Ditching Clipless For Flats?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
After a nasty face plant 20 years ago, I ditched the clips on my DH and park bikes. This year I had two nasty OTBs on my trail bike. Now, I’m thinking it’s time to get rid of my SPDs and switch to flats all the time?

I ride with a few guys who absolutely kill it with flat pedals. I’m not sure why I’m so hesitant? Anyone else been a long-time clipless rider who decided to switch to flat pedals? What has been your experience?

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
100%
I switched completely to flats when I got the 5010 a few years ago and I refuse to go back to clipless on the mountain bikes. I think my tech skills have gotten way better and I'm way more willing to try stuff out because I know I can bail if I have to.

Robin

I started clipless when I first started riding, because that's what everyone told me to do - and switched to flats in 2017 when I got my BICP skills certification (you have to be able to do everything in flats). I'm all for flats - you really learn how to move the bike. I ride flats for DH and trail riding. Plus the shoes are much more comfortable to stand around/walk in.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Did the spds cause you to go OTB? If so, why?

Couple things, you can get spd shoes that are the same as flats (I have five ten hellcats and they are awesome). To me the ultimate is flat pedal type spd shoes with large platform spds. I have the saints.

It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to do one footers, no footers or need to bail when trying tricks = flats. If you ride trials a lot or want to play around in rocks more than riding = flats.

If you do not fall into these categories, stick with spds. There are so many advantages to them that far out weigh flats. Gotta consider that pretty much every dh racer and enduro racer uses spd (and no you are not Sam Hill). The majority of peoples issues with spds is that they aren’t confident in tech sections. But that has nothing to do with the pedals themselves.

Some of the kids in the NICA team tell me I can only do certain things because of spds. So I just show them unclipped….skills not band-aids kids.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I switched to flats for more confidence in bailing when I first started getting into more technical riding. I felt like it was a great decision at the time, and I stuck with it for about two years. I ended up going back to clipless when I got the fat bike (I had a nice pair of clipless winter shoes and figured the fatty would be my winter bike and I wouldn't ride tech on it 🤣). I find I'm a way better tech rider with clipless, because I can use them to move the rear of the bike around. I cheat with the pedals to get over fairly large logs that I could never figure out how to do with flats. I can't ever imagine trying flat pedals again, but I do know some people that love them.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Did the spds cause you to go OTB? If so, why?
No- it was a sneaky wet rock. Both times it was so sudden that I didn’t get my feet out quick enough. I’m getting old and I think my reflexes are fading? 😬

I almost always take the more technical line. My bike has a lot to do with it. It’s so capable that I can ride stuff that in the past I would only hit with a big bike. I guess it makes sense to go to flats since that’s what I use on the DH bike.

one piece crank

I grew up on BMX and had my share of shin strikes, to the point of dulled nerve endings. Funny thing, several decades later and I never slip a pedal, like ever. I have multiple bikes for all types of riding (although none of that skinny wheel stuff) and every single one has flats. I even have spare flat pedals waiting for a test. I ride a lot of the flat-preferred riding @stb222 mentions, but I'll also go on 30-mile rides and would never even consider anything but flats. Just do what-you-do...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Pretty sure this is a great argument for learning on flats too. The amount of people who can't bunny hop or jump properly on flats is astounding.
yes, Do agree with that. FWIW, most of these kids have no idea how to bunny hop. NICA doesn’t help with that even though it is basic skill (like we are supposed to ignore that it is used on the trails?) Which is why the team I run starts wheel lifting skills from day one and eventually we add proper bunny hoping.

My son rides flats for bmx and dirt jumping but runs clips on the mtb (by his choice).

sundaydoug

I ride with a few guys who absolutely kill it with flat pedals. I’m not sure why I’m so hesitant?
The learning curve can be steep, but completely worthwhile. You'll learn skills riding flats that will remain useful even if you end up going back to clips.

I'm convinced my purpose on this planet is to get more people riding flat pedals. Try it, you'll see the light.

JonF

Modern rubber on flat pedal shoes and aggressive pedal pins are so excellent these days, i'm not sure clips are really all that advantageous. clips seems like one of those trickle down items from road riding back in the day when MTB was nascent and didn't have the identity it has now. For racing, sure, any added edge counts but for trail riding with a well sorted suspension with loads of grip, i think the flexibility of riding flats outweighs any benefit to being clipped in.

JonF

On the other side, you could try the multi-release cleats if you ride shimano. They release pretty much every which way except for straight up.

roc

I have flats on an older bike that my son used to ride, I can't stand riding with flats. Every time I get whacked in the shin, and it really hurts. That being said, I've ridden with a lot of people on flats that crush, I'm just not one of them.

JDurk

I remind myself that I forgot how to ride flats every time I ride any of my bikes with SPDs while wearing Vans. Can't hop a curb at all as I'm hovering over the bike with just my hands on the bars.

Cassinonorth

Modern rubber on flat pedal shoes and aggressive pedal pins are so excellent these days, i'm not sure clips are really all that advantageous. clips seems like one of those trickle down items from road riding back in the day when MTB was nascent and didn't have the identity it has now. For racing, sure, any added edge counts but for trail riding with a well sorted suspension with loads of grip, i think the flexibility of riding flats outweighs any benefit to being clipped in.

This is where I fall.

I tried clips this summer (after being a roadie for 5 years so it was an easy transition). I was getting a little more benefit on punchy climbs but also tipping over on techy climbs a stupid amount. I prefer to be able to dab easier. I started on flats and got more than my share of pedals to the shin. I don't think I've gotten one in over a year...your pedaling technique gets better and you don't try to lift up after a while.

ebarker9

I don't see any reason not to at least try it. For sure you ride differently on flats and that will ultimately expand your skillset, or at least give you more options for how to ride things. I rode DH for a while on flats and still have a dirt jump bike that I mostly ride pump tracks with that has flats, but I mostly ride clipped in (DH and trail) these days because I like the consistency of the interface and having my feet in exactly the same place all the time. I've also always ridden with essentially the minimum tension on Saint pedals and have never had an issue unclipping in any kind of panic/bail situation.

Robson

I have tried flats this year and I do not like the fact that my feet is not connected with pedals on technical trails. I could ride certain places with them like Sprain but more technical trails I can't. Maybe I didn't try harder and ride longer with them.

Top Bottom