Electronic vs mech drivetrain

Dairyman

I just picked up an eagle drivetrain but am thinking about returning it for xt di2 1x11. Anyone make the switch recently? Would you do it again for stick with mech? Price is pretty much the same.

see my thread on this from today, seems like there's no good reason to not go electronic if given the choice. Precise shifts and easy adjustments seem to be the consistent feedback. Next gruppo will surely be eTap or Di2

I just picked up an eagle drivetrain but am thinking about returning it for xt di2 1x11. Anyone make the switch recently? Would you do it again for stick with mech? Price is pretty much the same.

Everything I read about the xt di2 was that the weight made it unappealing. Regular xt was a lot lighter. XTR would be the way to go.

Price of xt mechanical and xt di2 isn’t even close. If you compare sram cost to di2, maybe, depending on the trim level.

Everything I read about the xt di2 was that the weight made it unappealing. Regular xt was a lot lighter. XTR would be the way to go.

I have both xt and xtr rear di2 mechs and honestly I can’t tell a difference. I think the weight difference is only about 30g. The shifter pods should weigh next to nothing. Everything else should be the same, right?

I have both xt and xtr rear di2 mechs and honestly I can’t tell a difference. I think the weight difference is only about 30g. The shifter pods should weigh next to nothing. Everything else should be the same, right?
XT Di2 rear GS: 329grams: $249.99
XT mechanical GS: 272grams: $65.99

XTR Di2 rear GS: 298grams: $419.99
XTR mechanical GS: 221grams: $139.99

Sure, these prices look the same between mechanical and Di2

Prices/Weight as Per Jenson, which I know you can probably find cheaper

my eagle group is arriving today...trying to decide if it is worth switching to di2 1x11 with either xt or xtr. The youtube reviews knock shimano's 1x gear range. Im also running this on my bike that will be setup SS 75% of the time. Is di2 super easy to swap on and off where I would have to pull cables with eagle?

I would only run a 1x setup on a MTB not sure if it is worth the price. I dont need the gear range of eagle just prefer the shift quality.

Trek Factory racing team has perks!

my eagle group is arriving today...trying to decide if it is worth switching to di2 1x11 with either xt or xtr. The youtube reviews knock shimano's 1x gear range. Im also running this on my bike that will be setup SS 75% of the time. Is di2 super easy to swap on and off where I would have to pull cables with eagle?

I would only run a 1x setup on a MTB not sure if it is worth the price. I dont need the gear range of eagle just prefer the shift quality.

So, if going between SS and gears is happening, go with Shimano so you don't need to play with the rear wheel. Or, since you're a baller maybe you have an SS rear wheel and geared? In any event, running Eagle and SS would require a freehub body swap, no big deal.

These eTap prices need to come down! And come to MTB

-Travel bikes I put in my luggage like my full suspension 29er. Lack of cables would make things easier. No cutting zip ties, new zip ties, fitting everything in the boxes/etc. Even my Ritchey Break-Away would be easier sans shifter cables.
-I didn't even think about the benefit on my El Mariachi that I switch between geared/SS. Right now I keep a second Salsa Alternator bracket w/ the derailleur attached/cable/shifter and have a SS wheel and geared wheel. Swapping between both would be much easier wireless.

So, if going between SS and gears is happening, go with Shimano so you don't need to play with the rear wheel. Or, since you're a baller maybe you have an SS rear wheel and geared? In any event, running Eagle and SS would require a freehub body swap, no big deal.

good point didnt think about the freehub body swap.

I’m much to lazy to charge the battery on Di2. Even if it is only a few times per year.
I’d stick to mechanical.
And if you’re running singlespeed 75% of the time, it seems to make less sense to spend the money on electronic drivetrain. But that’s just my .02

Back
Top Bottom