Essex county freeholders

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I applaud your efforts despite the daunting odds. I worked with Don Schatz and SoMoCon 15 years ago on a similar effort, even highlighting the success we were having in next door Morris county. Even got a few of Morris County’s prominent hikers from the Morris Trails Conservancy to present with me at a SoMoCon meeting advocating for the value the MTb community brings. Sadly, after a couple years effort, it didn’t change a thing because DiVincenzo ruled the roost. Like others have said, it’s political. I think however a good first step is to get those signs taken down that say that trails are closed to bikes to avoid erosion. This is not only patently false but it fuels the anti bike sentiment from both residents and visitors alike. If we can take the heat off MTB and shift the focus to sustainable outdoor recreation for all, perhaps (political BS aside) we can make a step forward.

the schwartz

Getting parents of kids that race NICA to call their elected officials to ask them why their kids can't practice their high school sport legally in their county also couldn't hurt.
This is exactly where my head is at.

@Gene are you in touch with anyone on the Essex Offroad team? I'd like to make sure that Jorba flier gets sent to NICA families so we get them on email list as well. I'm not sure if Andrea/ Pedal Montclair are on this forum, of anyone knows please tag them or PM me (yes, i can also just call her...)

Gene

The Dancing Machine

@Gene are you in touch with anyone on the Essex Offroad team? I'd like to make sure that Jorba flier gets sent to NICA families so we get them on email list as well. I'm not sure if Andrea/ Pedal Montclair are on this forum, of anyone knows please tag them or PM me (yes, i can also just call her...)

Yes. I have Kristine, Stephen and Andrea’s names and emails. The plan is to bring them in as key stakeholders to this effort.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Getting parents of kids that race NICA to call their elected officials to ask them why their kids can't practice their high school sport legally in their county also couldn't hurt.
Caveat: this likely only holds weight if it is a school sponsored sport

serviceguy

What’s the deal with this Divincenzo guy and why is he opposed to MTB? I’ve been hearing about this for a while but can’t find anything, if anybody feels like letting me know, even by PM, it would be great.

Cassinonorth

What’s the deal with this Divincenzo guy and why is he opposed to MTB? I’ve been hearing about this for a while but can’t find anything, if anybody feels like letting me know, even by PM, it would be great.

His wiki is a decent summary.

As to why, I don't think there's a great reason out there. My feeling is he probably doesn't feel like dealing with the backlash of a mega wealthy community that butts up into the woods of the Essex Parks. Next time I see Luciano I'll pry a bit more than I did last year. There's no council election here in Roseland this year so I haven't been in touch at all with the Dems. He seemingly would be a good into the County commissioners (formerly known as Freeholders), he seemed receptive to my inquiry last fall. His disctrict for the county is West Orange, West Caldwell, Verona, Millburn, Livingston, Fairfield, Essex Fells, Cedar Grove, Caldwell and Roseland) so...all of the parks.

I know they don't have the final say in this issue but it's not a bad angle IMO.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
His wiki is a decent summary.

As to why, I don't think there's a great reason out there. My feeling is he probably doesn't feel like dealing with the backlash of a mega wealthy community that butts up into the woods of the Essex Parks. Next time I see Luciano I'll pry a bit more than I did last year. There's no council election here in Roseland this year so I haven't been in touch at all with the Dems. He seemingly would be a good into the County commissioners (formerly known as Freeholders), he seemed receptive to my inquiry last fall. His disctrict for the county is West Orange, West Caldwell, Verona, Millburn, Livingston, Fairfield, Essex Fells, Cedar Grove, Caldwell and Roseland) so...all of the parks.

I know they don't have the final say in this issue but it's not a bad angle IMO.

Probably every one of the houses that back up to the woods is owned by a mountain biker, same as Tall Oaks here in Summit. Yet it was those very mountain bikers that ultimately shut down progress to save face with the Mayor and their businesses. One of the most vocal anti bikers at the meetings has a trail that he built straight over Rt78 into the Reservation...

BananaFred

Opening up one section of SoMo in exchange for TM sounds like a reasonable trade-off. Tourne seems to have such a nice compromise of hikers and bikers.

robmaurizi

I sent a blast around to the team late spring/early summer when the initial push to get the various mailing lists was getting ramped up. Not sure how much uptake there was, but once the pre-season ramps up and we get all of the new folks into the system, we can probably do another blast with updated info.

Cassinonorth

I reached out to the Chief of the Essex County Sherriff's office (mayor of Roseland) and Luciano. Will update as I hear back from either of them.

Edit: Luciano basically said don't waste your breath, Spango said he'll discuss with the director of parks. So...not great.

Last edited:

Zaskar

I listened to the presentation last night. This is a LONG way off so there will be plenty of time to complain.
The land purchase from Norfolk Southern is the next step required which there is an agreement signed but still red tape stuff to be worked out.

Nearly 9-Mile​

Mixed Use Bike/Walking/Hiking/Running Trail

100 Feet Wide​

or more in width throughout the "rail to trail" route

135 Acres​

of new greenspace

8 Municipalities​

Montclair, Glen Ridge, Bloomfield, Belleville, Newark, Kearny, Secaucus and Jersey City

Approved!!!
Screenshot_20211112-101652~2.png

stilluf

Was hiking at SoMo Sunday, and Wow those trails are a mess. Lenape trail was basically an ice coated skating rink. Pingry trail turning into a rutted gully. A few efforts at armoring the trail, but otherwise no work that I could see to address unsustainable and eroded sections.
Very similar to situation at Watching: trails that were built years ago with no thought of sustainability are now a wreck, with the county land managers doing little more than occasionally adding gravel or cutting out a tree. Really sad.

Top Bottom