Chimney Rock Conditions

Anyone else see the couple on the fire road from the rocky river trail to the hawk watch on yellow?
She had a MT bike, but he was walking downhill a ten speed with a baby cart attached (and baby inside)! Told them that this was a very bad idea and to turn back; and eventually they did.
It’s nuts that they thought this was the way to ride chimney.

Anyone else see the couple on the fire road from the rocky river trail to the hawk watch on yellow?
She had a MT bike, but he was walking downhill a ten speed with a baby cart attached (and baby inside)! Told them that this was a very bad idea and to turn back; and eventually they did.
It’s nuts that they thought this was the way to ride chimney.
I used to see a guy riding here with a baby on a TT carrier. No brains required to ride a bike.

Walked much of blue and white this morning with some rangers for future projects. Very surprised to see how dry the trails are. Not perfect but considering all the rain as of late, totally rideable. Have at it.

It's Friday again!

This week we're back at the ballfields for some more trail improvements. Below is a stretch along the ballfield climb highlighted in red here:

Screen Shot 2023-09-15 at 1.12.58 PM.png

If you ride here enough you'll probably know what this is. Here is the progression of a trail build:

IMG_7609.jpeg

IMG_7610.jpeg

IMG_7611.jpeg

IMG_7612.jpeg

The other side was a bit of a challenge. Kirt & I are both very interested in how this plays out.

IMG_7613.jpeg

IMG_7614.jpeg

IMG_7615.jpeg

We anticipate some Bob Ross work will need to be done here in the next few months but we want to see how it holds up.

We also cut out a tree on yellow:

IMG_7619.jpeg

IMG_7620.jpeg

Nice work @Kirt and @Norm always appreciated!

Just got back from doing a little cleanup on red. There was another downed tree on lower red not far from the one I took care of last week. Also had a section right by it in serious need of trim as could barely see the trail due to overgrowth on both sides.

Did the same on lower interior red, lots of overgrown areas where you could barely see the trail and if a log or something fell in those spots it would be over bars scenario if you saw it at the last second.

Went thru 3 batteries so still have a little bit left on the interior trail to finish, but at least the bulk of it was addressed.

No pics, I was pressed for time, and couldn't spare a minute haha.

It's Friday again!

This week we're back at the ballfields for some more trail improvements. Below is a stretch along the ballfield climb highlighted in red here:

View attachment 223056

If you ride here enough you'll probably know what this is. Here is the progression of a trail build:

View attachment 223047

View attachment 223048

View attachment 223049

View attachment 223050

The other side was a bit of a challenge. Kirt & I are both very interested in how this plays out.

View attachment 223051

View attachment 223052

View attachment 223053

We anticipate some Bob Ross work will need to be done here in the next few months but we want to see how it holds up.

View attachment 223054

View attachment 223055
Interested on knowing why moving downhill a couple feet. You and Kirt are the experts so just an inquiring mind.

Interested on knowing why moving downhill a couple feet. You and Kirt are the experts so just an inquiring mind.
Probably bc trail was cupped and funneling water down the trail. There's a stream right next to where they put the reroute so water should flow right off into the stream with easy diversions. Plus it's cool to ride along the edge of a mini cliff! I did a band-aid water bar and some small nicks right around there a couple years ago but this is more of a permanent fix.

It's Friday again!

View attachment 223056

View attachment 223047

View attachment 223048

View attachment 223049

View attachment 223050

View attachment 223051

View attachment 223052

View attachment 223053

View attachment 223054

View attachment 223055
Saw all of this earlier, looks great. Also saw the “berm” on blue.

Tree down
IMG_1255.jpeg
IMG_1256.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 1.24.31 PM.jpeg

No room for folding saw in hip pack.

Last edited:
Oh hey! Friday! 4th in a row. Admit it, you're shocked that I am 4-for-4 for September. My September of giving rolls on!

I have seen recently in Vermont that they're starting to look to make trails more "rain resilient" given the massive dumps we've been getting the past few years. We are starting to look a little bit in that direction, to do our best to build stuff that will last a bit longer.

This is at the start (or end) of the ballfield climb, near the stairs. We're firming up the low side with rocks to hold the trail, then re-benching the high side to better form the trail. Hopefully this helps the "re-sloping" of the trail that's been going on.

IMG_7678.jpeg

IMG_7679.jpeg

IMG_7680.jpeg

Top of the same trail, we had to spend time re-closing the trail we rerouted last week because someone reopened it.

IMG_7681.jpeg

Finally did some small work near the triangle, near the cesspool. This trail ended up not needing too much so we mostly raked and firmed up a few low areas. But mostly this one was solid.

IMG_7682.jpeg

I’ve always felt that rainy days are great in theory for going out and doing trail work. Specifically, observing water and how it drains is a great idea. Getting out of the house, however, is hard on these days.

I managed to head out with a rake & the dog on orange today. This will be my dog walking project for a bit.

Before & after, coming up to the first turn from Gilbride:

IMG_7688.jpeg
IMG_7689.jpeg

In reality this may need a little dirt tweaking but today ain’t the day for that kinda thing.

The turn:

IMG_7690.jpeg

Did a loop around the section raking out a few nicks to help drainage. Nothing remarkable really.

Climb out of the river side I raked out the first switchback turn:

IMG_7691.jpeg

Here’s where I stopped. This gives you a good idea of the rubble before & after:

IMG_7693.jpeg

Not pictured: Kirt & High Tech Paul trimmed all of High Tech today.

TM grades this rainy weekend:

Norm: A+
Kirt: A+
Me: D

went out this morning with a mission to complete trimming on red. 15 minutes in and the spooler assembly on the weed wacker broke, hiked it back home in disgust. Replacement coming tomorrow, hopefully will find time this week to finish red. Blue on the list next.

TM grades this rainy weekend:

Norm: A+
Kirt: A+
Me: D

went out this morning with a mission to complete trimming on red. 15 minutes in and the spooler assembly on the weed wacker broke, hiked it back home in disgust. Replacement coming tomorrow, hopefully will find time this week to finish red. Blue on the list next.

A for effort, especially in this weather.

Back at it today. Went out with Bear this afternoon and did more Rubble Raking. There’s a lot of rubble right now.

First is on the climb from Gilbride, after the 2 drains. This was easier to work today because of the terrain.

Second is turn 2 of 5 on the climb from the river. There’s a lot here.

IMG_7699.jpeg
IMG_7702.jpeg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions