Don't Call It A Comeback...

DirtyJerzey

I've been away from MTB for a long while. Motorcycles, work, and family life got in the way. As a youth I raced BMX and dabbled in Freestyle, so I've always enjoyed cycling, it's just been missing for a while.

Well I recently pulled the trigger and picked up a Rush. So I took it so 6-mile on Saturday, and what a blast I had. My skills aren't what they used to be, but that didn't stop me from hitting all the obstacles. I only fell twice, although once was off the side of a bridge and into a sticker bush that was in a ravine, with the bike landing on top of me.

Props to the crew that maintain the trails, they are great. The best part is it's only a few miles from my house.

So if you find someone in a sticker bush with a Rush on top of him, help him out.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I am glad that you are diggin the trails.

We will be hosting some organized trail days in the fall. Try and make it out.

Peas

J_

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
as soon as i read your subject line i pictured L.L. in his kangol hat and red pants saying "LISTEN TO THE BASS GO BOOM, EXPLOSION!". than i laughed and thought about how rediculous that song is. but seriouslu, welcome to the board.

DirtyJerzey

I would like to get involved in the community side of it all. I assume if there is TM events or organized rides it would be posted here. I'll keep my eyes open for them. I would like to get involved as none of my friends, or family, has any interest in riding. My wife questioned my sanity when I told her about my falling. I think it's funny that I'm covered in bruises and scratches, she thinks it's foolish.

It's just like when I owned my last Ducati, if you have to ask why, you don't get it.

DirtyJerzey

Thank you, that is exactly the reference I was making.

Damage, Huh, Damage, Huh...

I could go on, but I'll spare anyone who takes the time to read this.

as soon as i read your subject line i pictured L.L. in his kangol hat and red pants saying "LISTEN TO THE BASS GO BOOM, EXPLOSION!". than i laughed and thought about how rediculous that song is. but seriouslu, welcome to the board.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I read the title and what came to me was .... "I been here for years"

welcome back to the fold my wife to kinda looks at me funny when she sees the fall marks but my way of thinking if there no blood then it was just a so-so ride..

supermike

I'm gonna take this itty bitty place by storm, and I'm just gettin' warm.

Congrats on the new bike. After I got the fit right on my Rush, I love it. I'm sure you will too.

DirtyJerzey

So far I love it. I can be hard on things so I worry that I may do some expensive damage. The main reason I went for the 4 over the 3 was the Lefty. It's just bad ass. However, I'm not an expert in suspension design by any means, but it seams to be overly complicated. That usually means problems, often expensive ones. I guess it's like anything else, if you take care of it, it will perform. Only time will tell.

I'm still getting things set for my physical geometry. First thing to go were the pedals, second the saddle. Next will be the grips and a slight bar modification. They seem to be a bit too wide for me. I would think they should be as wide as my shoulders. I guess it's the points of contact that we're most picky about.

DirtyJerzey

I park on the canal side. My last time out I made almost as far as far as Middlebush, I heard the traffic so I was close. I ran out of time and had to head back.

Are there more wooded trails with obstacles and such on the other side of Middlebush?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Are there more wooded trails with obstacles and such on the other side of Middlebush?

yes, there are more obstacles on the "canal side" than the 27 side and a good amount of trails, but there are not twisty and fun as the 27 side yet some areas will keep you on your toes. There was a new section cut in March that brings the 27 flavor to the canal side. Join one of the group rides and people will show you around. There are some fun log rides on the canal side.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i need a tour of the middlebush side :\

it is really pretty easy, cross middlebush and just after the top of the hill, the trail splits, the red trail to left (no bikes) and blue? to right. If you follow the red, you stay on it until you come out at the canal, no other trails right now (but soon). Follow the other fork through the water crossing and eventually you hit farm fields, follow the farm fields (trail goes through a small section of woods) and evetually you will come to the yellow trail when the farm field double track makes a hard right. If you take this trail, you will eventually hit the canal but this trail gets uber muddy. I suggest following the farm fields and you will come close to another road and just keep following the trail down alittle hill and through some woods and eventually you will see a small bridge and a trail that was cut in dec. follow that and then bear right when you see a long bridge to your left. Follow this and eventually you will hit the new section from March, which will bring you out at the canal again.

There's your tour.

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
ha. i just think i rode the 27 side way too many times, and thats what im looking for on the canal side :(

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
ha. i just think i rode the 27 side way too many times, and thats what im looking for on the canal side :(

The 27 side is excellent, but there isn't enough there to keep me busy for a ride and I don't like doing small laps. The red is fun (not that I ride it) and all the other stuff just gives a good mix. I think overall, if you ride the whole big loop most people do, you get a nice mix of a bunch of different type of riding, hence why 6 mile is killer.

The Kalmyk

When I go hiking with my dog I love the red trail....I think it's my favorite part of 6 Mile....Agreee with Kevin that the mix of the two sides makes 6 Mile "killer"

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions