Essex county freeholders

Are they friends of JORBA?
At least some advocacy group gets a mention.
I have been talking to them for years about what can be done to legalize biking in the reservation. About 10 years or so ago there was an effort by IMBA/JORBA that sent a proposal for approval and never got approved. The Essex chapter of JORBA is the first organized county resident presence run who spend much time in these parks.

I was there at the meeting when it was brought up 10-12 years ago and there at the meeting tonight when Dennis addressed @Gene 's question. It was the same garbage then as it was now. It is never going to be legalized.

I appreciate you attending the meeting @goodvibe . In the Facebook chat there was a side discussion with Lori who is the operations director. I have emailed her the goal of how we can move forward and hopefully build mountain biking specific trails.

As you and I have been on these trails for many years they need work. Hopefully our successful JORBA projects and effort will see where we take this. Many on their self established board have a personal negative feeling on biking. My voice and goal is to hopefully change that.

I understand your frustration. I always like the glass is half full approach.

Why do Essex and Union County always want MTB specific trails? I rarely see parks with MTB only trails unless they are downhill specific, which would not be the case at SoMo.
Currently in Essex and Union County there are no trails for legal mountain biking. We have to leave the county to go mountain biking.

No one is asking for MTB specific trails in these counties, it would be nice, however multi use trails would add to an improved quality of life for those who enjoy mtbing in these counties.

Why do Essex and Union County always want MTB specific trails? I rarely see parks with MTB only trails unless they are downhill specific, which would not be the case at SoMO.
If you go back to the Watchung debacle, the original ask was for shared multi-use trails. The fucktards thought that was too dangerous to share with "those people", so the compromise was for MTB only trails with minimal intersections with multiuse trails. I still remember sitting at the final meeting, and woman whos property was along the park said "my house will be within sight of the trail. I mean I have little kids that play in my back yard. Do you know what that means?" or something like that. Um, I dunno, it means your kids will have an awesome place to ride their bike and get the fuck away from you?

**end rant**

Currently in Essex and Union County there are no trails for legal mountain biking. We have to leave the county to go mountain biking.

No one is asking for MTB specific trails in these counties, it would be nice, however multi use trails would add to an improved quality of life for those who enjoy mtbing in these counties.
It is insane that they cannot open up the existing trails to mountain biking and close down eroded trails that shouldn't even be there. Instead, they'd rather spend more money on feasibility studies and listen to the same group whine and moan over how the proposed mtb trail is in a sensitive area and will hinder the spotted salamander and barred owl populations. It is the more expensive and wrong approach to take. Inclusion of all groups on the same trails. Show that we will support the existing trail system (I already know that in both parks it is primarily the mtbers doing the work as it is).

If you go back to the Watchung debacle, the original ask was for shared multi-use trails. The fucktards thought that was too dangerous to share with "those people", so the compromise was for MTB only trails with minimal intersections with multiuse trails. I still remember sitting at the final meeting, and woman whos property was along the park said "my house will be within sight of the trail. I mean I have little kids that play in my back yard. Do you know what that means?" or something like that. Um, I dunno, it means your kids will have an awesome place to ride their bike and get the fuck away from you?

**end rant**
My big screen tv can be viewed from the trails! Look lady my bike costs $7k... I have my own TV and we are on bikes. I'd love the see that getaway.

**end rant**
5A52F7B2-8479-466F-BE38-46C9F849D352.gif

Unfortunately the best case scenario I see out of all this is the current situation, illegal on paper but lightly enforced. Which is a shame because those trails are embarrassing. I really can’t think of any other park where the trails are so poorly maintained.
And they’d be even worse without the low key work that the mtb’ers are doing in the shadows. I used to live a mile from somo but would gladly get in the car and drive somewhere else to ride.

Back
Top Bottom