Cross Tires

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did a couple Wed Worlds on 40c Happy Mediums and they were rad. I'd think seriously about racing them at a really rough non-UCI course over my 33c tubulars.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
700 x 35 on Stans Grail hoops, measuring out a real-life 34mm. Plenty OK for that UCI race you've always wanted to do :)

I have some FMBs that stretched to 34.5mm and was sweating before the UCI check last year only to watch the guy in front of me whose tires were waaay wider get past the tire gestapo. The USAC offical had to smash the tire checker on and had trouble pulling it off. I think there were some knowing glances passed between the involved parties. If it had been a front row competitor I think the official might have made a fuss but nobody GAF what happens in THE SCRUB ZONE!

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did a couple Wed Worlds on 40c Happy Mediums and they were rad. I'd think seriously about racing them at a really rough non-UCI course over my 33c tubulars.
Supercross comes to mind. Or just put on a Lauf fork.

choop

If you want to go cross +, check out the Ritchey Megabites. They are 38 wide, and seem to measure pretty true to that. I have a few rides through Allaire on them and I am pretty impresssed so far. I have them set up tubeless and had them at 33 psi, and I can squeeze them a bit lower, especially if there aren't any rooty areas.

Jeffreywoliver

Thanks for all the responses. Should have mentioned that I'm on clinchers. I'm not really a gear guy - I just need new tires - so your responses helped narrow down my search. It seems that the PDX, MDX and Kendas garnered the most feedback.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I also have a pair if interested. Used like more than 2 times because PDX is the only tire you need. (If you're not running tubular, tubeless, or multiple sets of tyres in general).

Jeffreywoliver

A year later...

Bought the PDX and find that they don't give me enough traction in corners (grass, loose, hard soil conditions). As a roadie, my tech skills probably have a lot to do with this. Was considering ordering the MXP (corrected) or maybe the Kendra Slant Six pro to help in these conditions. I think the PDX will be good in mud.

Any thoughts? Different recommendations in 2017? JO

Last edited:

Mountain Bike Mike

Tubed? If so, I've been running the Conti Cyclo X kings and running the front tire backwards / tread pattern facing the opposite direction.

I have yet to wash out in a corner or loose grip. AND so far this season, I have been really testing how much they can handle - so far, exceeded my expectations. They have a very aggro shoulder knobs that bite well yet don't mess with speed on the flats..

I run that at 35lbs and I weigh 140-145 and the bike is roughly 25lbs.

I ran fangos when I had tubulars and I found them to be a faster tire yet lacked the grip of the cycloXkings

qclabrat

Kenda Kommando doesn't look bad as an inexpensive tubeless option with some knobs. Plus you can run 'em without underwear.
my left hip didn't like the Kommandos. Put them on my graveler for 6mr a few weeks ago and on the first turn I pushed, I bit it hard and road with less mojo afterwards. It's a sticky tire but the side knobs weren't inspiring for someone like me who has virtually no cornering experience.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
A year later...

Bought the PDX and find that they don't give me enough traction in corners (grass, loose, hard soil conditions). As a roadie, my tech skills probably have a lot to do with this. Was considering ordering the MDX or maybe the Kendra Slant Six pro to help in these conditions. I think the PDX will be good in mud.

Any thoughts? Different recommendations in 2017? JO
Jeff, I've never felt to glued to the ground as I have with 33mm PDX tubeless. In grass at even 29 PSI it feels like Velcro to me. I weigh in around 150.

Your next options are:

1. Go bigger.
2. Come to a local CX practice and accept tips from your local Faux Pros
3. Reg for one of the numerous CX camps in the region

GOOD LUCK WITH CORNERING
I've done 101 of these things and am finally sort or starting to figure it out.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have both the tubeless PDX and the tubular PDX. No issues.
What psi's are you running/your weight?

Before the 35+ race on Sunday at Whirlybird, I looked around at the tire choices of the fast dudes around me. Mostly PDX or MXP, by a landslide.

Jeffreywoliver

Jeff, I've never felt to glued to the ground as I have with 33mm PDX tubeless. In grass at even 29 PSI it feels like Velcro to me. I weigh in around 150.

Your next options are:

1. Go bigger.
2. Come to a local CX practice and accept tips from your local Faux Pros
3. Reg for one of the numerous CX camps in the region

GOOD LUCK WITH CORNERING
I've done 101 of these things and am finally sort or starting to figure it out.
Yeah, haven't gotten to CX Practice yet this year, but plan to. JO

Jeffreywoliver

I think that's an Acura!

I was running PDX's tubeless training over the summer. Just lower your pressure. Grip for dayzzz.

The other option is to go to a file tread with good side knobs as long as it's dry and not loose dirt. Fast when you want it and knobs when you're turning. I'm running Kenda Happy Mediums currently and am enjoying them.
Touché

Top Bottom