Cushetunk Mt Preserve Conditions

joshmdean

Rode here for the first time this morning. Well did a lot of bike pushing and some riding. Once you get up and over the views are worth it.

Great conditions!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200906_085923.jpg
    MVIMG_20200906_085923.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hiked Cushetunk Saturday with the family and my son's GF. All clear. Straight up white to ridge trail. Then ridge trail to blue then yellow to parking lot.
Ground bees on Ridge trail about half way into it

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Hiked Cushetunk Saturday with the family and my son's GF. All clear. Straight up white to ridge trail. Then ridge trail to blue then yellow to parking lot.
Ground bees on Ridge trail about half way into it

Not on strava - didn't happen.

could you give me an estimate with a pin drop on the bees?

Robin

Started at Cush lot - packed. Saw lots of hikers and quite a few riders.

Hawk trail still closed - completely barricaded actually.

Large tree at towards the top of the climb near the split of the red trail.

Otherwise the usual "good to go" conditions.

Patrick

Staff member
Hawk trail still closed - completely barricaded actually.

the water is so low, people were walking past the fence towards the dam.
for some reason a sign that indicated not to pass there didn't work.:shrug:

Patrick

Staff member
By far the most wet conditions i've ever seen this long after a rain.
there were at least 4 soft spots where someone left a tire mark, and a couple footprints.
:)

Anywho - this is the most closed the eagle trail has ever been. Given I went in on Aug 1st, and the path was trampled with pandemic hikers, I guess they were compelled to make it more obvious. Hopefully sign holds up under the surge of right wing hikers.

1609977954845.png

Patrick

Staff member
Well, I waited 4 hours after the rain stopped and that was more than enough to get a ride in from the Cush lot,
over the saddle and onto RV Red, and return via the ridge. There was water on the white climb where the waterbar has rotted out.

While in RV, I cleared out the run-up (we re-routed around this) to this monster. Have at it.

1617360758962.png

it think i'm going to...

1617360868883.png

damn, fork bottomed......

1617361000433.png

TBC......

Patrick

Staff member
This spot is actually "bad" - everything is dry, and water is pooling.
Will get there this week to investigate.

1617552611940.png

Patrick

Staff member
Cleaned up Cush today. The rocks were a bit sweaty, but no mud as usual.

It is growing in quite a bit.

Eagle trail is open from the Cush lot. Not sure about the res side. Will try to get there tomorrow morning.

1TrackMind

Rode there this morning, amazed at how well here and the sourlands held up after Ida. thanks @Patrick for the trail maintenance especially clearing the trees. Looks like the car camper is still there, which is surprising, can’t believe the rangers haven’t ousted him/her yet.

Robin

Cleaned up Cush today. The rocks were a bit sweaty, but no mud as usual.

It is growing in quite a bit.

Eagle trail is open from the Cush lot. Not sure about the res side. Will try to get there tomorrow morning.
Dumb question...is the Eagle Trail at the bottom where fenced off area is...when I come over ridge from Cush on my right? The wood fence is still there....so perhaps I'm confused.

Patrick

Staff member
Dumb question...is the Eagle Trail at the bottom where fenced off area is...when I come over ridge from Cush on my right? The wood fence is still there....so perhaps I'm confused.
That is the eagle trail. It is an extension of the red trail in rv

There is also eagle ridge from the saddle to the gate for the dam, and I think they called it eagle climb? That goes up from the cush lot. It was closed and I think someone pulled down the tape

Robin

started at Cush lot this morning and rode out/down Puke Hill and back on the campground road. The trails were the most wet/moist I've seen. Not terrible, but definitely soft with some greasy sections. Overall not bad...some ice spots on the ridge and along campground road. Quite a few hikers and the parking lot was full with some parking across RR tracks.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions