Clipless pedals yo!

JohneeOxford

Shop: Marty's, H-Town
Shop Keep
Ok, I have been riding platforms since the first time I ever hopped on a bike, so its all I ever have known. Every time I ride with someone new they promote clipless like they are get paid to do so...
I've been thinking about gettin myself a fancy pair of new-fangled clipless jobs for the Palooza, but I have reservations because I've seen people ride up to a technical part of a trail and fall over like a fainting goat!... me, I just fly over that stuff and keep going....
Is this like little shot glasses of the Kool-aid? .. I have a loaned pair of adjustable Ritchey pedals that I would like to try, but with money being tight, I cant justify the purchase of a pair of shoes to "try" these out.
Anyone out there ride platforms, try clipless, then find out it wasnt for them?
I've been in situations where I would rather not be locked onto a bike and just run away from disaster, instead of what I've seen other people do and follow their ride into a world of hurt because they couldnt get the hell off!
Whats a good COMPLETELY adjustable pedal thats inexpensive, that one of you might be interested in buying off me if I don't like?
And I'm sure shoes most definitely come into play here, so I'm looking for a sure-fire combo that might benefit me.
I like technical terrain, if I can ride over it, I will try my best.
Thanks in advance for any info that I can use.

Ok, I have been riding platforms since the first time I ever hopped on a bike, so its all I ever have known. Every time I ride with someone new they promote clipless like they are get paid to do so...
I've been thinking about gettin myself a fancy pair of new-fangled clipless jobs for the Palooza, but I have reservations because I've seen people ride up to a technical part of a trail and fall over like a fainting goat!... me, I just fly over that stuff and keep going....
Is this like little shot glasses of the Kool-aid? .. I have a loaned pair of adjustable Ritchey pedals that I would like to try, but with money being tight, I cant justify the purchase of a pair of shoes to "try" these out.
Anyone out there ride platforms, try clipless, then find out it wasnt for them?
I've been in situations where I would rather not be locked onto a bike and just run away from disaster, instead of what I've seen other people do and follow their ride into a world of hurt because they couldnt get the hell off!
Whats a good COMPLETELY adjustable pedal thats inexpensive, that one of you might be interested in buying off me if I don't like?
And I'm sure shoes most definitely come into play here, so I'm looking for a sure-fire combo that might benefit me.
I like technical terrain, if I can ride over it, I will try my best.
Thanks in advance for any info that I can use.

Stick with the spd's. I have an extra pair of shoes laying around with only a couple of rides on them, can't remember the size off hand but I 'll look that up. Might even have an extra set of pedals laying around.

I'll post the video along side of your Lumpy-Bumpy challenge.

i'm a platform pedal user right now, but used clipless for many, many years. i'll tell ya, use clipless if you can, unless your riding style warrants otherwise.

you ask "why do as i say, but not as i do"? here's why.

if you are on a singlespeed bike the clipless will help. a lot. you'll get much more power, especially when you are in the stiffer gearings. i had a singlespeed a couple years ago, and i couldn't imagine riding my 32:16 (26" wheels) combo without being able to pull in circles.

as far techy terrain goes - you just have to commit. ride faster, pedal more. clipless don't prevent you from getting through techy terrain at all. you just really have to commit to it, which you should be doing anyway.

so why am i on platforms? because i'm slow as snot... i'm probably one of the slowest guys on the board, and i don't give a rats ass about going fast anymore uphill. i find platforms a lot more fun right now, especially when going down. to me i like carving a turn at high speed and throwing that foot out moto-style, and also being able to bail or dab quicker.

my technical riding hasn't gotten any better with platforms honestly - i'm just committing more with them, so that's why i'm on them. total personal preference.

but if you are racing, especially on a singlespeed - i see no reason to not be on clipless unless you are having a lot less fun on them.

I love riding clipless and would not go back to platform, BUT I have ridden with some really awesome riders that ride on platforms...they actually do better with platforms. I say it's up to you to try them and see if you like them, but don't give up if you don't like them on your first ride...try them a few times.

