locally on your pc.

Whats missing from all 3 is the ability to add a trail network onto the base map. You can overlay a map, but it's got to be all one single line which is fine for the race loop, but if you want to add the side trails so you have a trail map, you are screwed. I've been doing it but you have to really carefully backtrack over your trail lines and add the whole damn network in one line. Can't add text like trail names to it either.

The Garmin Connect website currently supports 605/705 but not 205/305. They claim they're going to add 2/305 support to the new website but the skeptic in me wonders if that's for real.

My 305 is supported on Garmin connect.

edit: as i mentioned before the 305 can be had for $180 new.

Last edited:
So with Garmin Connect, one of things things I don't like is that I can't seem to follow a user. With MB it's basically:

motionbased.com/kush

I can't seem to find a user digest like MB has/had. I haven't looked too hard but it wasn't obvious.

The news just came out on 26th May that Garmin Connect now supports everything.

Remember to create your user name with at least 6 or 8 characters on Connect. I had just set mine up before they switched it over in May and it drove me crazy for a couple of days until I called (which took forever) and they had to update my user name over the phone. I guess if you were getting a new one and setting it up now it would not be an issue though.

I went with an Edge 705, should be here in a few days. The ability to view maps and topo was the kicker. It will probably take a while for me to figure out how to use all of the tools and capabilities this thing has, but that's part of the fun of a new toy. Thanks for the input!

I did, I got nothing.

I don't have an account so maybe it defaults to Total F'ing Retard mode.

I did, I got nothing.

I don't have an account so maybe it defaults to Total F'ing Retard mode.

Normie, I just figured it out myself, and I've been using it for months.

Open up the filters, there is a box for user name... enter icantor ... clear out the location and key word ... let'er rip

Cool, got it.

I need a new PC. Getting an iPhone next week and possibly a 705 soon enough. Can't keep plugging these things into my craptop.

Back
Top Bottom