Farewell Chris Schilling

The Kalmyk

@Schilling first taste of endurance racing. November 2011 with one of favorite riding buds @Mitch

image.jpeg

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
My condolences to the family and his close riding companions. I'm sure you fully enjoyed every ride together. Mourn, ride, remember. ...

Blair

It's my Birthday!
I can't complain about ever being to tired to ride, not having time, the hill being to long and steep, or having the wrong gear when I hear stories about people like this. Thanks for being part of the community, helping build the trails we ride, and being an inspiration to the entire community.

There's little to say for such a terrible tragedy, but stay strong. @jumpa the beauty of the ss is that there is no wrong gear, the pain is only in your mind.

Dr Superb

I've only rode with Schilling a handful of times but I'm heartbroken hearing this news. He was there for me when I first started riding and helped give me a tour of allaire. I will never forget this. He was also there on a few group allaire rides and gave his all on the beginner rides, helping anyone who needed it. I can say that I was touched by his selflessness attitude toward riding and the community. I can only hope that he was able to touch other as well, riding in NJ would be a better place.

RIP Schilling

wlee

Sucks that this had to happen to a really good guy. didnt know you very well but the few times we spoke and the little riding we did prior to the races and the chit chat we had after the Stewart 45 has left a great lasting memory of you. Never saw you mad. R.I.P

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
So very very sad. For him, for his family, for his friends, for us. I feel I got to know him too little too late, and only with thanks to all the great and heartfelt recollections from this awesome community of ours. Let's be sure to do Chris right by riding in one gear for a little longer, or at least once in a while each year. May he rest in peace and may his family take comfort in the fact he's no longer in pain. In fact he's likely already ordered himself a new SS up there made of a material of which we've never heard and of which we can only dream.

Fat Trout

I didn't know Chris but feel like I do from everyone's prior posts. I kept from posting as I felt it wasn't my place but I watched for updates. My stomach twisted when I logged on just now and saw what I hoped would be something I would never see. He sounds like he was quite a guy and I offer my deepest sympathies to his family and all that knew him.

Biking is such a great thing as it can mean so many different things. I guess we are (or at least I am) drawn to it like a moth to a flame. Deep down I know there is an edge I am flirting with, but I don't focus on it other than the glow and warmth it provides. I know there are chances and possibilities but I don't focus on them. I focus on the warmth provided either by the personal experiences or as I'm seeing here, the community as a whole providing such tremendous support.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Awe man I'm heartbroken. In remebrence of you Chris Schilling. May you forever rest in peace. My deapest condolences to the family.

FitmanNJ

I never met Chris, but the outpouring of love and admiration for him speaks volumes to the person that he was. It's clear that he'll truly be missed by those who knew him, and may he rest in peace...

qclabrat

Chris was at every TM at CR I attended though it wasn't his home park. I remember him heaving rocks from above trying to build fun stuff like this on the Hitek yellow trail. We were just acquaintances and regret not having that rootbeer with you.

I had another great ride today, Chris made me do it. Cheers Sifu
image.jpg

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I've been opening this thread on and off all day, and I still don't know what to say.

I met Chris through riding a few years ago. At first, I knew him as "Mitch's buddy", but pretty soon I knew him as "Schilling", a fellow single speeder who was a strong rider getting stronger every time he showed up for a ride or race. Through an odd coincidence that actually had nothing to do with riding, we had some overlapping friends into cycling, one of whom would regularly get a bunch of us together for winter sufferfests in Wharton. I rode with Chris a bunch of times at Wharton and Wissahickon, and raced with (or against) him probably a dozen times over the last couple of years. He was a strong rider and an incredibly nice guy who was always encouraging other riders - even those of us who were going head to head with him.

I didn't know much about him outside of cycling, but seeing all the posts on social media and the posts here makes me wish I did. What I do know is that I'll notice and feel his absence on group rides this winter and they won't be quite the same because he's not there.

RIP and godspeed, Chris.

Top Bottom