Full Suspension 29ers?

Just picked up a 2011 Hi-Fi pro and it weighs 28 Lbs. with pedals, went with the pro for the RP-23 rear shock, and Xt cranks. Will be doing a rim upgrade probably in the future since these are TLR ready rims but a tubeless tire leaks on them. Bike came with racing ralph tubeless tires but had tube :hmmm: So had to put on Bonty XDX tires with a Stans kit.

I read most but not all of this..

So IMO

If you are dying to have a rear shock and your budget is sub$2000 I would go 26" every time to save weight. (unless you are 6'-2"+) I say this because low end 29er forks and wheels are usually pig heavy. A heavy bike can suck the life out of you. Nothing worse than spending $2000 only to find out that you need to throw another $1500 at it for a Jenny Craig clinic. (a 30lb bike is like a 300lb gf)

Very few people need a dual sus 29er as their only bike. I remember talking with some guys last summer while riding the whole enchilada trail in UT. They couldn't belie that I was doing it on a hardtail. They were convinced that a dual sus bike was mandatory for that terrain. Then I told them that I rode there from Durango. You should have seen their faces...

I would also add that if you are coming off a 26" dual sus bike and your reference is just that, you should really consider a 29er hardtail. A 29er HT rides totally differently that a 26er hardtail. (you have to ride one to know) It will be smoother than you remember and you will see the trails you know by heart in a whole new way.

If I were to buy an XC 26" wheeled bike it would most certainly have a rear shock. (the one I like is still a year away) The only exception to this in my eyes is a dirt jumper. (which I need to ride more this year)

Take some time to be realistic about where you are going to ride it. If you live in South Jersey and you are riding smooth trails that have no rocks to speak of, there is little need for a 29er dual sus bike. It doesn't mean you picked the wrong bike, i just think that it is overkill for the local parks.

If you live in North jersey and you are riding a full rigid 26er than maybe there is a better tool for the job.

Don't forget to consider what the people you are riding w/ are on. If you a are on a ss 29er and your friends are on donkey ride bikes,then you are going to feel like a shmuck when they are launching off rock drops. (been there)

Bottom line is that there is no one right tool for every riding condition. A design that makes the least amount of compromise for the terrain you ride the most typically is the best option.

Last edited:
For me riding a FS at say allaire isnt overkill. Its rider preference for me. Yea if I had a ht then I would ride it 8/10 but 2/10 I might grab the FS because I like the feedback and bike behavior. And grab ill grab the ht too if I know ppl want to ride like its a tt but ppl always regroup. And if youre that far behind where they bitch then you just suck, dont blame the bike. :D

If I were to buy an XC 26" wheeled bike it would most certainly have a rear shock. (the one I like is still a year away)
:hmmm: whats this you say?

Just picked up a 2011 Hi-Fi pro and it weighs 28 Lbs. with pedals, went with the pro for the RP-23 rear shock, and Xt cranks. Will be doing a rim upgrade probably in the future since these are TLR ready rims but a tubeless tire leaks on them. Bike came with racing ralph tubeless tires but had tube :hmmm: So had to put on Bonty XDX tires with a Stans kit.

I'll take those racing ralphs off you if it's the bead leaking and not the tire... pm sent...

Last edited:
Don't forget to consider what the people you are riding w/ are on. If you a are on a ss 29er and your friends are on donkey ride bikes,then you are going to feel like a shmuck when they are launching off rock drops. (been there)

:rofl: donkey ride bike. thats a new one. hhhhheeeeeeehhhhhhhaaaaaww!!!

Hey Willy, congrats on new bike! If you think it's too heavy switch to Stans rims and convert to 1x9. Are you going race on this thing?

Hey Willy, congrats on new bike! If you think it's too heavy switch to Stans rims and convert to 1x9. Are you going race on this thing?

Thanks Robert and yes of course I am racing it ! Its actually lighter than my Epic. I am looking into rims just not sure which direction to go since this 29 er thing is all new to me. I have not been in the woods with it but hopefully it dries out soon, getting tired of looking at it nice and clean and riding the road bike. With the gearing its a 10 speed ,running an 11x36 in the rear and a 22,32,44 in the front which I am trying figure out on who makes a taller chain ring set with a little taller gear selection but I have been told that just removing the big ring is all I need since 29 er`s are harder to spin. On my Epic when it was a 2x 9 my big ring was a 32 and I would spin out and ended putting the big ring back on. I`m not really a spinner and prefer to mash a taller gear. I probably will wait till I ride it and dial it in before changing gearing. Any suggestions? Also my Epic is in the process of being sold and when thats gone I will be building a Hardtail but have not decided which one yet. In the mean time i`ll just use that for everything.
________-
Willy

Crests/Arches/Flows, depending on your weight and tire width are very popular options. I'm 205 pounds and went with Flows and still dropped some weight off the stock wheelset. I run my HiFi with 22/32/BG but you could also do 22/34 with no issues. I hated the big sweep bar and swapped for a conventional bar, too.

