Chimney Rock Conditions

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
white (except for the spot with the ladder, and down by that short bridge), yellow, orange (except for the spot on the top between intersections) and red (except where it is always wet around that lower connector, and down to newmans)
will be good.

stay off blue, black (gilbride lot), middlebrook (behind disc golf), and orange between ballfields and gilbride, for now.

5:30 ballfield lot - a little distance between us, good to go.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
a little distance between us, good to go.

tenor (4).gif

If everyone is vaccinated

mpope68

white (except for the spot with the ladder, and down by that short bridge), yellow, orange (except for the spot on the top between intersections) and red (except where it is always wet around that lower connector, and down to newmans)
will be good.

stay off blue, black (gilbride lot), middlebrook (behind disc golf), and orange between ballfields and gilbride, for now.
This!
Conditions were surprisingly decent today if you plan you route around the worst areas.

Patrick

Staff member
One of the tree trunks slid down the hill onto train simulator.
75% blocked.

I was pleasantly surprised that the trail behind disc golf was dry enough to ride.
still some soft areas but good enough.

Last edited:

Jrzjoe

Did it yesterday. Blue is still wet so I made an attempt and turned back at the top. There is a tree down about fifty feet past the boardwalk feature.
Most everything else was ok. White was good. Connector coming off of gilbride heading toward frisbee golf has a bad mud pit, where it’s usually wet. Yellow, orange and red were fine, middle red had some wet spots but not too bad.

Patrick

Staff member
Did some work on white/coney island yesterday. I arrived to this

1617870736575.png

Which is disappointing.
Couple of things going on - the "drain" side was clogged, so the water backed-up.
The, rather than riding the rock armoring, people rode through the mud,
creating a larger dam. Took about 10 minutes to clear the drain, and another 10 to clear mud and leaves between the armoring to let the water flow through. Returning about an hour later, it already looked better.
Mulling a couple of ideas on what to do here, but this works for now.

1617871360567.png

Then I humped the wood down the trail a bit to that wet spot with the little ladder bridge.
This area is always damp, and the bridge had been forced down into the mud - trapping the water on the high
side, which then turned into mud soup.

1617872014627.png

the logs to the right were placed in the center of the trail. wasn't much else to do other than remove the ladder. I'm tempted to remove the sticks front-left, but the trail is cupped now, and the water isn't going anywhere. TBD. In an attempt to get it to dry, and provide some sort of path...

1617872952367.png

No doubt we'll return for Fun Monday and everything will be in the mud to make it wider.

Here's a challenge for Hi-Tech Paul. This one is out on coney island at the intersection to the pizza lot, directly over the trail. Maybe throw a rope over it and pull it down. Hard to believe it is hanging by such small branches.

1617873246672.png

@jklett - i cleared those branches you went through at the log pile :D

Hopefully we can do a couple of group TM sessions, or coordinate individuals to get to some projects @Kirt has on his list for this year.
Support Jorba - so we can get stuff done!

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
Hiked blue today - same route I usually ride it.
Cross road and left up the hill. Some soft corners, but not horrible.
Past the TTF, where it is wet, a dry go-round has formed. I'm not sure why it is dry,
but it is. The trail is good, with a few softer spots, all the way up to the highest point.
This is where some do-gooder lined the lower side of the trail with logs/branches to walk on,
which trapped the water on the trail. which another 100 people rode their bike through.

1617910759627.png

Removed all the sticks, the sun is shining on it, and there is a light breeze.
There is standing water - could have used a rake, or tamper, or ditchwitch....

Nicked all the puddles, and unclogged the water crossings - so they should be drying out.
Could not get this one to drain, but a go-round has formed next to the tree on the left - it works.

1617911098973.png

There was one more bad spot down from this - but it looks like it is drying quickly.
Coming back up the connector is a mess - multiple mud spots.
Interior blue trail is primo.

I'd say head up the left side, deal with the one muddy spot, come down the middle and back to the lot for now.
i'll try to get up there with a trail tool and get some sort of grading/nicking done.

mpope68

Are those three (3) trees still crossing the trail near the top of Blue when heading up from the left? Pretty sure they were before that first mud pit.

Patrick

Staff member
Are those three (3) trees still crossing the trail near the top of Blue when heading up from the left? Pretty sure they were before that first mud pit.

Didn't see them. Tree guy must have made an early stop.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions