Fat bike or 27.5 +

When there's 7+ inches of snow you dipshits need to be skiing or boarding. Not riding a bike. Tools.
Yeah because it's really fun to do ice boarding with the crowds on east coast tiny mountains. I bet you wear your Jets jacket proud at Hunter!

My original argument was that he said YOU NEED a fat bike to have fun in the snow, which is misleading. I've ridden in the snow plenty the last few years and snow conditions have more to do the with pack and temperature than anything else.
The reason the short track course went to shit was because the open men Field went on it.
If that same group went on it with fat bikes it would have gone downhill just as fast.

I don't need a fat bike to know that once theres 7+ inches, suddenly there's no tracks on the trails.

We all know everyone who had a fat bike and went in the deeper snow suddenly had buyers remorse :p

Speak for yourself......hence why I stated you really need to ask yourself if you will be out there.

I am.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
And no, there were no 29er tracks, or any others. A 29er wasn't breaking trail in anything shown above.

Not that I'm arguing with you that a 29er will go through that with any kind of consistency vs a fat bike, but that still looks like a ton of work doe, even with a fat bike. One can argue whether that is "fun" or "torture".

Hence why I say the truth is somewhere in between. This whole "I have a fat bike and I can ride in anything so skinny bike people are assholes" vs "I can ride in the same stuff with a skinny bike so you wasted your money on your fat bike" thing is kinda silly because neither is true.

I would have perfectly good fun on skinny tires in snow 1-2" less than in your photos. Once things are packed down, I would have perfectly good fun on skinny tires in the same amount of snow you posted. That said, I would have more fun on a fat bike in the same snow.

Last edited:
In my neck of the woods, the fat bikes are the ones packing all of the trails. If not for them, no chance you could be out there on a 29er like in jimmy's photo.

This is true. Whether we can ride in it or not, fat bikers are usually out at the first snowflake wandering around the woods. That trail breaking is what makes it possible for other folks to ride, including less experienced fat bikers.

Last year in prep for the ITI I broke trail on the Canal in 6-8inches from Piscataway to 6-Mile. It was not easy or fun but I did ride it.

I would not purchase a fat bike specifically for snow, just like I wouldn't buy a 29er specifically to do Cat1 races, most of us spend very little time doing either. Ride what you feel is fun. We're lucky in the fact that we have enough terrain diversity in our area for us all to be right.

In my neck of the woods, the fat bikes are the ones packing all of the trails. If not for them, no chance you could be out there on a 29er like in jimmy's photo.
in my neck of the woods...its the hikers that make the trails rideable in the snow. The tourne is the most popular fat biking/snow riding spot in north jersey bc hikers/dog walkers are constantly packing everything down. I have done plenty of fat bike riding in the snow...its just not that much better IMO.

I would not purchase a fat bike specifically for snow, just like I wouldn't buy a 29er specifically to do Cat1 races, most of us spend very little time doing either. Ride what you feel is fun. We're lucky in the fact that we have enough terrain diversity in our area for us all to be right.

Totally agree, buy a fat bike because you still enjoy riding it in August.

Thanks for all of your wisdom. I think for now I'm going to give the Plus wheel a try this fall and winter. With a chance of a Fat bike purchase later.

I got my Pivot with the intention of plus size for winter riding anyway.

Yeah because it's really fun to do ice boarding with the crowds on east coast tiny mountains. I bet you wear your Jets jacket proud at Hunter!

It's Devils or Giants jacket, because it pisses the Massholes off more. There are these mountains in VT and the Daks, that ain't so bad, although I'm sure your all waaaaay too good to ski there. And don't know Hunta, it's empty when the spring skiing kicks in, and they leave the bumps nice and big.

The truth is somewhere in between what @mattybfat says and what @jShort says. It's kind of like politics.
Everyone forgets the winter two? Years ago where fat bikes were rendered useless. Perfect packed conditions had happened liked twice in the last 15 years. There isn't one bike for all
Conditions, I don't have a fat bike and managed to ride in anything we have had in these parts. I thought the fat bike tread was dead with the '+' trend?

Everyone forgets the winter two? Years ago where fat bikes were rendered useless. Perfect packed conditions had happened liked twice in the last 15 years. There isn't one bike for all
Conditions, I don't have a fat bike and managed to ride in anything we have had in these parts. I thought the fat bike tread was dead with the '+' trend?
Why don't you ride your mountain bike on the road? I do it sometimes and it works great. You wasted so much money on a road bike HAHAHAHAH

Why don't you ride your mountain bike on the road? I do it sometimes and it works great. You wasted so much money on a road bike HAHAHAHAH

Do it all the time. Actually, it's often preferable especially if pavement quality isn't the best. Couple weeks ago completed the Vermont Challenge (roughly 300 miles in 4 days) on 29er rigid mountain bike.

13987544_10208405009860610_7123009450910026356_o.jpg

As much as I'd like to get a 27.5+ hardtail, it's not in the budget right now. Did the next best thing IMO and fitted the biggest tires my 26 hardtail could take, some 2.4" Trail Kings both front and rear. A little heavier than previous setup but traction has vastly improved.

Back
Top Bottom