If you want to buy a pair with the intention of selling them, buy Time pedals and I will buy them off of you :) They are very easy to get in and out of, and they have a good degree of float. I used SPD for a while, but unless they were tight, my feet popped out at the wrong times. Then when they were tight, I couldn't get my feet out when I needed to :(

People who I have ridden with tell me that "your feet will always be where you need them to be" I cant remember a time when I ever said " F 'in pedals!" my feets have been exactly where I put them, and if they weren't, that was the least of my worries... I really want to try and see how this all works... maybe its even better than I hear... more please. :hmmm:

I was in your situation until last year. I bought a toe-clip pedal first to see how that worked. I adjusted the strap so I could slip out with ease. I could feel the difference on tough climbs.

So I went ahead and got myself a crank bros clipless. Mostly because they're inexpensive. It was bliss from the moment I got clicked in. So I took it for a ride in the woods. Took a nasty fall. The bike and I rolled twice over before I could get unattached. I haven't ridden since.

Moral: Practice clicking in and out before you ride into the woods.

oh yeah... i was using Power Grip straps for the good part of 17 years, so i kinda know the benefit of the upstroke... they also gave me the opportunity to flip them over and just use the platforms.. now I'm platform only.

I switched to clipless last year, bought M520 pedals and Bontrager Race mountain shoes. After the first few "learning curve" clipless rides there is no way I'm going back to platforms. When I got my GF Cobia it came with platforms and needless to say they were given away to a friend. I am one of those people that act like they get paid to promote clipless pedals because they made that much of a difference at least where and how I ride. South Jersey (Wharton SF) and as fast as possible.

if you were using the straps, then you know what its about. other than the upstroke/circular stroke clipless gives you, and maybe foot position for optimal pedal stroke set up, i don't see any other reason for them. unless you want to have a harder time walking across streams or rock gardens when/if you do fall, which is part of the equation.

AAARGGHHH! I guess I'm just gonna have to break down and get some shoes and check it out for myself to see how I like it (which is probably the way everyone else on clipless found out :D)
thanks for the input.

Come on Oxford! How many fainted goats have you really witness. It's all in your head. Become one with the bike grasshopper. Why do I feel that those Ritcheys came from one very large Hammond who got them from one Bfat who stole them from a pedal? Use them damn it...

Come on Oxford! How many fainted goats have you really witness. It's all in your head. Become one with the bike grasshopper. Why do I feel that those Ritcheys came from one very large Hammond who got them from one Bfat who stole them from a pedal? Use them damn it...

BWAAA HA! nailed it! actually I've seen fainting goats more times than I've cared to have seen... always horrifying. Yes those pedals are the same! I was gonna buy a sweet Shimano combo, but ran out of the cash.. Reg told me to check them out, and maybe I get a coupla jobs under my belt this week/weekend Ill be able to spring for a nice new set, and move forward, into the future. thank you sir through some channels! always appreciated! :D

>>Anyone out there ride platforms, try clipless, then find out it wasnt for them?<<

Yes, that would be me. I rode with foot retention (both clips and straps and clipless) for many years but have been riding bmx flats for about ten years now. I'd never go back to retention. For whatever reason I don't get more power or efficiency, at least not enough to notice, clipped in. Flats are so much more comfortable and I can wear flexible shoes. I despise stiff soles in any shoes.

I'm a little nervous to post this since for so many people clipless is a religious issue. I once posted (not here) how I prefer flats, even said multiple times that I agree that for most people clipless is better in terms of power and efficiency, but for me flats are better and not less efficient and that I climb equally well either way. That wasn't good enough, they couldn't accept that I like flats. Weird.

bruce b.

Dont be nervous there Bruce B. I thoroughly enjoy wearing flexible shoes, and being able to wear whatever shoes I want to. I prefer mid ankle hikers with an aggressive sole or plain old sneakes.... I cringe when I see other riders off their bikes and walking around like they are on their heels.. like nails on a chalkboard. I guess Im just getting too caught up in the thought of the Palooza... I just want to make sure Im not gonna F up! I feel strong and I know Ill have no problems on platforms... just looking for some advantages, and maybe something to carry on with my riding.

