Clayton Park Conditions

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Something like this:
http://app.strava.com/activities/45418528

It is pretty straight forward...The outer loop is sorta like a 5-6 mile figures 8, then there are some alternate trails in the middle. Really, it's a series of small loops if you look at the map. You just go round and round and round until you are dizzy :D

Some people do the outer loop in both directions.

I hope you like climbing because there is good elevation change there for such a small park in flat land country. :D
As a comparison...
In 1/3 the Distance, it has 3x the elevation change of 6 Mile.
Have fun, I wish I could join you and show you around....but stuck at work :(

Last edited:

kingbobyjr

Thanks for that!!!

That much climbing? Wow...wouldn't have guessed. It will be nice to ride somewhere other than 6 mile for a change.

Maybe one of these days we shall cross paths there.

wonderturtle

Thanks for that!!!

That much climbing? Wow...wouldn't have guessed. It will be nice to ride somewhere other than 6 mile for a change.

Maybe one of these days we shall cross paths there.

i love Clayton. its like a rollercoaster. just too damn far!

dont sweat the hills. unlike Hartshorne (for exmaple) almost EVERY uphill is preceded by a downhill so its ALL about MOMENTUM. you can get up many of the hills without even peddling if you get enough speed on the downhills. and even if you dont get all the way up - you get MOST of the way up just by momentum alone.

there are only a few hills were you really need to work.....again, as long as you let momentum do the work. but even those hills arent very long.

bottom line: there really isnt that much "climbing" at Clayton or at least there shouldnt be if you do it right :)

Last edited:

kingbobyjr

its like a rollercoaster.

A rollercoaster is a great way to describe Clayton!!! :D

This place is just flat out fun...I loved that downhill section on the Old Forge trail that heads back to Doctor's Creek. I believe I got the El Mar up to 25 mph coming down that section...for me that is flying!!! I'm not a fast rider by any stretch...at least according to times people put up at places like Six Mile according to Strava.

The climbs didn't bother me, I just dumped it down to a gear where I could spin slowly and comfortably in...plus like wonderturtle said, you are usually rewarded with a nice downhill after.

I managed to get 10 miles out of it with some doubling back. I think I got to ride everything there...

http://app.strava.com/activities/48372617

The trails were in nice shape, had no mud, had nice traction (I think it may have rained a bit the previous night) with a more sandy consistency to them that we don't see up at Six Mile or Somerset County in general.

Will I be back...sure will with it only being 1/2 of an hour away from where I work!!! :)

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
A rollercoaster is a great way to describe Clayton!!! :D

This place is just flat out fun...I loved that downhill section on the Old Forge trail that heads back to Doctor's Creek. I believe I got the El Mar up to 25 mph coming down that section...for me that is flying!!! I'm not a fast rider by any stretch...at least according to times people put up at places like Six Mile according to Strava.

The climbs didn't bother me, I just dumped it down to a gear where I could spin slowly and comfortably in...plus like wonderturtle said, you are usually rewarded with a nice downhill after.

I managed to get 10 miles out of it with some doubling back. I think I got to ride everything there...

http://app.strava.com/activities/48372617

The trails were in nice shape, had no mud, had nice traction (I think it may have rained a bit the previous night) with a more sandy consistency to them that we don't see up at Six Mile or Somerset County in general.

Will I be back...sure will with it only being 1/2 of an hour away from where I work!!! :)

Awesome! glad you had fun. It is a great little park :)
Like you saw, it does pretty well with a little rain. It's really nice having it 10 minutes from my house.
You will notice It does get really sandy and sketchy in the corners during the summer months just like Allaire.
see ya out there sometime!

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
A bit off topic, but since you live that close...have you ever been to the Happy Apple Inn? Looks like a cool place to have a burger and a beer after riding at Clayton.

Oops! I didn't see this until now. I have never been to the Happy Apple (YET) but my wife (and everyone else that lives in Allentown) seems to have good reviews for it. Good steak I hear. I bet a post ride burger/beer combo would be stellar :)

markd

Great conditions

Outside of some overgrowth (watch your head) Clayton delivers as usual. Lots of walkers (not the zombie type) and a few bikes too. Perfect weather and great trail conditions, besides some sandy patches from the runoff...

mrsjube

latest update?

thinking of checking the park out tomorrow. was there years ago (10+). how are conditions after all the rain? anyone have an address for the gps and a general starting point? thanks in advance..D

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
thinking of checking the park out tomorrow. was there years ago (10+). how are conditions after all the rain? anyone have an address for the gps and a general starting point? thanks in advance..D

Conditions are probably about perfect at Clayton right now.
The address of the lot is:
161 Emley's Hill Road, Upper Freehold, NJ 08526
It's a small park so it's tough to get lost.
It's basically a 6 mile long figure 8 or a series of small loops. You'll probably want to ride everything in both directions.
Here's a sample of a typical loop:

http://app.strava.com/activities/48748059

Have fun!

dvizz

Clayton Conditions

Trails have deep sand in the usual areas for summer. Roots have become more exposed with all the rains and erosion. Typical summer trail conditions for Clayton, otherwise still good climbing and swoopy ride.

markd

Like a dried riverbed

Ride Clayton today in perfect riding weather. Park was empty until 4ish. Most trails are like riding at the bottom of a dried riverbed. Lots of sand...lots. Rocks and deep exposed roots, and a few muddy areas too.

Overall still a great ride, just be careful of some deep ruts and deep sand traps.

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
Although we got dumped on pretty well last night, my house 5 miles away is already dry/firm.
I would expect the trails at Clayton to be the best they've been in months. The summer sand pit conditions are in effect but last nights rain should have tamed them a little. If you are looking for somewhere to ride today, Clayton is probably not a bad choice. I'm looking forward to some hard fast winter conditions, though I'm not sure I'm ready for the cold. :)

Molasses

Wondering if the trails will be in decent shape this afternoon? We def got rain but it seemed t be soaking up here in Central Nj.

Would love to hit dirt tonight my work schedule goes downhill for the restof the week.

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
Wondering if the trails will be in decent shape this afternoon? We def got rain but it seemed t be soaking up here in Central Nj.

Would love to hit dirt tonight my work schedule goes downhill for the restof the week.

I would expect conditions to be pretty good this afternoon. Watch out for the sand traps though...they are plentiful!

Rdoonz

Since it rained recently, I decided to pass on 6 Mile and give Clayton a try for the first time. I got there around 7 am. It was cold (26F), so I only did one quick loop. Trail was in excellent shape, but there was a heavy layer of leaves on the trail making it very loose in the corners. If my fingers hadn't stopped working, I would have run a loop in reverse.

jetskir118

Clayton conditions.

Went on Monday Dec 2 leaves look like they were blown off the trails. Great riding :getsome:

dvizz

Trails were great yesterday. Very few riders or walkers in the a.m. Sandy areas were firm with maybe a couple of muddy puddle spots. Posted signs on trees note park open to bow hunters till 1/31/14.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions