Compact VS Triple VS Double

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Three rides on compact, and the 16 tooth difference in chain ring is messing up my diesel brain. Any tips on when to shift before a hill? Do I shift in advance before I begin to cog down or shift last minute and pop up the two cogs? It seems like alot to think about this week:popcorn:.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Three rides on compact, and the 16 tooth difference in chain ring is messing up my diesel brain. Any tips on when to shift before a hill? Do I shift in advance before I begin to cog down or shift last minute and pop up the two cogs? It seems like alot to think about this week:popcorn:.

Stay in the big ring as long as you can. When you make the jump down you should be dropping a few higher gears on the cass at the same time.

Try it.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Hm. Mine is only a 14t drop so it feels exactly the same as standard. I also run a 11-23t cassette so my lowest gear is the same ratio. So I guess I'm no help:popcorn:

-Jim.

ellbiddy

So to bring this back....I picked up a compact 50/34, and have ridden (futile attempts) with a 53/39 and an 11-21 In the rear :)drooling:) which was fine on the flats, but I did note that I was typically in the middle range (~14/15?) 27*53/14 ~ 102.2 gi vs a compact 50 at say 12T in the rear which gives me 27*50/13 ~ 103.8 gi so my riding in the flats won't change so long as I go with a 12-something cassette, longer hills were an almost always painful task in 39/21 ~ 50.1 gi so (and here comes what I was debating) if I stick with a 36T on the inside to preserve shifting goodness ...assuming this is needed... with an 11-23 I get ~42.3 gi which is akin to a 39/25 combo...which should be okay. If I run a 34T inner chainring that drops to around 36.7 which akin to a littler lower than running 39/28 which seems like a serious climbing gear, but with the same spread in the back. That makes me a little nervous since I might end up having to flip flop between big rings too much :/

So then the big finale question is whether I should get a 36T chainring and two cassettes one for flatter rides and one for steeper rides or should I leave the 34 on and just get 1 cassette that'll cover most of my bases. I like the ease of the latter, but the shifting issues I've been reading about seem annoying. Realistically though a 36T ring and an 11-23 should be good for most everything I ride regularly though, just without a few of those extra lower gears.....maybe my fitness will make up for them eventually :p

These may all be just personal problems since no one can really gauge what's good for you without being you, but I feel as if I ironed out some of the confusion by just writing it out.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So then the big finale question is whether I should get a 36T chainring and two cassettes one for flatter rides and one for steeper rides or should I leave the 34 on and just get 1 cassette that'll cover most of my bases. I like the ease of the latter, but the shifting issues I've been reading about seem annoying. Realistically though a 36T ring and an 11-23 should be good for most everything I ride regularly though, just without a few of those extra lower gears.....maybe my fitness will make up for them eventually :p

Why would you want to bother with two cassettes? I would leave the 34 on and get an 11-23 or 25. As you chain wears, you may run into problems with the different cassettes if you use on more than the other. On the flats, you may be on the higher end of your cassette, but who cares, it will make you feel tough. The 50T and the high end of your cassette will still staisfy you mashing need at higher speeds and the 23/25 and 34 will let you spin like crazy up the steepest stuff.

ellbiddy

Why would you want to bother with two cassettes? I would leave the 34 on and get an 11-23 or 25. As you chain wears, you may run into problems with the different cassettes if you use on more than the other. On the flats, you may be on the higher end of your cassette, but who cares, it will make you feel tough. The 50T and the high end of your cassette will still staisfy you mashing need at higher speeds and the 23/25 and 34 will let you spin like crazy up the steepest stuff.

Any qualms about the jump from 34 to 50 over 36 to 50? People whine about it a lot online :p. This is all just premptive talk. Once I get some of the core stuff together this whole thing is going back to halters to get built up so I can pick their brain too ;p

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Any qualms about the jump from 34 to 50 over 36 to 50? People whine about it a lot online :p. This is all just premptive talk. Once I get some of the core stuff together this whole thing is going back to halters to get built up so I can pick their brain too ;p

a ton of people are riding that combo, so how bad can it be? You have to make sure you have the right derail, the newer grouppos can handle both 50/34 and 53/39, but 08' and 09' grouppos have different front derails.

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
At first I noticed the jump felt big, but mostly b/c I was using a new shifting system and was unable to react quickly the first few rides. I also ride very hilly terrain, where I shift in the front a lot. When I ride rolling terrain I do not even notice the big jump. I really like the compact. I have been using a 11/28 which seems to cover everything I encounter.

kchu1

Just out of curiosity, does anyone race criteriums or road races with a compact crankset?
I'ld say its between 1/4 & 1/3 of the racers. Less for tour de parking lot and more for the up/down crits.
~3/8 for rl hilly road races/long circuits.

kchu1

Anyone know of a good source for 10sp larger compact rings?

My new bike has a 46t big ring and I think it's a little too small. Debating buying a new cassette with a 11-XX compared to my 12-25 or bigger ring in the front.

Anyone think I'll have shifting issues with a 36/50? I like the 36 but would consider a 38. I also have a triple front shifter and triple front derailleur with my compact crank, however it shifts great at the moment eith the 36/48.

-Steve
Do you want mine?
Have several new or clean fsa 52s in the chainring bin.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you want mine?
Have several new or clean fsa 52s in the chainring bin.

Thanks, but I got a 50T brand new for pretty cheap on Ebay.

*Really* made a difference in the bike and I can't tell the difference in shifting between that and the 36/46 that was on there.

I don't have the legs to max out the gears any more than what I have no...hopefully next year.

I may end up bugging you if I do get stronger. :)

-Steve

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Actually, I should mention:

I never increased my chain length when going from a 46 tooth to 50 tooth. While the bike road/shifted nice I ended up blowing up my rear derailleur. I was in a middle gear on the cassette, 50T up front and BAM the derailleur exploded and got caught up in my wheel bending a few spokes.

Lesson learned.

-Steve in NJ

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Actually, I should mention:

I never increased my chain length when going from a 46 tooth to 50 tooth. While the bike road/shifted nice I ended up blowing up my rear derailleur. I was in a middle gear on the cassette, 50T up front and BAM the derailleur exploded and got caught up in my wheel bending a few spokes.

Lesson learned.

-Steve in NJ

ouch. it sucks learning lessons this way.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The death of the triple:

This bike kills off the triple forever in my book.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php...?pid=5959128&id=74778410308&fbid=424378915308

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=5956299&id=74778410308

The gearing is 34/48 x 11/36

I ran Force shifters w/ XX 11/36 cass and rear der. The shifting is flawless btw.

BB 30 cranks, Bamboo Sykes fenders, Old man mt racks etc..

I know this customer will love this bike on his cross country ride.

Although they don't show well in the pics, the decals are bead blasted into the frame.

Last edited:

THATmanMANNY

That build is classy and a true beauty. The fenders are gorgeous. Free massages for every se7en customer. Is that the trick?

Top Bottom