Essex county freeholders

the schwartz

What's the party line, for whom do I vote16026478115604114901271760623119.jpg

Or more to the point, probably, anyone recognize any of these names as voting against riding in Essex county parks?

Last edited:

bergsnj

Have there ever been "votes" for or against riding in essex parks? I would guess that none of these people know anything about mountain biking or would advocate for it. Its obvious that Joe D will never officially allow it while he is in charge. Its probably best kept in "fight club status".

the schwartz

Have there ever been "votes" for or against riding in essex parks? I would guess that none of these people know anything about mountain biking or would advocate for it. Its obvious that Joe D will never officially allow it while he is in charge. Its probably best kept in "fight club status".
A) voting history: I don't know
B) fight club: fair enough, but if there are any known friendlies on this list I want to make sure they get my vote. Baby steps...

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Anyone that wants to get their taxes to do some real work... for bikers at least.

https://ecode360.com/36412850
§ 74-14
Bicycles confined to vehicular roadways.

A.
No person shall ride or operate a bicycle on any County parks or property (including all County-owned facilities and reservations) on any surface or land other than a paved vehicular roadway designated or established for motor vehicle travel unless otherwise expressly permitted or authorized by the Director or specifically designated for bicycle use by appropriate signage.

B.
For purposes of this provision, service and access routes, paved or unpaved pathways or roadways/thoroughfares designated or established for use by authorized personnel only do not constitute "vehicular roads" open to the public for bicycle use with the exception of Crest Drive in the South Mountain Reservation. A bicyclist is permitted to wheel or push a bicycle by hand over grassy areas or paved areas reserved for pedestrian use.

Your profile:
https://ecfnj.com/team/leonard-m-luciano/

Department of Parks

Here is a draft of an email I sent to all. I urge all Essex County residents to do the same if you want to truly lealize biking in Essex County.

Good Afternoon. As a resident of West Orange I wanted to take the time and reach out to you as you oversee and manage the parks in Essex County.

As we move further into the pandemic's history with COVID-19 our visiting numbers to South Mountain Reservation and other parks in the county have far exceeded any prior years. Parking lots, trails and outdoor activities increases have filled a need for many families during these difficult times.

The amount of time and effort by the board, coordinators and volunteers has created a beautiful experience for these individuals and families .

Today there are 100s if not 1000s of county residents that mountain bike. Due to the county law these individuals and families have significant restrictions on riding here. With our towns, communities, county, state and federal government are focusing on mental health I want to address this.

We are in a great time of uncertainty. Having these restrictions in place shouldn't be one of them.

JORBA, NYNJTC and NICA are well run organizations that inspire people to get outside. It makes sure to include all young adults through adulthood. All ages can experience better health by going outdoors.

What can we do to address this law and reduce the blockage of improving mental and physical health in our area?

Gene

The Dancing Machine
This further engagement with county members is a result of my attempt at working with the conservacy and receiving in return an awful reply...

1611781117187.png

Cassinonorth

Well that response is just about as bad as they come.

I don't think SOMO should be the primary target initially anyway. That's the crown jewel. Gotta show that mtbers don't run over hikers and lead to better trails in Hilltop or Mills first.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Well that response is just about as bad as they come.

I don't think SOMO should be the primary target initially anyway. That's the crown jewel. Gotta show that mtbers don't run over hikers and lead to better trails in Hilltop or Mills first.
Great point! Give us Eagle Rock and Mills and we'll leave your precious SoMo alone type negotiation.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Is Kenneth Seebeck - Jersey Off-Road Bicycle Association an actual board member of the Green Acres Trail council? Does he know whether South Mountain Conservacy submitted any recent grants?

Gene

The Dancing Machine
They complain about the trail building near mayapple hill, but it’s probably the only section of somo with any trail maintenance. It’s also basically a no mans land between condo complex’s.
Not only that trail, but the IMBA/JORBA trail that was built while there was supposed to be good graces to place a temporary lift on bikers.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
They complain about the trail building near mayapple hill, but it’s probably the only section of somo with any trail maintenance. It’s also basically a no mans land between condo complex’s.
This is kinda common, rogue stuff near me is the best designed stuff and most well maintained by far.

dedicated/ directional / single user group trails are a relatively new idea for this region, it is difficult to implement anywhere, let alone the worst county for mtb in Essex. Good luck @Gene

Top Bottom