Essex county freeholders

Mathers

Ugh, Lenape. An absolute horrible trail in spots. Especially by the dog park. I have been proposing a trail re route to use switchbacks by Hemlock Waterfall for years. The straight up muddy and root filled section they have now is ridiculous and unsafe... Thankfully, NJ Trail Series stopped using that trail for their races. Their races were the ultimate cause of the distruction and widening of the trail.
That’s one of my favorite trails. I live that section headed down to the stairs.

ryderX

There are 3 trail race series in NJ that I know of that often run their events rain or shine. Crap, even the conservacy runs a race in May (Mayapple) throughout the entire reservation rain or shine. I've seen them DESTROY trails and have verbally let the the board know it.
There is a considerable overlap between trail runners and cyclists, dividing them into competing groups in regards to trails access is a losing proposition. Ultimately the effort for gain SOMO trail access for cyclists is a waste of time and resources. It’s been a nearly 30 year discussion and as long as Joey D has his hand on the tiller ( or hand in the till) access will never be granted to cyclists.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
There is a considerable overlap between trail runners and cyclists, dividing them into competing groups in regards to trails access is a losing proposition. Ultimately the effort for gain SOMO trail access for cyclists is a waste of time and resources. It’s been a nearly 30 year discussion and as long as Joey D has his hand on the tiller ( or hand in the till) access will never be granted to cyclists.
Maybe not SOMO then. Essex County has many networks. If they agree to a smaller park (Mills, Eagle Rock) maybe we start there instead of their 2,000 acre precious land.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Maybe not SOMO then. Essex County has many networks. If they agree to a smaller park (Mills, Eagle Rock) maybe we start there instead of their 2,000 acre precious land.

Which did they build all the freeride stuff in? Is that Hilltop?

Cassinonorth

-signed a Mtber/Trail runner/hiker.

goodvibe

I agree. Leave it alone and don't draw attention to it so that there isn't the same scrutiny that happened with our neighbor to the west.

goodvibe

This further engagement with county members is a result of my attempt at working with the conservacy and receiving in return an awful reply...

View attachment 150040
About 8-10 years ago there were meetings with the conservancy regarding the legalization. There were a few members who were in favor of allowing bicycling in the reservation. I went to a few of those meetings and it turned exactly the way the hearings went in Union County.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
About 8-10 years ago there were meetings with the conservancy regarding the legalization. There were a few members who were in favor of allowing bicycling in the reservation. I went to a few of those meetings and it turned exactly the way the hearings went in Union County.
Yep. Full aware of the past efforts.

Cassinonorth

I agree. Leave it alone and don't draw attention to it so that there isn't the same scrutiny that happened with our neighbor to the west.

Ultimately letting sleeping dogs lie may just be the best thing for now. No one's getting busted (I think?) currently and as long as everyone plays nice, it may just be for the best to let it go. Maybe some day if Joe retires (lol) we'll have a shot.

Mathers

Saw some County Sheriffs today with a mule (not the animal) woth lights on it.
Dropped 2 Sheriffs off and it turned around went back down forwards the river and they walked up towards Crest drive.

Cassinonorth

Saw some County Sheriffs today with a mule (not the animal) woth lights on it.
Dropped 2 Sheriffs off and it turned around went back down forwards the river and they walked up towards Crest drive.

Wonder if they could be administering vaccinations instead of harassing people on bikes.

Top Bottom