First Time at Allamuchy

D

DANSPANK

I met up with Heythrop this morning at the car park in KVSP then tundled down Sussex Branch Trail to meet up with Stan Le Cup before heading in to The 'Mouch...

It was my first time there but what a great place. Rolly-Polly, Cardiac Hill and the like - It kicked my arse and was more rocky than I'm used to but I stayed in the middle ring all day so was pleased. I fell probably about 6 or 7 times, got some great scars on my shins! But loved it.

I've decided that I'm going to believe the figures on my GPS from now on, if nothing else they make me think that I've achieved greatness iwhilst out there! 23miles, 3300ft (?) of climbing and a section that the GPS seemed to forget:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2470230

And I stopped by The Cracker Barrel on the way home - can't be beat!

Thanks for the tour gents - loved it!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
that's a really big section knocked out i would imagine. probably added another two+ miles. the elevation total is reasonable for that park and the branch trail. how were the trail conditions? not that it'll matter after tomorrow....

D

DANSPANK

I looked-up "Allamuchy" on motionbased just to compare teh amount of climbing we did with a typical loop by other riders and our very own Anrothar must be listed 10 times at least - including some 4-5 hour epics - You're an animal, son! And after watching Heythrop disappear uphill as Alex and I chatted - you're an animal too!

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
I looked-up "Allamuchy" on motionbased just to compare teh amount of climbing we did with a typical loop by other riders and our very own Anrothar must be listed 10 times at least - including some 4-5 hour epics - You're an animal, son! And after watching Heythrop disappear uphill as Alex and I chatted - you're an animal too!

Glad you liked Allamuchy. That is my favorite park (hence my screen name), for a number of reasons:
1. The riding is awesome, as there is a variety of terrain from low technical climbs on the west to extremely technical sections in the eastern part.
2. If you want to do a solo ride and just enjoy the woods by yourself, chances are very good you won't run into anyone in there.
3. It is just "unfriendly" enough to keep out non-diehard users -- very few hikers or horses.
4. The State just leaves it ALONE! Out of the 7 years I have been riding in there, I only ran into 1 ranger -- and he was lost!

Allamuchy is great for the epic weekend rides. :)

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
glad you had a good ride dan...that place is A LOT of fun.

i really need to get in there with someone that knows the place so i can get a loop. sadly, despite the fact i'm less than 20 min from the waterloo lot i've only ridden there twice. :(

D

DANSPANK

That's one of the advantages the Edge GPS thing - as Heythrop and I were chatting yesterday, I can just follow my route again sometime or download one from motionbased and follow that - no guide needed.

But since there's a good chance of injury in there it's perhaps not best to go on your own unless you know the place.

Shit, if you master that place then you can do some of the wicked balancing acts that you see on youtube - riding along chains, railway lines and stuff!

walter

Fourth Party
Just so I understand what I'm looking at with all of you guys and your motionbased stuff, that red flag indicates where you start and finished?

S

Stan LeCupp

Dan, Al it was good riding with you guys. Let do it again soon

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
But since there's a good chance of injury in there it's perhaps not best to go on your own unless you know the place.

this is really more the reality of why i won't go there by myself. maybe i'm stupid but the last thing i want is to wreck in a place where i have no idea how to describe to someone how to find me. and i know it can happen anywhere...case in point i know a guy from my old gym that wrecked at the tourne a few years back and had to be medivac'd out. split his helmet in HALF.

sadly, he's not even close to the same guy anymore. :(

stan, do you still have your weds free???

D

DANSPANK

Just so I understand what I'm looking at with all of you guys and your motionbased stuff, that red flag indicates where you start and finished?

Typically you get a green pinpoint for the start and a red for the finish (when you press "stop" on the thing) but since you almost always ride a loop the red end pinpoint overwrites the green start.

But, as I found out last week, you can run a map player in motionbased where a little blip follows your route - pretty cool! It doesn't work on a Mac though.

Click on the link above, then click on the "Map Player" tab on the right side and you should be able to see our path with a blip showing our direction...

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I've been in Allamuchy 30+ years...

..and I've never met anyone named Joe.I saw them but they didn't see me!If I had known that group had the mighty heythorp I could've seen if it was all hype or the real thing.Oh well someday.......and I'm always out there and available for guided rides so just ask you whiney little bitches.....................

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
..and I've never met anyone named Joe.I saw them but they didn't see me!If I had known that group had the mighty heythorp I could've seen if it was all hype or the real thing.Oh well someday.......and I'm always out there and available for guided rides so just ask you whiney little bitches.....................

Great -- if I ever meet an arrogant old man in Allamuchy riding a bike with flat pedals, there will be no question who it is now.

all in good fun, of course.

Spylab

I'm sorry for hijacking, but in a related topic...

Where exactly in Allamuchy are all you guys riding? My buddies and I have only ever ridden the Deer Park section, usually the yellow trail up to the white, and take the white all the way around and back. Where do you park and pick up some of the other good sections? Are the trails as easily marked as Deer Park?

I need some new turf.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
mike, head up 206N, bang a left on waterloo road (by the shell station) go about a mile or so (i think) and the 'waterloo parking lot' will be on your right. ride until you get lost.

Spylab

mike, head up 206N, bang a left on waterloo road (by the shell station) go about a mile or so (i think) and the 'waterloo parking lot' will be on your right. ride until you get lost.

The start of the Sussex Branch?

We took a couple side trails off the SB, but they looped around and dumped us back on the main trail...

Shaggz

A strong 7
Mike:

I hate stating the obvious, but try taking this map with you:

http://www.mtbnj.com/files/AllamuchyNorthNJDEPMap.PDF

this should help piece together some longer rides. i would suggest staying off the teal/highlands trail. you will see some connecting points between trails that are not marked on the map, but are obvious if you pay attention to the topography.

shaggz

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Allamuchy route

I've rode Allamuchy three times by myself and have not got lost, having a map (the one above) and sticking to the blazed trails. Here is a well marked loop you can follow that i posted before in another thread. It's been used by a few other people out there on their first ride and they said it was also easy to follow:

I found a decent 10 or so mile technical run out there that doesn't require a guide (it feels like much longer than 10 miles with those hills). Following the map from the Waterloo lot go to the red loop and follow it to the left (or clockwise around the loop, it is the side i found more fun of the red). Following the red in that direction, after reaching the pinnacle you go down a quick loose rock downhill, you will see an unmarked trail to the left. At the beginning of that trail is a pretty sick rocky bridge going over a downed tree that i hope to accomplish next year when i get awesome. follow that unmarked trail for a bit and you will come to a "T" at the white trail. Take a right on the white trail follow that for miles until you come to the green trail (this part seemed to take a while, go past "Ice Cream Hill" sign). Take a right on to the green trail and follow it to its end. You then can take the rail trail back to the lot. In able to find the rail trail you will have to take the road for a few hundred yards and you'll find the trail around cranberry lake on the right side of the road.

If you use the map at the waterloo lot and follow this trail it is rather impossible to get lost.

The red and white section have some nice hills and rock faces. The green is rather flat, and kind of boring at first, but hold steady, after it takes a turn it is nice, flat, and technical.

Top Bottom