Clean Start

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Way back around birthday time I weighed-in and got a little bummed out -
While Norm was approaching 200 from the high side, I was providing balance in the universe
by approaching from below. A little over 197 at the time, and got concerned,
but not "in" - the next couple weeks went by in a blink. As noted in the Dry January thread,
I wasn't doing my body any favors.

BIYF started - so i'm 9 of 16 days on the bike (mostly in the basement, but at least i'm moving.
Then making the decision to halt the alc, and eat a bit better (again) as a New Year's resolution
kicked in.

So to chase @thegock in the be-fit race, i've manage to drop about 9lbs - most of it in the last week.
Weight coming down, feeling less bloated, waking-up ready to go (not go outside, more like go....)
has me somewhat motivated (on the not-motivated to extremely motivated scale)

nice picture so you don't need to read that.

1609940378327.png

As a reference, my marathon weight was 171. (oct 2017) and in Oct 2019 I weighed 180.
Clothes fit much better somewhere between the two.

I'll also guess it isn't just the weight right now. muscle atrophy and fat storage
need to be addressed. Fat should go as the saddle time increases.
I may need to actually lift something.

Last edited:

Mahnken

So way back around birthday time I weighed-in and got a little bummed out -
While Norm was approaching 200 from the high side, I was providing balance in the universe
by approaching from below. A little over 197 at the time, and got concerned,
but not "in" - the next couple weeks went by in a blink. As noted in the Dry January thread,
I wasn't doing my body any favors.

BIYF started - so i'm 9 of 16 days on the bike (mostly in the basement, but at least i'm moving.
Then making the decision to halt the alc, and eat a bit better (again) as a New Year's resolution
kicked in.

So to chase @thegock in the be-fit race, i've manage to drop about 9lbs - most of it in the last week.
Weight coming down, feeling less bloated, waking-up ready to go (not go outside, more like go....)
has me somewhat motivated (on the not-motivated to extremely motivated scale)

nice picture so you don't need to read that.

View attachment 147758

As a reference, my marathon weight was 171. (oct 2017) and in Oct 2019 I weighed 180.
Clothes fit much better somewhere between the two.

I'll also guess it isn't just the weight right now. muscle atrophy and fat storage
need to be addressed. Fat should go as the saddle time increases.
I may need to actually lift something.
Looking forward to seeing your progress. I'm basically in the same boat. My marathon weight at the end of 2019 was 174, this morning I weighed in at 190. The last three months were a total wash with very little exercise at all and where ten of those pounds were packed on. Finally got off my ass last week and have either biked or ran everyday so far this month. My marathon pace is now my 5k pace, lol.

Patrick

Staff member
damn - w/o drinking, i thought i would have lost a bunch of weight.
my gastro system seems to be messed up, and getting cold makes me hungry!

I'll take the other benefits - I'm eating ok, not a lot of sweets.
Got some sugar free pecan chew things for a 1x day treat.
Feeling good when I wake-up. Getting tons of stuff done.

Hopefully putting on a bit of muscle and feeling a bit stronger from the more consistent saddle time,
although i haven't really pushed it into the 2+ hour range yet. Will get there.

My back still hurts - it was feeling good yesterday, but pushing the bike up RV made
it sore this morning. A little Vitamin-I helped.

Last edited:

jackx

damn - w/o drinking, i thought i would have lost a bunch of weight.
my gastro system seems to be messed up, and getting cold makes me hungry!

I'll take the other benefits - I'm eating ok, not a lot of sweets.
Got some sugar free pecan chew things for a 1x day treat.
Feeling good when I wake-up. Getting tons of stuff done.

Hopefully putting on a bit of muscle and feeling a bit stronger from the more consistent saddle time,
although i haven't really pushed it into the 2+ hour range yet. Will get there.

My back still hurts - it was feeling good yesterday, but pushing the bike up RV made
it sore this morning. A little Vitamin-I helped.
Its definitely harder to ride consistently during this colder weather. Looks like you've got a good effort in the BIYF, although you seem to be plagues by those 9's, which may have crossed-over from when you were reconciling your checkbook. Looks like you need to round down your last ride.

