Fat bike or 27.5 +

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rode a 27.5+ bike out in Moab last fall, and I fell in love and decided my 29er was dead to me. Since winter was coming, I decided to buy a fat bike, figuring on picking up a full suspension plus bike in the spring. I'm still riding the fatty, although I suspect I'll end up with a Tallboy eventually. Maybe.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Agree to disagree.
Your arguing with someone who hasn't ridden a fat bike in the snow so the opinion is mute. I have done both and once the incline goes up 29er is useless where a fatbike actually can be ridden up. Of course we are talking about a fine line of inches of soft and/or type of packed snow.
Perfect example that 1st short track race 2 years ago before the big dig, was a killer course for fat bikes but once the 29ers got in there it became a rutted unridable mess for 29ers.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Your arguing with someone who hasn't ridden a fat bike in the snow so the opinion is mute. I have done both and once the incline goes up 29er is useless where a fatbike actually can be ridden up. Of course we are talking about a fine line of inches of soft and/or type of packed snow.

My original argument was that he said YOU NEED a fat bike to have fun in the snow, which is misleading. I've ridden in the snow plenty the last few years and snow conditions have more to do the with pack and temperature than anything else.
The reason the short track course went to shit was because the open men Field went on it.
If that same group went on it with fat bikes it would have gone downhill just as fast.

I don't need a fat bike to know that once theres 7+ inches, suddenly there's no tracks on the trails.

We all know everyone who had a fat bike and went in the deeper snow suddenly had buyers remorse :p

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jShort ask @jimvreeland how fast that course would of went to shit if if open class were on Fatbikes only.

Buyers remorse is from not doing your homework. How many iditorods were won on 29ers?

I've ridden plenty snow on 29ers hell for that matter skinny 26ers and I can tell you fatbike snow riding fun factor increases over skinny two fold.

Top Bottom