Gas powered bikes?

Do we have a thread anywhere for dual sport rides? If not maybe I'll start one ...

I'm probably heading to the pines on Thursday morning with the small bike. Up for company if anyone wants to meet

Do we have a thread anywhere for dual sport rides? If not maybe I'll start one ...

I'm probably heading to the pines on Thursday morning with the small bike. Up for company if anyone wants to meet

I wish I could but I’m too busy right now. Keep posting, one day I’ll be able to make it. That said, I’m riding Suzukis version of the t-dub so I’m not fast.

I also have a much bigger bike (because I did a thing and just realized I didn’t post it) but it’s a lot of bike if there is single track in the mix.

I did this thing - a swap in the garage:

7A5A4B29-DB8A-41DE-947B-EEE1F3B9D715.jpeg

Traded the triple in for this used AT. Full disclosure: I definitely ate some dollars on this swap but it wasn’t terrible. I got a great price on both the trade in and the used price.

I love the triple, it’s an amazing, amazing machine, but I was gonna kill myself on it. And for the commuting I do, and the seeking of dirt roads and off the beaten path roads I like, this bike just makes a lot more sense. Added bonus: it doesn’t tempt me to keep twisting the throttle to achieve instadeath speeds in the blink of an eye.

I did this thing - a swap in the garage:

View attachment 202807

Traded the triple in for this used AT. Full disclosure: I definitely ate some dollars on this swap but it wasn’t terrible. I got a great price on both the trade in and the used price.

I love the triple, it’s an amazing, amazing machine, but I was gonna kill myself on it. And for the commuting I do, and the seeking of dirt roads and off the beaten path roads I like, this bike just makes a lot more sense. Added bonus: it doesn’t tempt me to keep twisting the throttle to achieve instadeath speeds in the blink of an eye.
cool - now trade that for a T700 =D

*edit: or don't, that's a beautiful bike and it has its place, but the T7 is better for dirt. it's on my list... that and the woods bike i just got would round out my stable. maybe for good!

Last edited:
Winter maintenance time!

Starting with the Bimota.

new_workspace.jpg

db4 is in position. First task was to update the headlight to the Euro version. Because reasons. The continental Euro versions had a pretty cool projector headlight setup that, naturally, I must have. It's a Yamaha part but very few bikes actually got the exact same headlight as the Bimotas. I ended up buying from Bimota Classic Parts. Two, so my buddy with the db2 got one.
db4-test-fit.jpg

So cool. Fortunately for me, Bimota had a subharness for the lights that used an easy-to-source AMPSEAL connector so I was able to make a decent adapter.

db4-headlight-harness.jpg

I'm going to make another for my friend. As I was working, I discovered that the fairing stay was cracked. D'oh!

db4-cracked-stay.jpg

I sent it off today to @Dave Taylor to work his magic.

I brought all the Bimota bodywork into the house so I can fix some cracks. The bike is so tiny with everything removed.

db4-stripped.jpg

Swapped it out for the Aprilia.

rs250-lift.jpg

One thing I love about the Aprilia is that it's just covered in aftermarket red and blue-anodized bolts that must have been quite cool back in the day.

rs250-anodized.jpg

Pulled the fairings off the Aprilia and dug out my front stand so I can pull the forks. Aprilia tasks:

1. Fork seals and stiffer spring
  2. Reinstall the oil pump so I don't have to run pre-mix
  3. I have an idea to raise the saddle with some standoffs to give a touch more leg room. I'm pretty flexible (the Ducati and Bimota are comfortable) but the RS250 is crazy.
  4. Fresh stickers on the gas tank.
  5. Clean anything and everything.
rs250-stripped.jpg

I've been meaning to explore the pines on my KLR 250 for a few years now. Just never got around to it. I've ridden Wharton and BTB on my bicycles the last 6 years, but never on the moto. Someone told me you need to register the bike at the office, get a permit or something to that effect. Is that true?

I've been meaning to explore the pines on my KLR 250 for a few years now. Just never got around to it. I've ridden Wharton and BTB on my bicycles the last 6 years, but never on the moto. Someone told me you need to register the bike at the office, get a permit or something to that effect. Is that true?

Not right now. All you need is a plate/registration/insurance.

Not right now. All you need is a plate/registration/insurance.
To add to that

Any of the roads are fair game and legal. Anything narrow is not.

That said, I'm told any enforcement is more interested in stopping quads and non plated bikes.

You'll have a tremendous amount of fun out there on your 250. Heads up on the water "crossings" some of them will eat your bike. However you play it, be respectful if you see others, I think land use there is fairly contentious.

To add to that

Any of the roads are fair game and legal. Anything narrow is not.

That said, I'm told any enforcement is more interested in stopping quads and non plated bikes.

You'll have a tremendous amount of fun out there on your 250. Heads up on the water "crossings" some of them will eat your bike. However you play it, be respectful if you see others, I think land use there is fairly contentious.
Good to hear. Looking forward to doing some exploring this year!

Still playin' with the winter projects.

@Dave Taylor did some sweet work welding and reinforcing the fairing stay on my db4.

db4-fixed-stay.jpg

I threw some primer on it for now. Undecided on powder coating or paint.

The Aprilia got new fork seals and a stiffer spring. I don't think the left fork had ever been opened. Oil smelled terrible! Left side is the spring. Right side is damping. Right side was newer oil but very low. I took 275ml out, put 350ml back in.

rs250-fork.jpg

Next task is to install the oil injection pump so I can stop running pre-mix, which is driving me crazy. The pump has several advantages besides convenience. It's variable, so less oil at idle, more at WOT/high rpm. It also feeds directly to the main bearings. Two strokes are notorious for seizing at high rpm overrun. Shut the throttle at 12,000rpm and the amount of oil going into the engine drops to barely anything. The pump is connected to the powervalve controller, so I'll keep getting full oil at anything over 8500rpm. Finally, I think it will be much less messy. The airbox it always coated in oil.

Unfortunately, the previous owner broke one of the fittings to a cylinder head and I'm missing a cover to protect the lines, so I'm waiting on a shipment from the Netherlands (!).

While waiting, I installed some LED signals, which was more work than I expected. The dashboard light is connected to both sides of the bike. When signals are activated on one side, power flows through the bulb and grounds through the opposite side bulbs. They don't light because only a tiny bit of power is needed. Unfortunately, it's enough to light the LEDs on the opposite side so all four blink. Not useful. The solution is a couple diodes and a grounding wire, as so:

rs250-diode-4.jpg

My life has improved considerably since I bought a decent set of crimpers.

More details here if anyone cares:

This one guy at TM…
Oh shit. I didn’t even know you finally traded for the AT. Congrats. Honda!
View attachment 206061

And she gave me a hard time when I had to get home, but eventually fired up. Of course after my wife asked me to jet home for a mild kid emergency. So she drove over with the pick up and ramps, and of course, it fired up then. It just needed some company to get going again.

That’s said, it’s the best trail maintenance vehicle. Go anywhere with it, and it saves parking space!

Back
Top Bottom