Cycling vs Running

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
I have a friend who runs every day. Not on trails either, on pavement.
She thinks I am nuts because I am not into running, I think she is equally nuts because she is not into cycling.

We both agree it is wonderful we are exercising.

How do they measure up against each other? Pros and Cons to each?

Clearly, biking is ten times more fun. However, if your looking to get in shape or drop a few pounds, running seems to be much more effective, plus it takes a lot less time!

Running is a convenient way to burn some calories since you can just throw on some running shoes and shorts and burn a lot of calories quickly. You will burn more calories in a 30 min. run then you will in a 30 min. ride.

The downside of running is its a load bearing exercise that puts greater stress on you're body(knees, ankles, tendons, back...). As you get older running can be more harmful then good because of this. Walking is better for you as you get older...imo.

Cycling is more therapeutic for the body. Its a form of exercise that even old people can do without hurting themselves. Look at Clapper.

I don't enjoy running... I did it because I had to as I played soccer and training for skiing. I found it boring...

Now when I "run" my back bothers me... could it be due to the fact that I'm old and out of shape? Perhaps. So I don't run...I skip instead :D

The joints and muscles hurt from running because of bad form. oldies who run have better bones. cycling or running needs to be eased into if youre just starting. I enjoy a good run once in a while to keep me in check but today im riding! :D

The fact that listening to music while riding actually takes away from the experience, but is necessary for running, says it all.

If you need music to take your mind off of (or get energized to do) an exercise, then it means that it isn't all that fun to begin with.

love both
to me - different 'highs' as well
latley have been doing about 2 hrs daily roadie
and 4 mile run after

i run in vibrams which to me makes it a very cool experience
the 'seeya' model offers tremendous ground feedback

Ever see a runner, running? Most miserable looking people I've ever seen :(. I'll stick with riding and being happy. :)

you've never had runners high brutha
besides - it doesnt have to be an either or type deal
to me - the more variety of physical stuff the better
i'm hoping to eventually add a little kayak action into the mix

Devils advocate here. How happy are you when you're grinding up some hill? Same face.

I run and ride, albeit I ride 10x more than I run but whatever. I like them both for different reasons and now that I'm using a forefoot strike vs. a heel strike my knees, hips and back are MUCH happier.

peas.

I run occasionally because it's quick & convenient, but lately my hip hurts afterward for weeks... I hope its not going to be a chronic problem...

You aren't going to get a balanced point of view asking this question on a mountain biking forum....
Even though I don't enjoy running that much, I respect it as a very pure form of sport. You don't need thousands of dollars and accessories to run. It is very accessible and the human body has evolved to run over many many years. The only reason many of us find running painful or difficult is our mostly sedentary jobs and lifestyle. I personally know of many older people running (in their 70's) than mountain biking.
I like mountain biking because it is highly interactive. You are constantly engaged mentally, avoiding or conquering obstacles. I was reading a recent study talking about how serious roadies tend to lose bone mass since their exercise is very intense yet low impact which is the opposite of what happens when you run.

running is boring! at least sidewalk/street...trail is much better.

on the other hand, a group-start race with 5k people in it is a blast! as are the extreme runs - warrior dash/tough mudder, which are more events than races.

running in the minimal soul sneakers like VFF or minimus is a great way to go - as the foot strike must be up by the ball of your foot, to lower the impact on knees. calves will burn! (don't recommend wearing them for extreme runs)

don't forget to swim, otherwise there are two runs!

http://www.greenbrookracing.com/KOHT.html

must agree, if you have 30 minutes, shoes on, go run, it is a workout.

This is a topic that is completely idiotic and comes up all the time.

Why don't we just ask something less opinionated like which religion is better or who's right, Democrats or Republicans.

Some people like running, some don't. Some people like biking, some don't. It's completely idiotic to think the person who wakes up every morning to go running for half an hour and enjoys it is an idiot but then goes out for a bike ride.

To each their own.

(Yes, I sometimes like running...)

-Steve

This is a topic that is completely idiotic and comes up all the time.

It is not idiotic. I asked what are the PROS and CONS, not if you like it or not.
example:
pro to running is lower start up cost (DUH!)
pro to cycling may be it is low impact so better for painful knees

Soooooo, excuse me for asking some other opinion, insights, knowledge from other people.
please carry on.
dont forget to smile and have a nice day :D

Let me completely rephrase what you asked to make my point slightly more clear.

I have a friend who likes gay sex. Not with members of the opposite sex, but the same.
She thinks I am nuts because I am not into banging chicks, I think she is equally nuts because she is not into guys.

We both agree it is wonderful we are getting laid.

How do they measure up against each other? Pros and Cons to each?

You can be into neither, both or one of the two. My suggestion, go running. If you hate it you can hop on your bike and be happy. If you like it you got a new hobby.

The joints and muscles hurt from running because of bad form.

not true. running is VERY hard on the body. and if there are ANY alignment issues with the hips, knees or ankles you can have MAJOR problems. then you have issues like tendenitus, shin splints, and (in teens) Osgood–Schlatters.

as you get older other issues. my wife (a life-long runner) just had micro-fractue surgery.

none of this is due to "bad form" - running is just REALLY hard on the body and reveals physical issues much more quickly then other forms of exercise.

I want to thank everyone who contributed something intelligent on this thread, as for Satanpez, you are totally out of line and have some major issues. Grow up.

Back
Top Bottom