Chimney Rock Conditions

Pretty much burned out after riding there every weekend all 4 seasons for 15+ years.

As for the recent work that mostly involves removing natural features such as log overs that were there for many years, not impressed. Also some of the reroutes just dont have the flow that the old ways did, and most did nothing to help with erosion. Also not impressed with the man made stunt type features, they are an eyesore when out in the woods. (I've heard hikers with the same comment) I will say the vossler trail extension is the best improvement.

I'm not interested in starting an argument, the place is what it is, but you asked for my opinion. Please dont respond with 'Maybe you should come out for TM' I have.

I’m going to have to respectfully but strongly disagree with you on most of your points.

Re: removal of natural features – That’s never been done at any of the TM sessions I have attended (which is most in the last 2-3 years). The rangers will sometimes remove them if they feel they are unsafe. Nobody who rides a bike likes it, but it is what it is… It’s the park’s call.

Re: Flow. I think you are way way off. The old trails went right up and right down the hill. Flow was nonexistent. In the last 2 years, the reroutes (mostly designed by Kirt, to his credit) made the straight up and down trails add some twisty curves. They actually add trail which is undeniable and unarguably a good thing. The recent re-routes made to the white trail, the blue trail, and the yellow trail add a TON of flow. And these all lead to the next point…

Re: Trail erosion
. The old trails that went right up and down the hill, just became streams of running water when it rained. Cleary, they were poorly designed. The new trails were designed with sustainability in mind. The twisty curves add plenty of opportunity to shed water and prevent erosion. I think the reroutes on the yellow trail that were done last year are a prime example of this. Before those re-routes this trail was unrideable after rain. End of story. Now the muddy sections have been reduced drastically and the trail is in much better shape and ready to ride much quicker after ran.

Re: man made trail features, you may have a point. But I look at it a little differently. I see it as proof that the mountain bike community actually has a line of communication with the park, and the park is listening. This is a huge step in the right direction and will only benefit the future experience of the riding at the park.

Pretty much burned out after riding there every weekend all 4 seasons for 15+ years.
I'm not interested in starting an argument, the place is what it is, but you asked for my opinion.

Yeah I understand your point, you can only take so much of a good thing...I'm sure Brad Pitt gets tired of banging Angelina.

You have your opinion and you do have a right to it, I respect that.

A lot of people on this board are good friends and team mates with Jorba folks, like the one's responsible for the improvements to CR. Stating your negative opinion of CR will bring up some hostility toward you.

Going forward I'll just say that you can't please everyone and leave it at that.

spent a couple hours picking up the first bit of white yesterday. It got really bad towards the second bridge. The first bridge has a tree on it. Then it gets really bad. Continued up around blue with another guy (thanks dude) and picked up a lot of the loose crap till it got dark.

This place is in bad shape. It needs chainsaw work, and some muscle. Can we speed things along volunteer wise, or do we wait for the Rangers to take control? I'll be around to help as much as possible, let us know!

Did some red/white yesterday. Mad trees are down on white.

My bud and i moved some stuff, but most of it was too big/heavy to really move. There were about 5 trees down on the white loop we were trying to take. I'd love to get out there with a chainsaw but i don't have one. It's crazy how different the trails look now. At some points, my landmarks were off.

The park rangers actually do work like this?

Btw, previous poster, Are you the guy with the black subaru?

spent a couple hours picking up the first bit of white yesterday. It got really bad towards the second bridge. The first bridge has a tree on it. Then it gets really bad. Continued up around blue with another guy (thanks dude) and picked up a lot of the loose crap till it got dark.

This place is in bad shape. It needs chainsaw work, and some muscle. Can we speed things along volunteer wise, or do we wait for the Rangers to take control? I'll be around to help as much as possible, let us know!

Did some red/white yesterday. Mad trees are down on white.

My bud and i moved some stuff, but most of it was too big/heavy to really move. There were about 5 trees down on the white loop we were trying to take. I'd love to get out there with a chainsaw but i don't have one. It's crazy how different the trails look now. At some points, my landmarks were off.

The park rangers actually do work like this?

Btw, previous poster, Are you the guy with the black subaru?

Guys,

Thanks for helping out with the clean up, it just may save 1 of us a derailleur. :D Only the Rangers are allowed to use power equipment (especially chainsaws) on Somerset County Parks. Hopefully they will start this week with the chainsaw work. They cover a lot of parks though & I'm not sure where CR falls on the priority list.

Guys,

Thanks for helping out with the clean up, it just may save 1 of us a derailleur. :D Only the Rangers are allowed to use power equipment (especially chainsaws) on Somerset County Parks. Hopefully they will start this week with the chainsaw work. They cover a lot of parks though & I'm not sure where CR falls on the priority list.

Anyone got one of those 2-person old timey lumberjack saws? Lol

Yeah I understand your point, you can only take so much of a good thing...I'm sure Brad Pitt gets tired of banging Angelina.

You have your opinion and you do have a right to it, I respect that.

A lot of people on this board are good friends and team mates with Jorba folks, like the one's responsible for the improvements to CR. Stating your negative opinion of CR will bring up some hostility toward you.

Going forward I'll just say that you can't please everyone and leave it at that.

Thanks for your understanding. If ya folks dont like my opinion thats OK. Hostility well that comes with the turf, and I'm OK with with that, dont want to start an argument but wont back down either.

C-rock is not as much fun as it used to be.

Don't bother replying this is the final post. I gave this site up and was invited back, hoping the 'tude here had changed... same chit same ding dongs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your understanding. If ya folks dont like my opinion thats OK. Hostility well that comes with the turf, and I'm OK with with that, dont want to start an argument but wont back down either.

C-rock is not as much fun as it used to be.

Don't bother replying this is the final post. I gave this site up and was invited back, hoping the 'tude here had changed... same chit same ding dongs.

It's actually different ding dongs. Well unless you're talking about yourself. Then yeah, it is the same & same. Just like last time it didn't work out, you dish out but you can't take it.

I won't bother inviting you back next time. I tried to help make it work but I guess it's just not meant to be. Last time you may have had a fair enough point. This time I'd say you were out of line for trashing the hard work people put into the park.

I'll also note that you ignored Jeremy's reasonable reply and instead chose the trash talk route. Fair enough, though there's some adage about reaping what you sow that comes to mind.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Who cares about that guy?

How are we going to get this trail cleared off and going again?

Word. The trails are totally ok to ride on. Except for when you have to get off your bike and hike around the fallen trees.

I suggest everybody go there and ride. There is a TON of debris on the trail so if everyone just does a little bit, we can get it cleared up in no time.

Let the rangers to the heavy work. Chainsaws will be necessary for some. Kirt may organize some TM's to do the re-routes.

Last edited:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/111160067

I hit the lap button at every tree that needs a chainsaw or reroute.
Counted 29 on Blue, Red, Orange & White!
(For some reason, only a few lap markers show up on the map when you check the Laps box...anybody know how to get all of them to show up? That would be a cool map to see.)

The TTF is now a TTTF

some pics:
6105020394_65b47818b5.jpg

6104472005_c0e4a3fb49.jpg

6104473613_c4634f64eb.jpg

6105019522_9ede24d5ab.jpg

6105019226_c72060783d.jpg

6104472635_ed54e0f5db.jpg

more pics here

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions