Fatbikes of NJ Gallery

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My rear hub gets new bearings once a year, spoke nipples every other. It's a Fat Bike for fuck's sake, they live in salt.

i have learned that people like to blow the severity of maintenance out of proportion, or they just dont want to do it at all so anything that shortens that window and requires effort/time/money to keep up with is a problem . . . . .

Please include coupons for discounted hub rebuild due to sand/salt water contamination. Thanks
Scared to take the "good" bike after this talk about hubs destruction. Might just stick with the OnOne, though it's ready for a deep cleaning after a few rides at the Hook
View attachment 199565

the salt air isn't going to do shit to the bearings (they are sealed and greased), and unless submerged for an extended period its unlikely a substantial amount of water or sand is getting past the seals. (hell even getting that stuff TO the seals is a challenge)

rick81721

Lothar
Fat bikes are still a thing? I thought they went the way of the penny farthing

GettyImages-3090836_346810411_601271861-920x706.jpg

serviceguy

i have learned that people like to blow the severity of maintenance out of proportion, or they just dont want to do it at all so anything that shortens that window and requires effort/time/money to keep up with is a problem . . . . .

the salt air isn't going to do shit to the bearings (they are sealed and greased), and unless submerged for an extended period its unlikely a substantial amount of water or sand is getting past the seals. (hell even getting that stuff TO the seals is a challenge)
It’s not salt air as much as wet sand and salt water. I could feel my cranks and hubs getting crunchier with each pedal stoke…

qclabrat

It’s not salt air as much as wet sand and salt water. I could feel my cranks and hubs getting crunchier with each pedal stoke…
I feel it's the sand on the chain ring, cassette and chain which causes the most wear. Wonder if a gates drive or IGH better for regular sand use.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I feel it's the sand on the chain ring, cassette and chain which causes the most wear. Wonder if a gates drive or IGH better for regular sand use.

chainring cassette & chain are exposed and will certainly pick up accelerated wear from the sand, especially if you are heavy on the lube. That said you have the same problem riding at allaire and noone seems to worry about it there so . . . . .

either a) this is in your head or b) you had faulty bearings installed, as sand should not get past the seals on the bearings from normal riding.

serviceguy

either a) this is in your head or b) you had faulty bearings installed, as sand should not get past the seals on the bearings from normal riding.
Well, they were spinning fine until I got hit by spray from the waves (staying closer to the water on wet sand gives you a little bit of an easier ride, as I found out the very sane day) and they immediately started to make a craunching sound. The BB was a cheap Race Fare 30mm and the hubs are some FatBacks that I bought used with the fat wheels. Rather the interesting coincidence that I started imagining things right after the bearings got hit by salt water...I never checked the status of the bearings before so I can't speak for how 'sealed' they were but regular sealed bearings are not waterproof.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Here's my chain maintenance after 3 rides on the beach (90-miles/12- hours)

Simple wash with a regular ass hose. Compressed air to dry. 2 applications of Silca Secret Lube.

20221103_143439.jpg

20221103_143512.jpg

At the same time I reapply T9 to the spoke nipples.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well, they were spinning fine until I got hit by spray from the waves (staying closer to the water on wet sand gives you a little bit of an easier ride, as I found out the very sane day) and they immediately started to make a craunching sound. The BB was a cheap Race Fare 30mm and the hubs are some FatBacks that I bought used with the fat wheels. Rather the interesting coincidence that I started imagining things right after the bearings got hit by salt water...I never checked the status of the bearings before so I can't speak for how 'sealed' they were but regular sealed bearings are not waterproof.

they are not waterproof, but they are SPLASH proof, even spraying with a hose shouldnt get water into them. the CHAIN could have gotten dirry/grimy tho

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I'm working on the details of an ass hose Sponsorship Contract so I can run a wireless ass hose setup.

Top Bottom