Cockpit geometry?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think Santa man is saying to measure it the same measurements as the pivot, bar drop/height blah blah

If the Pivot is comfy, then mathematically it should be the same

Exactly. But then again, the steep seat tube with no-setback seatposts etc is supposed to have you kind of forward and yadda yadda, I don't know what it all means to classic bike fitment anymore.

But yeah, if it works on the Pivot, carry it over exactly to the other bike and work from there. There's some many differences that you can't just go by spacer distance. Fork Axle-To-Crown, suspension sag, head-tube length, fork angle, etc etc.

Actually, in trying to translate what Dave was saying, I'm pretty sure he said:

"I had a 100mm fork, I put on a 120mm fork. I found that, surprisingly on this fork that's 20mm longer and will put the front end higher, I had to use less spacers to get my handlebar in the same height as before. "

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Changing a spacer is exactly the same as swapping to a riser. Your body will be in the same spot and have the same effect on handling.
Really? Thinking technically with a riser bar hand position goes straight up. With moving a spacer under bars go up and back.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
burlyb28-344t.jpg

Nice sweep too

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
If i did a quick calculation - a 20mm spacer with a 67deg headtube angle will move the bars towards the seat 7.8mm.

sin(90)=1
x=20 x sin(23) = 7.8
the rise is 18

1571655673311.png

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
But your body position ends up in the same spot, which is what effects the handling. I have an XY tool at the shop if you want to see how exactly the same it is.
Doesn’t the stem technically move rearwards slightly as it climbs of the steer tube? Not a huge measurement but any small adjustments in the area are noticeable.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Doesn’t the stem technically move rearwards slightly as it climbs of the steer tube? Not a huge measurement but any small adjustments in the area are noticeable.

You'd have to raise it a lot for that to come out in a measurement. But yes, if you had a foot of steerer it would. Seriously, we can do this all with a tool and you'll know exactly what you need to do.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Changing a spacer is exactly the same as swapping to a riser. Your body will be in the same spot and have the same effect on handling.
IDK, I am not going to try and math it out like @Patrick but it always felt better on the mtb the closer you can get to being slammed with the stem and run a riser bar. Especially for things like cornering. Mind you we are ignoring sweep and rise that riser bars typically have compared to the average flat bar.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So i'm rethinking "actual" vs "effective" -
reducing strain on your lower back (or reducing weight on the bars) means being more upright -
assuming your bars are below the pivot point of your body (there is not 1 pivot point)
moving straight up would decrease reach and bend angle, if it is above, it actually increases reach, but offset by reduction in angle. interesting.
it also messes with effective stem length (if that is a thing? virtual center of bars to center of steerer?)

so much for academic look - it probably isn't worth a dime until you try it out, and see what works. like those compliant bars that give a little
in the vertical.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So i'm rethinking "actual" vs "effective" -
reducing strain on your lower back (or reducing weight on the bars) means being more upright -
assuming your bars are below the pivot point of your body (there is not 1 pivot point)
moving straight up would decrease reach and bend angle, if it is above, it actually increases reach, but offset by reduction in angle. interesting.
it also messes with effective stem length (if that is a thing? virtual center of bars to center of steerer?)

so much for academic look - it probably isn't worth a dime until you try it out, and see what works. like those compliant bars that give a little
in the vertical.
Briefly reviews Pat's EVO setup
img_7085-jpg.55205

Top Bottom