Frenchtown Preserve Conditions

Two of them were me and my friend. Record for me too, especially for a Tuesday afternoon. Good talking to you briefly. Thought that was you, couldn't miss the Otso!

IMG_9639.jpg

Hit the Preserve this afternoon - Beau-TI-ful!

I saw five other riders and a hiker - that is a personal record for me! If you were one of them, I was riding this…

View attachment 220050
I rode here today, it was only my second visit, the first was 5 years ago. I expect a fair bit has changed in that time. The red trail was fun, but by far the best part of the trail system for me was the bench with this view, which must have accounted for at least 30 minutes of my non-moving elapsed time today :
3c7G0jURyApHA8k23Zz9d8I1GUXDtkcMfOGterXV-LQ-2048x1536.jpg

And I too saw five other riders and a hiker on my ride.

I rode here today, it was only my second visit, the first was 5 years ago. I expect a fair bit has changed in that time. The red trail was fun, but by far the best part of the trail system for me was the bench with this view, which must have accounted for at least 30 minutes of my non-moving elapsed time today :
3c7G0jURyApHA8k23Zz9d8I1GUXDtkcMfOGterXV-LQ-2048x1536.jpg

And I too saw five other riders and a hiker on my ride.
Excellent spot. Did we pass you on the trail to that field? Stop there every time for rest and a photo op. Here's today.

IMG_9640.jpg

Just a heads up, this Saturday, Aug 19th, there will be an equestrian event at the Frenchtown Preserve. I’m told 45 horses have registered. They will mostly be on the Green Trails but not exclusively. May need to round up some good natured folks to help with damage control after the event. Should a “trail day” be needed, I will update. Happy trails!

Reactions: SAM
Just a heads up, this Saturday, Aug 19th, there will be an equestrian event at the Frenchtown Preserve. I’m told 45 horses have registered. They will mostly be on the Green Trails but not exclusively. May need to round up some good natured folks to help with damage control after the event. Should a “trail day” be needed, I will update. Happy trails!
Poop patrol?

One good thing is maybe the Green Trails will be cleaned up and trimmed for this. Let me know if a trail day is needed post-event and thanks for the heads up.

The green trails have been a point of contention recently. The bulk of the maintenance is done by a few mountain bikers. The green trails are less appealing to us and takes heavier equipment to keep clear, which is not available to us.
That said, they are perfect riding trails for equestrian users plus they are access points for EMS vehicles should that be necessary. A plan needs to be put in place for the green trails. I will bring this up at the next meeting with the property managers.

The green trails have been a point of contention recently. The bulk of the maintenance is done by a few mountain bikers. The green trails are less appealing to us and takes heavier equipment to keep clear, which is not available to us.
That said, they are perfect riding trails for equestrian users plus they are access points for EMS vehicles should that be necessary. A plan needs to be put in place for the green trails. I will bring this up at the next meeting with the property managers.
That would be great. The Green Trails do make good connectors. I've seen them when I could barely get through walking the bike around downed trees, overhanging brush, thorn bushes and other obstacles. No way horses or EMS could get through when they're like that. Last time I was though, they had been hacked back, though.

Are we talking a couple passes with a brushhog?
Then a hedgetrimmer?

Some of the Green Trails are double track, but probably don't need that unless worried about vehicle access. Just need to clear as single track IMO. Others could keep up the double track, if they want.

Good morning! A quick update; the equestrian event didn’t happen due to permitting with the state. So no extra trail work or horse business to contend with. 👍👍
The green trails are completely open and mowed.
There are a few spots where the stilt grass is encroaching on the single track and a few hangers here and there but the trails are in great shape for the most part. I hope you all enjoy your Labor Day!

Yes, this is private property. The farmer at the end of the Green Trail heading south used to help keep the Green Trail clear. For various reasons, this is no longer the case but the access hasn't been changed in case of emergencies.
Hi audionredio, thank you for responding. I’m a little confused. Even though it’s private property, is the public allowed to follow that green trail off of the Frenchtown Preserve property?

To mitigate what I felt was an eyesore, Tom Woodruff and I pulled a bunch of old tires out of the woods near the burned bridge/skinny thing on Red Trail and moved them to the Green Trail where they will be picked up on Wednesday for proper disposal. I’m thinking that they’ve probably been out there since the 80’s at least.
What/where is the “burned bridge/skinny thing”???

Hi audionredio, thank you for responding. I’m a little confused. Even though it’s private property, is the public allowed to follow that green trail off of the Frenchtown Preserve property?
Please assume that the private property is just that; private. In the past they have had a sign up indicating that it is private so I would assume they do not want trail users on their land. You are more than welcome to use the green trail up to the property line but please don’t go past the end of the green trail. And just so we’re clear, I’ve attached a photo of where I’m referring to.

Attachments

• 4348AC4E-6413-46E2-824B-EE60C5029E3B.jpeg
    4348AC4E-6413-46E2-824B-EE60C5029E3B.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom