• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters
I think by far the impact would be more profound if we lived in a more mountainous region.

My motives to start this thread were based on the pending release of this new ebike from SC.

Based on the feedback I saw here I’d offer that I bought just one. You can guess that they wanted me to buy more.

Or if we lived in an area where they could be legally ridden on trails. I mean, I know of a few places where I could get away with riding an e-bike, but I know they aren't technically allowed in any parks other than maybe some of the fire-cut trails down in south-Jersey (where DS motos are also legal).

There is no way that someone that is not a cyclist is going to spend $7k+ on any bike, e or otherwise.

100% true, but technology has a way of trickling down from high things to low end things. Wait ten years and see how many people are out riding e-bikes around. A couple more decades and we'll be on hover bikes.

The cpu in my phone is 100,000 times more powerful than the one that landed men on the moon, and I only use it to post pics of my cat and argue with people on the Internet.

Or if we lived in an area where they could be legally ridden on trails. I mean, I know of a few places where I could get away with riding an e-bike, but I know they aren't technically allowed in any parks other than maybe some of the fire-cut trails down in south-Jersey (where DS motos are also legal).

This is completely irrelevant in my opinion. It'll likely be legal at some point, and in the meantime there is no enforcement and no way to even prove someone is riding an e-bike. An e-bike with pedal assist turned off is just a regular bike that weighs a lot.

There is no way that someone that is not a cyclist is going to spend $7k+ on any bike, e or otherwise. I am a "cyclist" and I don't have $7k tied up between 3 bikes....

You’d be really surprised how many people who are not cyclists would have no problem spending their disposal income on something that they can use to keep up with all their buddies who have been riding for a good amount of time.

You’d be really surprised how many people who are not cyclists would have no problem spending their disposal income on something that they can use to keep up with all their buddies who have been riding for a good amount of time.

If someone isn’t interested in riding in the woods now, I don’t see how an e-bike would convince them to get interested in it.

Despite all of the arguments here, I also don’t see anyone who’s been an avid cyclist getting one either, unless they really had to for health reasons. I think a lot of folks (me included) like to argue just to be contrarians, but end of day aren’t gonna pull that trigger. If anything, I foresee the young and lazy being the real target audience here. Get your kids pedaling early so they keep the young part, but not the lazy part.

I don't see any park in NJ enforcing non use of an e-bike. As long as it gets people out there have at it I say. If a person is going to spend around 6k on a FS mtb they will just as easily spend the extra cash on an e-bike.

If someone isn’t interested in riding in the woods now, I don’t see how an e-bike would convince them to get interested in it.

Mountain Dew Red Bull commercials?

Despite all of the arguments here, I also don’t see anyone who’s been an avid cyclist getting one either, unless they really had to for health reasons.

I think my point (if I actually have a point which is also debatable) is that non-avid cyclists are the ones that are more likely to buy into this. Not now when they cost $7k+ but in 5-10 years when they can get e-bikes from Walmart. I know some avid cyclists that already have them and like them, but they also have several other analog bikes that they ride. Also, keep in mind that hard core cyclists are a very small percentage of the population.

However, I also think that when the tech gets better, more "real" cyclists will begin to buy in. If all the pedal assist stuff just added 3-5 pounds of weight, and the bike handled completely normally with pedal assist turned off, I could probably see myself buying one. I could do all the normal stuff I do now, but when I'm on a crazy steep climb or am super beat, I can just turn on pedal assist and get a little boost. It would make some of the exploring that I do much more fun and manageable.

I don't see any park in NJ enforcing non use of an e-bike. As long as it gets people out there have at it I say. If a person is going to spend around 6k on a FS mtb they will just as easily spend the extra cash on an e-bike.

There are an awful lot of good FS bikes out there that cost a lot less than $6k.

Mountain Dew Red Bull commercials?

I think my point (if I actually have a point which is also debatable) is that non-avid cyclists are the ones that are more likely to buy into this. Not now when they cost $7k+ but in 5-10 years when they can get e-bikes from Walmart. I know some avid cyclists that already have them and like them, but they also have several other analog bikes that they ride. Also, keep in mind that hard core cyclists are a very small percentage of the population.

However, I also think that when the tech gets better, more "real" cyclists will begin to buy in. If all the pedal assist stuff just added 3-5 pounds of weight, and the bike handled completely normally with pedal assist turned off, I could probably see myself buying one. I could do all the normal stuff I do now, but when I'm on a crazy steep climb or am super beat, I can just turn on pedal assist and get a little boost. It would make some of the exploring that I do much more fun and manageable.

You could be right. The price needs to come down a lot for this to be truly accessible to the masses. I remember the first time I saw a flat screen plasma TV at Best Buy. I don't think the screen was bigger than 32" and that TV cost $10,000. Now you can get far better TVs for a couple hundred bucks.

Keep in mind this is cheaper than some ebikes

You and I know how to use it too.

Which you STILL have limited legal trail access to ride in this nanny state.

Which I find draconian boarding of criminal if you ask me. Public lands should provide access to ALL user groups, not just the “sierra club” crew..... and I haven’t been on a dirt bike in almost 40 years!

As seen on the mtb trails of Wharton.
1581513735812.png

Is that an official sticker or something someone made? Kinda funny says no pedal assist. Wharton is probably a good example where you would have people going faster on an ebike than they normally could.

Not in the “sugar sand” dog days of summer...... 2.2 tired are holy hell there in the summer. Pedal assist would probably make it even worse.?

As seen on the mtb trails of Wharton.

Wharton and Belleplain State Forests follow the same regs as other state parks and forests.

Since its inception, Wharton's Batsto Area MTB Trails have not allowed motorized vehicles. There is mention of this on the MTB map kiosks.

There is a Wharton Forest Motorized Access Plan map, that shows the roads where motorized traffic is allowed.
https://www.njparksandforests.org/parks/maps/wsf_motorized_access_plan.pdf

I have heard third hand stories of the SPP warning e-riders for: exceeding the 20mph speed limit on the sand roads, and for riding on the MTB trail.

I'm not much for arts and crafts, so yes, that is an official approved sticker.

Back
Top Bottom