• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters
Santa Cruz is like the 3rd biggest bike company in the world, right? Them starting to pimp e-bikes is not a big shock, no pun intended. Gotta try to keep up with Specialized I guess.

cheater.jpg
Just saw this today for the first time.. pretty funny.

$7,399 for the lowest level build ...that's a lot of scratch!

i will be curious to hear how/if these things impact your analog bike sales @jdog

at this price point, it might not...if you have $7,399 to spend on a FS E-bike, you might be able to afford that upgraded FS analog bike too!

$7,399 for the lowest level build ...that's a lot of scratch!

i will be curious to hear how/if these things impact your analog bike sales @jdog

at this price point, it might not...if you have $7,399 to spend on a FS E-bike, you might be able to afford that upgraded FS analog bike too!

I think by far the impact would be more profound if we lived in a more mountainous region.

My motives to start this thread were based on the pending release of this new ebike from SC.

Based on the feedback I saw here I’d offer that I bought just one. You can guess that they wanted me to buy more.

You know if you can (now or in the future) be able to Factory Demo one and ride across the street at Wilder Ranch? Or, I guess I could just look at the SC web page.

You know if you can (now or in the future) be able to Factory Demo one and ride across the street at Wilder Ranch? Or, I guess I could just look at the SC web page.

I know they just did the media launch there a month ago. I’d be surprised if they don’t have a fleet of Hecklers for rent as well. I’d call ahead though no matter.

I know they just did the media launch there a month ago. I’d be surprised if they don’t have a fleet of Hecklers for rent as well. I’d call ahead though no matter.
I actually looked, they're not listed yet, but two of the photos on the Heckler page look like Enchanted Loop. I could be wrong. May be out there in the summer again.. Wood ride.

I came up with this use-case (ie, who i would market to)

Kids gain fitness quickly - they also gain skill. I'd bet they outpace the non-bike parents very quickly.
Hence kid does not want to ride with parent, parent gets nervous about losing kid.
Answer: eBike

This is the commercial they should have run, not a spouse that can't keep up with a pro rider.......

you are welcome. Have Y&R call me.

Better use-case:

People are fucking lazy. People like taking shortcuts. Buy an e-bike and get there faster with less effort. The end.

Speaking as a fucking lazy person, if e-bikes were available and cheaper when I got into mountain biking, I probably would have started with one and never looked back. I think the tech is almost there, and this is going to get a lot more people out in the woods, for better or for worse. Die hard mountain bikers in NJ are not the target audience for this product.

That is not a reason to buy a bike.
Someone walks in for a bike, can you upsell to an eBike?

"You strike me as a person that would enjoy a little boost in their stroke!
Step over here to check the lastest in pedal assist bikes."
--
alternately -

"get in the game" - join the cycling crowd now. of course you'd just be ostracized, but there
is the chance of that changing.

maybe the upgrade cycle for a new, "older" cyclist, could be eBike->analog bike
but i doubt it...
--

i've never done 'lift serviced" biking. which might be why i suck at going dh more than going up.

Better use-case:

People are fucking lazy. People like taking shortcuts. Buy an e-bike and get there faster with less effort. The end.

Speaking as a fucking lazy person, if e-bikes were available and cheaper when I got into mountain biking, I probably would have started with one and never looked back. I think the tech is almost there, and this is going to get a lot more people out in the woods, for better or for worse. Die hard mountain bikers in NJ are not the target audience for this product.

Sorry, but that's why able bodied people ride e-bikes. Lets be real, there is no scenario where an e-bike is going to make you faster or more fit. Lets just call a spade a spade here people. If you're lazy, just embrace your laziness. I'd have more respect for you in the same way that I have respect for a fat person who admits that they love to eat vs. saying they have some sort of glandular problem (yes, I know that 1% do).
I came up with this use-case (ie, who i would market to)

Kids gain fitness quickly - they also gain skill. I'd bet they outpace the non-bike parents very quickly.
Hence kid does not want to ride with parent, parent gets nervous about losing kid.
Answer: eBike

This is the commercial they should have run, not a spouse that can't keep up with a pro rider.......

you are welcome. Have Y&R call me.

My kids getting faster (they're already way more fit) is called mission accomplished. Nothing would make me happier or more proud than pedaling within an inch of my life while I try to keep up with my kids.

Someone walks in for a bike, can you upsell to an eBike?

Not at the current price of an e-bike, no.

Lets be real, there is no scenario where an e-bike is going to make you faster or more fit.

I'm out of shape. I'm not a cyclist. I want to be a cyclist. I can buy an analog bike or I can buy an e-bike. You're saying I'm not going to be faster on an e-bike than on an analog bike?

They...as in the serious ebike manufacturer...like pivot, specilized, now S/C....they should have a throttle assist option...god that would make them so much more fun at a place like fugawe or something super technical.

They...as in the serious ebike manufacturer...like pivot, specilized, now S/C....they should have a throttle assist option...god that would make them so much more fun at a place like fugawe or something super technical.

give the hackers a few more days.

Just ride a mototrials bike

Yes, I know all about trials bikes and e-dirt bikes....but unless you wanted to wreck a bunch of mtb trails with hand built rock work.... probably not the best idea to use anything with that much power....plus they are also big and heavy compared to an ebike. Trials bikes also require 1 key thing to make them work properly....a trials rider.....which I am not. I could think of a number of spot on the loop we rode sunday where the weight of an ebike would be detrimental, and since the power is only activated by pedaling....it would be hell to get it thru some areas. Having an additional hand throttle would be awesome. There were even a couple of hike a bike sections where it would really suck to have to push an ebike....would be awesome to be able to power walk it. That said, I still want to try one on this loop.

Not at the current price of an e-bike, no.

I'm out of shape. I'm not a cyclist. I want to be a cyclist. I can buy an analog bike or I can buy an e-bike. You're saying I'm not going to be faster on an e-bike than on an analog bike?

There is no way that someone that is not a cyclist is going to spend $7k+ on any bike, e or otherwise. I am a "cyclist" and I don't have $7k tied up between 3 bikes....

Back
Top Bottom