Essex county freeholders

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
This is kinda common, rogue stuff near me is the best designed stuff and most well maintained by far.

dedicated/ directional / single user group trails are a relatively new idea for this region, it is difficult to implement anywhere, let alone the worst county for mtb in Essex. Good luck @Gene

Somo is super weird, that whole side of the park is always good and they do work all the time. The other side of river is like a war zone.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Somo is super weird, that whole side of the park is always good and they do work all the time. The other side of river is like a war zone.
What trails are you referring to? There are many hours of trail work performed throughout the year. Unfortunately more traffic than work as most don’t feel they need to contribute.

Mathers

What trails are you referring to? There are many hours of trail work performed throughout the year. Unfortunately more traffic than work as most don’t feel they need to contribute.
How long is the new trail by blue/white going to be ?

Cassinonorth

If we're serious here I'm 100% in for advocacy in terms of showing up for meetings, doing trail maintenance in our JORBA shirts etc. Just tell me when and where to be. I have the lightest connection ever with Luciano but it can't hurt. I also know most of the Roseland Council but that isn't going to help us beyond the fact Joe D lives here.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
If we're serious here I'm 100% in for advocacy in terms of showing up for meetings, doing trail maintenance in our JORBA shirts etc. Just tell me when and where to be. I have the lightest connection ever with Luciano but it can't hurt. I also know most of the Roseland Council but that isn't going to help us beyond the fact Joe D lives here.
I've already sent the freeholders and department of parks my thoughts over email. I copied it in a draft to not hide what I shared with them.

I have been doing trail work in South Mountain Reservation for 10+ years. The result of the reply from the conservacy board and Dennis was a disgrace and while I wanted to bring them into the discussions for unity it is not something they are looking to have.

Some suggested creating a change.org petition on this. I am whilling to think that might be our next step based on the replies I get from the county.

I understood from reviewing the essex county page yesterday that the freeholders meetings are not occurring now due to the pandemic. I could be wrong.

Steve Vai

Yellow in particular is completely blown out. It's been pretty wet and swampy across the top forever buy now it's gotten wide.

When are trail days in there?

Mathers

The trails got hammered over the summer in SOMO

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Yellow in particular is completely blown out. It's been pretty wet and swampy across the top forever buy now it's gotten wide.

When are trail days in there?
Ugh, Lenape. An absolute horrible trail in spots. Especially by the dog park. I have been proposing a trail re route to use switchbacks by Hemlock Waterfall for years. The straight up muddy and root filled section they have now is ridiculous and unsafe... Thankfully, NJ Trail Series stopped using that trail for their races. Their races were the ultimate cause of the distruction and widening of the trail.

Steve Vai

Ugh, Lenape. An absolute horrible trail in spots. Especially by the dog park. I have been proposing a trail re route to use switchbacks by Hemlock Waterfall for years. The straight up muddy and root filled section they have now is ridiculous and unsafe... Thankfully, NJ Trail Series stopped using that trail for their races. Their races were the ultimate cause of the distruction and widening of the trail.

The Trail Series has also done irreparable damage at Watchung. The middle of the park is barely usable at this point. And we get the bad rap?

Gene

The Dancing Machine
The Trail Series has also done irreparable damage at Watchung. The middle of the park is barely usable at this point. And we get the bad rap?
There are 3 trail race series in NJ that I know of that often run their events rain or shine. Crap, even the conservacy runs a race in May (Mayapple) throughout the entire reservation rain or shine. I've seen them DESTROY trails and have verbally let the the board know it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
stop complaining - it is a bad look.
There are more training miles than race miles on those trails by a long shot

work on things in your/our space.
Some of them might be talking to the trail series people about contingencies when wet, or choice of trail,
and post race maintenance. Move them to your side, rather than push them away.

Also, remember this is a public forum - there is no need to register.
It will trigger google alerts for saved searches.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
There are more training miles than race miles on those trails by a long shot
True, but not rain or shine. Very little people will be in the park for down pours. Either way, it was a side bar. My focus is still on the county.

rick81721

Lothar
There are 3 trail race series in NJ that I know of that often run their events rain or shine. Crap, even the conservacy runs a race in May (Mayapple) throughout the entire reservation rain or shine. I've seen them DESTROY trails and have verbally let the the board know it.

I never understood the concept of racing on muddy trails when every other time we say "don't ride on muddy trails". Does not compute

Top Bottom