Cockpit geometry?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I’m looking to try something new. I’ve always used flat bend bars but lately I seem to ride with my stem hammered and I feel I climb well but ride with too much weight on my upper buddy, this a stiff neck/tired upper body on longer rides/races.

I’ll start with a change I made. I installed an SC34 120 travel fork. I ended up having to move one 20mm spacer above the stem to drop it and it really made the handling come alive. Having it under the stem like with my previous sc32 100mm travel fork made it feel very awkward while out of saddle climbing. I’m thinking a riser bar may be my answer. It shouldn’t change the handling like moving a spacer does as I can position the bars where I want them only higher. The question is how much rise do I try? 20mm, 30, 40?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why would a riser bar be different than a spacer? Srs question.

And what angle is your stem?

RobW

Just thinking realistically here as you mention “longer rides or races”. I would think that body conditioning plays a large role in the feeling of being beat up over cockpit geo. Shorter rides aren’t much issue I’m guessing..

If you bring up position of bars, something else will pay the toll instead since long rides and races is the factor of discomfort.
also, the added 20mm in travel changes the rake so obviously handling will be a little more wonky at first...

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Just thinking realistically here as you mention “longer rides or races”. I would think that body conditioning plays a large role in the feeling of being beat up over cockpit geo. Shorter rides aren’t much issue I’m guessing..

If you bring up position of bars, something else will pay the toll instead since long rides and races is the factor of discomfort.
also, the added 20mm in travel changes the rake so obviously handling will be a little more wonky at first...
Hence why I moved a spacer from bottom to top. You shouldn’t have the weight of your upper body on the bars. I’m fine on my pivot but feel too front heavy on vassago. I want to compromise a bit and bring the bars up. I sort of want that effortless standing position on my ss. That’s how the top guys ride. I feel like I am too hunched over.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Cape epic is a bunch of 4 hour races. Pretty sure he won last year.
Probably a different bike too. But, @Pearl is just breaking my balls. He clearly didn’t read my other post where I said my Pivot cockpit is fine. I run flat bars on that bike. The riser bars is aimed at this particular bike.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Probably a different bike too. But, @Pearl is just breaking my balls. He clearly didn’t read my other post where I said my Pivot cockpit is fine. I run flat bars on that bike. The riser bars is aimed at this particular bike.

Word. I'm just staying, nino isn't a one trick pony. That dude has been winning races since WAY before the current xc format got popular. Anyways...

My neck hurts after longer rides too. I have a bunch of stems and have steerer tube length to experiment with. What you said about using a spacer moving the bars back makes sense. I never thought of that.
Riser bars just never felt right to me. I always feel too upright.
Maybe a 0 degree stem?

Maybe yoga to work on that flexibility? That's another off season task on my to-do list.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Go to a bike shop, have them fit you on that bike the same as the Pivot.

I don't know. I feel like a fit feels fine on the trainer for 25 minutes while you're being fit. But after 2 hours things are different

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Word. I'm just staying, nino isn't a one trick pony. That dude has been winning races since WAY before the current xc format got popular. Anyways...

My neck hurts after longer rides too. I have a bunch of stems and have steerer tube length to experiment with. What you said about using a spacer moving the bars back makes sense. I never thought of that.
Riser bars just never felt right to me. I always feel too upright.
Maybe a 0 degree stem?

Maybe yoga to work on that flexibility? That's another off season task on my to-do list.
I do yoga twice a week. This is more specific to getting in a position more comfortable for out of saddle riding.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I don't know. I feel like a fit feels fine on the trainer for 25 minutes while you're being fit. But after 2 hours things are different
I think Santa man is saying to measure it the same measurements as the pivot, bar drop/height blah blah

If the Pivot is comfy, then mathematically it should be the same

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think Santa man is saying to measure it the same measurements as the pivot, bar drop/height blah blah

If the Pivot is comfy, then mathematically it should be the same

I see. Makes more sense. But if the bikes completely different geometry And different travel forks, then it's tough.

Top Bottom