1610987695694.png

Patrick

Staff member
Its definitely harder to ride consistently during this colder weather. Looks like you've got a good effort in the BIYF, although you seem to be plagues by those 9's, which may have crossed-over from when you were reconciling your checkbook. Looks like you need to round down your last ride.

View attachment 149088

I'm sure i can do something to get the extra decimal place out - either up or down ;)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I m always curious of these “vitamin-I helped”.
Is it like taking a shot of caffeine? Is it more of a mental thing?

Patrick

Staff member
I m always curious of these “vitamin-I helped”.
Is it like taking a shot of caffeine? Is it more of a mental thing?

it helps - 600mg for muscle soreness
naproxen for joint pain

about 45 minutes to kick-in. Hot pulsing shower doesn't hurt either.

i have actual asprin too.

Patrick

Staff member
2/1/21

Gotta a decent amount of pedaling in last month

Veloviewer says 25 days active on a bike.
32:43 of saddle time - this was my best January, next closest was 2013 when i started tracking (note i stopped riding for 25? years before that)
355 miles - my best January, which would be mostly on the zwifter.

Live YTD Summary - it doesn't have active days, just activity count.

ijlzzzzzzz.png

12 Zwifter rides for approx 220 of those miles
4 road rides on the plush bike -
9 days in RV or the Sourlands. Quick look says those are the only two places I rode mtb!

Breaking my fat bike right on time for the snow was a bummer - hopefully that gets resolved quickly.

My gastro issue continues to bother me - while I'm eating better, I'm still hungry from the step-up
in activity, and the cold weather. My clothes fit better, so something is happening. Perhaps trading
a little fat for lean muscle. Feeling a bit better pedaling uphill.

Weight remains relatively unchanged - I feel like this is a "gross weight" cause i feel gross, like i'm going to explode.

IMG_7598.PNG

Let's call it down 4 "real" pounds since Jan 1. I'd rather it be closer to 2lbs/wk,
but all good. I was assuming without imbibing 1000 calories per day in alc beverages
that it would drop faster. Probably a result of getting old.

I did my first century in Feb 2013, but had a decent 6 month run-up to it.
Might have to give that a go if there is a nice day in there. Gotta keep it rolling!

Getting ready to shovel.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd say your trending upwards, where I am trending down. Why do we not ever seem to be trending in the same direction 🤔

Patrick

Staff member
ah that's one thing I will never miss

i usually just ignore the snow - but had to get down and bust the dam at the bottom of the driveway.
they treated the roads yesterday, and the temps stayed right where predicted, so that meant it would
turn to cement if left alone.

I was probably out there for two hours - it is a county road, and had about 6" of snow on it - no plow went by!

Patrick

Staff member
PS how can you have no snow thrower? I sold a really good cub cadet when we moved in 2019 - should've snagged it!

the neighbor does my driveway - i cut their lawn.
he is in the hospital with the covid - wife inside home with covid, two people that live with them
are probably locked in their room - i could go grab it, maybe later.

i'm going to get a side-by-side with a 48" blower attachment - that takes care of combining a new toy with some utility.

ekuhn

Kubota RTV is a nice way to go. Could get plow or blower setup. I looked to go this route at one point but decided another way.

Kubota was offering 0% for like 48 months earlier this year. At 0% its like FREE money!

Patrick

Staff member
Kubota RTV is a nice way to go. Could get plow or blower setup. I looked to go this route at one point but decided another way.

Kubota was offering 0% for like 48 months earlier this year. At 0% its like FREE money!

all these utes are so $$$ - i could put a plow on my truck for less.
could use the dump body, but a small trailer would work well for the yard.
the blower attachments are all over the place with price. it only snows every other year!

ekuhn

all these utes are so $$$ - i could put a plow on my truck for less.
could use the dump body, but a small trailer would work well for the yard.
the blower attachments are all over the place with price. it only snows every other year!
Put a plow on your truck, then you can make it work for you...average rate for Plow truck and driver is like $125-$135/hr ...Im sure you know some landscapers that could use some help.

Top Bottom