clipless vs flat pedal - how do you ride

solvetek

I have tried clipless but I can not get the hang of it on very technical trails, I am ok with them on easy trails. I am interested to find out if other people use clipless pedals on very technical trails?

Curious as to what pedals you were running ? I run both flats and clipless and like them both .. If you get used to clipping out and not thinking about it so much then it should help .. Being that your new as your previous post , i would say you have lots to learn about biking , body english, and proper foot placement that all comes within time .

Keep riding with them and push yourself more and more :)

Clipless 100%.

Took some getting used to early, but now I actually feel more confident clipped than unclipped (except perhaps on crazy DH/FR stuff)

I run shimano xt

You can also loosen them to make unclipping easier. If you're serious about riding you need the clip in pedals

practice.

Find a nice flat easy trail and clip in clip out clip in clip out clip in clip out over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

till you want to puke.

Your muscles will learn to do it automatically eventually. Even on flats you will try to clip in and out :D

I use Crank Bros Mallet 2. It has a bigger platform then Crank Bros Candy/Egg beaters. On technical trails I can ride with flat shoes, on street/easy trails I clip in.

and wear spandex

I have learned a lot about bikes and clothing this week. I think my fashion choices dictate I should give up riding and take up full time drinking.

Crap I already do that. OK! twist my arm - black tar heroin it is.

Get the multi release shimano cleats, I love them since I seek out the technical trails more often than not

Personally I prefer platforms.. I'm not a MTB racer by any means, so I'm not really interested in the whole efficientcy thing in regarding racing... I ride technical trails and never once have I thought "man, if only I was more attached to my bike"... it's been more the exact opposite.
A wise goat herder once told me "it's usually the ones behind you touting the benefits of clipless pedals"
I can ride the living heck out of some technical trails and have 0 problems with my big fat sloppy platform pedals.... I've never fallen over into a pile of jagged rocks or Barberry bush because I couldn't bail when shit got real...
I ride clipless on my road bike which is awesome and super efficient.
I think it's all a personal preference as to what you choose.. I call BS on anyone that says it makes you a better rider.. maybe for racing or road riding, but as far as technical riding, which you are inquiring about, I think it's ultimately up to you to choose whats comfortable for you to be able tackle the technical.
I'll stick with my flats and wait for you at the intersection.

Clipped, unclipped is not so important as good winter shoes....

Sidebar: amazes me how some can get so full of posturing piss and vinegar over something as silly as a pedal choice. Bottom line, IMHO,do what makes you feel most comfortable on the bike. And lighten up, Francis.

Clipped, unclipped is not so important as good winter shoes....

Sidebar: amazes me how some can get so full of posturing piss and vinegar over something as silly as a pedal choice. Bottom line, IMHO,do what makes you feel most comfortable on the bike. And lighten up, Francis.

^this!

Back
Top Bottom