Good luck and enjoy it!

Last edited:
Thanks Robert and yes of course I am racing it ! Its actually lighter than my Epic. I am looking into rims just not sure which direction to go since this 29 er thing is all new to me. I have not been in the woods with it but hopefully it dries out soon, getting tired of looking at it nice and clean and riding the road bike. With the gearing its a 10 speed ,running an 11x36 in the rear and a 22,32,44 in the front which I am trying figure out on who makes a taller chain ring set with a little taller gear selection but I have been told that just removing the big ring is all I need since 29 er`s are harder to spin. On my Epic when it was a 2x 9 my big ring was a 32 and I would spin out and ended putting the big ring back on. I`m not really a spinner and prefer to mash a taller gear. I probably will wait till I ride it and dial it in before changing gearing. Any suggestions? Also my Epic is in the process of being sold and when thats gone I will be building a Hardtail but have not decided which one yet. In the mean time i`ll just use that for everything.
________-
Willy

I would go with Flow rims, this what I have on my RIP. As for gearing you will have to experiment. I'm running 1x9. 30t chain ring and 11-34 cassette. Works for me in northern NJ.

I think monster truck is wishful thinking as they are relatively "light". I believe "tank" may be a better description, or "500" when referring to anything outside a carbon framed FS 29er

It's more of a description of the height rather than weight - it's a tall bike and takes me (@ 5'-10") some effort just to get on the saddle. I built my bike mostly from team-sourced parts rather than with light weight in mind, but I'm surprised at how light the bike is (I haven't weighed it yet).

All this said, I just bought a Niner EMD HT (our team has a sponsorship with them and I could pass on the opportunity) that I will be building up over the next few months. I general assume I'll be using it for most races and for riding at places like 6MR.

I'm on my second GF/Trek Rumblefish II. Very versatile bike; especially with a gravity dropper seatpost.

If I could only have one bike for everything, a f/s 26er makes a lot of sense. Lots of options, good pricepoint, and with enough suspension, I don't see 26 or 29 making much difference. Many of the people on this board including the OP appear to live in south or central NJ. 29er full rigid is probably just fine for those areas. I have one and ride it on all the technical stuff at Allamuchy, Malon, etc. It works well and is fun for what it is but in no way is it "ideal". The only bike I don't consider viable is a 26er full rigid. In short, HT=29er, FS=26er.

Found my answer to the original question I posted.

I stopped by my local shop, Action Wheels, to discuss full suspension 29ers and they allowed me to take home a Specialized Camber 29 Test Bike for the weekend. A nice shop and great people. I rode this bike and my FS 26" back-to-back at my favorite trail. I found the FS 29er to share many of the same benefits of the HT 29ers I have owned. Stable, holds its momemtum, and rolls over obstacles. The rear suspension absorbs the extra jolts from roots, rocks, etc. that would still bounce the rear of a HT 29er around. Surely, anyone would enjoy the bike and those who focus on keeping both wheels grounded and full momentum at all times would love this bike. It's extra stability would benefit those a little shakey going downhill. If my routine was long distances and hours in the saddle this would be the best bike. If I was about efficiency, racing shorter tracks and shaving time off every lap a HT 29er would be my tool of choice. The HT's weight advantage and rigid rear can't be beat for these applications. That said, I smiled the most on my 26" FS this morning making my the answer easy. The FS29er had to roll over obstacles because its extra weight and wheel size made it akward to bunny hop over them. A tug on the 26 and she would leap over the piles as opposed to rolling over. Although it didn't hold its momentum the 26" sprung to speed much faster in the short, tight, twisty single-track trails I rode. In short, the bike wasn't as efficient or stable but definitely more fun. It is all very subjective depending on where and how you ride. What you enjoy.

I agree with Goldsbar, HT = 29er, FS = 26.

Back
Top Bottom