Fishing Thread

Another great Alaska fishing trip. Gotta do at least 3 days fishing to deal with weather and no exception this time. First day was windy and rainy, the fishing spot was like deadliest catch - constant 10+ feet rollers all day. Second day was better, yesterday was perfect (but by no stretch of the imagination calm in open water). Highlight catches:

Biggest king salmon

20220806_082428.jpg

Biggest halibut - right at the keeper limit of 40"

11604.jpeg

Biggest Ling cod

11528.jpeg

Lots of coho salmon. Also caught tons of humpies and chum salmon which are fun to catch but not good eating. Back they went

20220807_152204.jpg

Limited out on rock bass one day in about 1 hour

20220807_124549.jpg

I caught this yellow eye. Good eating but protected in this area so couldn't keep

20220806_104014.jpg
The vessel

20220808_054740.jpg

End of fishing pic with the captain who was terrific. Native Alaskan and part indigenous. We are already planning to return next year.

20220808_153644.jpg

Another great Alaska fishing trip. Gotta do at least 3 days fishing to deal with weather and no exception this time. First day was windy and rainy, the fishing spot was like deadliest catch - constant 10+ feet rollers all day. Second day was better, yesterday was perfect (but by no stretch of the imagination calm in open water). Highlight catches:

Biggest king salmon

View attachment 193319

Biggest halibut - right at the keeper limit of 40"

View attachment 193320

Biggest Ling cod

View attachment 193321

Lots of coho salmon. Also caught tons of humpies and chum salmon which are fun to catch but not good eating. Back they went

View attachment 193323

Limited out on rock bass one day in about 1 hour

View attachment 193324

I caught this yellow eye. Good eating but protected in this area so couldn't keep

View attachment 193327
The vessel

View attachment 193325

End of fishing pic with the captain who was terrific. Native Alaskan and part indigenous. We are already planning to return next year.

View attachment 193326
Very nice, I have no sea legs and getting sick thinking about the swells. I think you mean rockfish, which tastes a lot like cod. My uncle when he was still alive used to fish them a few times a year. The color of the yellow-eye is amazing, glad it's being protected.

Very nice, I have no sea legs and getting sick thinking about the swells. I think you mean rockfish, which tastes a lot like cod. My uncle when he was still alive used to fish them a few times a year. The color of the yellow-eye is amazing, glad it's being protected.

Yes rockfish but they look like bass. Several very similar looking species that we caught but either couldn't keep or were not good eating.

Nice! I’m not a fisherman so I don’t pop in here. impromptu Yolo moment, friend and I took the kids out. He’s a fisherman . He hands out the poles. I prefer that. We were drifting. Caught a fluke and some other rainbow something?
76604352-B1F9-4BE3-BB58-7EBFD27E7411.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom