Ditching Clipless For Flats?

I have tried flats this year and I do not like the fact that my feet is not connected with pedals on technical trails. I could ride certain places with them like Sprain but more technical trails I can't. Maybe I didn't try harder and ride longer with them.
It's a "feel" that you develop over time, when you realize your feet do much more than just 'stay attached to the pedals'.

Used to switch back and forth for certain races but was mostly clipped in . Went to flats full time couple years ago in the off season and just don't have any reason to go back . Trail riding was an adjustment but within a month I think I was climbing tech just as well as clipped in so I don't see any disadvantages and I just have more fun on flats so it's simple for me flats for life .

I was clipped in for years when I started riding. Fast forward to 2 years ago and I'm back to flats. Same reason as most, I don't want that extra effort to dismount in the event of a crash. With that said, there have been times when I've been tossed off the pedals when running over rock gardens. Kind of makes me think about going back to being clipped in.

Was a long time clip now a long time flats. Clip on the roadie, flats on the dirt. Zero issues on dirt and I like to ride the chunky stuff and never find the need to be clipped in.

It can't be stressed enough either that using sticky shoes (the soles mainly) are really the key for having maximum grip. Five Ten's, the latest Specialized 2FO's and i also hear Ride Concepts are all the best currently available. Anything less and you will be really unhappy.

This past summer I riding some Pearl Izumi flats because they were very breathable and had a slick Boa closure all on a flat pedal. Grip was ABISMAL! Had a pair of simple Bontragers before that and those were even worse. Finally found five ten's in my size (49) and never looked back. Also picked up some Spesh canvas 2FO's for summer and those are just as good as the stealth rubber but with a much better/ergo insole.

I have tried flats this year and I do not like the fact that my feet is not connected with pedals on technical trails. I could ride certain places with them like Sprain but more technical trails I can't. Maybe I didn't try harder and ride longer with them.
If we’re going to ride more DH together, you better start learning my friend.

I'm only riding MTB for a year now, started out straightaway on flats for the reasons people have already stated; easier to dab/bail, improvement of basic skills (hops/jumps). Unfortunately the latter hasn't really come to me yet (admittedly I don't practice....err...enough). I ride clipped on the road, and I am super comfortable doing so regardless of what is thrown at me. Eventually I am going to want to try clipped on the trail just to see whether or not I am good enough to, and then I can cheat with the other stuff. 😆

Y’all need to rethink what an spd shoe is:
1637795853210.png

Y’all need to rethink what an spd shoe is:
View attachment 171661
I have the Maltese falcon spd which are more or less the same. Nice grippy soles but also multi release clips, along with larger platform clipless on 2 bikes. Accidentally kick out of the clips pretty frequently, so getting stuck hasn’t been much of an issue. To be fair though, the most convenient places for me to ride wouldn’t qualify as technical.

After a nasty face plant 20 years ago, I ditched the clips on my DH and park bikes. This year I had two nasty OTBs on my trail bike. Now, I’m thinking it’s time to get rid of my SPDs and switch to flats all the time?

I ride with a few guys who absolutely kill it with flat pedals. I’m not sure why I’m so hesitant? Anyone else been a long-time clipless rider who decided to switch to flat pedals? What has been your experience?
Get a set of these and some Five 10 shoes and never look back.

All i run these pedals on my MTB's Save yourself some more face plants and future broken bones lol. Then again it all depends on where you ride. I can tell you how many times i went OTB at races and landed on my feet. Or clipped a tree and landed 30 feet from my bike minus still being clipped in and mangled. And dont believe the bs your foot will slip off the pedal. If you slip off these pedals you shouldn't be riding lol. They do make cheaper pedals that are just as good. The spikes in these pedals are like nails. I literally have to pull my shoes off the pedals.

I also switched off to these pedals for this years ultra endurance races. I used them the whole season. They are super light and grip just as good as the Five 10's. I liked them so good i bought another pair just to have before they stop making them :thumbsup:

Have a Happy Thanksgiving all!! 🦃🚴‍♀️🚴

No- it was a sneaky wet rock. Both times it was so sudden that I didn’t get my feet out quick enough. I’m getting old and I think my reflexes are fading? 😬

I almost always take the more technical line. My bike has a lot to do with it. It’s so capable that I can ride stuff that in the past I would only hit with a big bike. I guess it makes sense to go to flats since that’s what I use on the DH bike.
Stick with the flats (with the right pedals and shoes) and don't give in to the peer pressure. But the correct pedals and shoes make all the difference. The pedals must have pins like nails. Raceface Chester are great, cheap pedals that have awesome pins. The HT pedals i suggested in a previous post are pretty much the same and have easy replaceable pins.

Modern rubber on flat pedal shoes and aggressive pedal pins are so excellent these days, i'm not sure clips are really all that advantageous. clips seems like one of those trickle down items from road riding back in the day when MTB was nascent and didn't have the identity it has now. For racing, sure, any added edge counts but for trail riding with a well sorted suspension with loads of grip, i think the flexibility of riding flats outweighs any benefit to being clipped in.
:thumbsup: That sums it up exactly. Close the thread!

Back
Top Bottom