Glasses

jimmysnukastyle

What's the deal with glasses? I don't know where to start. I should probably protect my eyes. I bought a pair at a bike shop but they got all fogged up.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
ride faster and they wont fog up. :D if it's really hot and humid out, i just don't wear glasses, but i usually try to. it definitely sucks to get mud or a branch in your eye in the middle of a sweet singletrack. i use oakly M-frames. i like em, except when it's really humid out.

also, take them off when you stop.

ytc100

What's the deal with glasses? I don't know where to start. I should probably protect my eyes. I bought a pair at a bike shop but they got all fogged up.

Go to a ski shop and buy a "smith no fog cloth" used for goggles. Wipe your glasses down with it before you start your ride. It will help a lot with the fogging.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm a big fan of the smiths. i'm on pair number...um...technically four at this point.

jimmysnukastyle

I bought some Tifosis today - we'll see. I think part of the fogging problem was the quality of the glasses and how close they were to my face - too close. I know it's possible because when I ride with my Ray-Ban sunglasses they never fog up. I saw that cat crap at a store - didn't look legit - I'll give it a try - and the cloths - fascinating...

Thanks for the advice.

SpartaBard

I ride with a pair of Tifosi's as well. They do fog up, but only when I stop, and quickly clear up once I am riding again. As Anrothar said, just keep peddling.

lawndart

Shop: Campmor
Shop Keep
Tifosi

For the longest of times i'd wear my perscription glasses. But beeing more fashion orientated they are too narrow to protect my eyes from wind, especially screaming down a road at 40 mph on a roadbike. So when i got contacts, i bought a pair of Smith Axis with interchangeable lenses. The molding process must hav been faulty on my pair cause i could never get some of the lenses to snap in securly enough. Returned them and got Tifosis with photchomatic lenses. Still fog up on hot humid rides but i take them off if i stop.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I think any glasses will fog up on long climbs or when you stop. It only gets better in the cold.

J

JerseyGirl

I also use cat crap or some anti-fog spray. I definitely prefer to ride with glasses, however some conditions just make them fog up WAY TOO much. Before contacts I used to ride with my prescription glasses but in bad weather I tossed them aside and just accepted the fuzzy vision. It just made me feel like I was riding really fast that everything went by in a blur.

bozizle

Btw

By the way Cat Crap is a antifog wax like product you can rub into your glasses. Seems to work well if you apply it before every ride.

NJ Jess

Ouch!

Tifosi's were great today at Six Mile - didn't even break when I busted my shoulder at the end and ended up in the ER.

Ya know,...you aren't a Real MountainBiker until you either break your collarbone or separate your shoulder,...

PS. Put RainX on the outside of your lens and RainX Antifog (solution or wipes) in the inside of them. This will not only reduce fog, if they get muddy, you can squirk you water bottle onto them to clean them during the race.

jimmysnukastyle

hit a large root on the last leg - fast downhill. First time out with my new pedal clips and Tivolis so I was flying! I separated my shoulder - hurts like a bitch. At least I can make some cash selling my Vicotin on the playground to cover the copay...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Ya know,...you aren't a Real MountainBiker until you either break your collarbone or separate your shoulder,...

PS. Put RainX on the outside of your lens and RainX Antifog (solution or wipes) in the inside of them. This will not only reduce fog, if they get muddy, you can squirk you water bottle onto them to clean them during the race.

I know a lot of people who aren't real mountain bikers then.....:hmmm:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG

I try to wear them as much as possible... I've scratched my cornea (twice) and its no fun. That said... for most of the summer its way too humid to use them. I like some of the anti-fog suggestions will try that.

Top Bottom