Ugh... "Palooza".... every day its on my mind... like a curse and a blessing. :rolleyes:

Hello,
I rode PowerGrips too, back when they were the hot new thing! I switched to SPD's as soon as they became available and thought I could never live without them. I took my clipless pedals off a few winters ago when I decided I wanted to wear gore-tex hiking boots to ride through a particularly cold period. When Spring came I just kept riding the platform pedals, as I had become accustomed to riding in sneakers or whatever was on my feet when I arrived at the trail.

When I was speccing a custom frame last year I had it built around platform pedals as I don't see myself switching back anytime soon. I enjoy being able to move my feet around on the platforms, not just when going downhill either. I move my foot fore and aft when climbing for example. I enjoy being able to ride technical sections with more abandon, not having to worry about toppling over when/if I lose momentum.

The drawback is obvious though. I can struggle up the last ten or twenty feet of a steep and tricky climb when all my energy is going into the downstroke. For this reason I run a slightly easier gear (SS) than I would if I was still using clipless. I really think this is the only downside to platforms.

I think I'm going to re-install a set of clipless pedals for SS'plooza to allow me to run a smaller cog in the back; and just to remove one more excuse from my arsenal. Once the race is over the clipless pedals will go back to their dungeon.

Dont be nervous there Bruce B. I thoroughly enjoy wearing flexible shoes, and being able to wear whatever shoes I want to. I prefer mid ankle hikers with an aggressive sole or plain old sneakes.... I cringe when I see other riders off their bikes and walking around like they are on their heels.. like nails on a chalkboard. I guess Im just getting too caught up in the thought of the Palooza... I just want to make sure Im not gonna F up! I feel strong and I know Ill have no problems on platforms... just looking for some advantages, and maybe something to carry on with my riding.

Ugh... "Palooza".... every day its on my mind... like a curse and a blessing. :rolleyes:

Thanks Johnee,
Don't let me discourage you even slightly from going clipless, maybe you'll also find it more powerful and efficient. Seems like almost everyone does, there are only a couple of us oddballs that don't think so.

bruce b.

>>I think I'm going to re-install a set of clipless pedals for SS'plooza to allow me to run a smaller cog in the back; and just to remove one more excuse from my arsenal. Once the race is over the clipless pedals will go back to their dungeon.<<

Al, wouldn't it be better to add excuses to your arsenal? There's no downside. I want to see your Don bike.

bruce b.

Hey Johnee,
I also rode platforms and thought that it was better because I didn't want to be locked in when its gets ugly.
But one day i remembered my old toe clips (read cages) and remembered how I had more power on the hills...so... the kids gave me clipless pedals and shoes for Christmas. (at my request) I did spend time practicing "release" and adjusting the release pressure. I have put about 10 hours on singletrack with them and am having a ball. I ride lighter and up hills that made me vomit last year. Give 'em a try....

J-O,

I know you are a hike from me, but if you make it down this way I will give you a solid lesson in clipless pedals.

Honestly it is mega easy. I will set you (or anyone else) up on a trainer indoors until you feel confident enough to take it outdoors.

A little bit of education and practice goes a long way.

If you can't make it down, I would try shimano M 540 Pedals and the Multi release cleats (sh-56). These cleats marked with an "M" are way easier to get out of.

Once you master the system I would then go back to the SH 51 single release cleat so that you avoid accidental release.

Good Luck.

J-

Johnny O! I just saw your thread - and I rode with straps for a while - and switched to clips about 3 years ago...I still struggle with them, and well, if you ride with me, you'll witness some of my epic falls (I had a few at Stephens in the fall riding with you).

I like all the advice people are giving - and will continue to work on "unclipping" quicker...I do think it helps with my pedaling/power - especially on climbs.

Best of luck - and hope to see you on the trails soon! - robin

Back
Top Bottom