Change of Scenery

Dare I say you like the results of the Highlands Act ?
:popcorn:

not just baiting here, you seem to be well vested in the area, and would like your perspective on how it has had an impact.

somewhat relevant to the OP because it greatly affects land values and how the landscape may look in the future.
Highlands doesn't really effect much except the building of new mcmansions in areas where it's just stupid to build anyway. It was supposed to create the bank that other states have to let me sell my development rights to someone wanting to knock down 1945-1955 saltboxes in the post war burbs and build at an even higher density. For example, my local and state gov pay me say 150k to surrender rights on my 14 buildable lots. I buy the land next door and some sweet new equipment with the $ and keep on kicking ass. The collective now has my 45 acres purifying their water and sequestering co2 til the cows come home and my farm stays in the family forever. Now 2 years later some dude wants to knock down a row of homes in lets say Piscataway and go crazy with some condos. That local gov and state says "hey, your plan has too many units to comply with our current zoning" but we have some credits to sell you! They take my 14 homes and say convert it to say 40 more units for him and sell it to him for 750k. Perfect. Happy farmer, happy developer and the public wins as well. This part of the act has never been implemented so while farms in surrounding states get saved everyday Nj open space gets absorbed by Nature Conservancy(SCUMBAGS!!) never to be seen again. So to the OPs future....up here is gonna be woods, farms or homes for the independently wealthy/self-employed up here in the coming decades

Lakefront homes in Hopatcong, around $20,000 for property taxes. Not on lake, substantially less taxes.
Some of the lakefront communities look appealing (Cranberry, Mohawk, Lenape), but things tend to get more expensive. Looks like some have homeowners associations and monthly fees, and the whole resort atmosphere might be an issue. Lake Hopatcong seems like it could be a mini Jersey Shore in the summer. Definitely not looking for that.

Some of the lakefront communities look appealing (Cranberry, Mohawk, Lenape), but things tend to get more expensive. Looks like some have homeowners associations and monthly fees, and the whole resort atmosphere might be an issue. Lake Hopatcong seems like it could be a mini Jersey Shore in the summer. Definitely not looking for that.

its a zoo on the weekends. too many boats, too big also.
green pond is nice and quiet. budd lake is electric only (i think) lake muscanetcong is a bit quieter too.

Cranberry and Budd, eh, but good riding location. Mohawk and Hopatcong, no effin way and you will be driving to ride. Lenape is the best place to start if you want the lake thing. A whole street in front of Panther Lake is for sale( 4or 5 homes on woods rd) for 700k asking but I can't convince my dad to pull the trigger. I also went past a home just north of Skytop rd on 517N yesterday that I swear said it had a 1200sqft workshop.

No association fee @ cranberry. An optional community club. A lot of smaller houses. Not expensive like Mohawk....but if you buy on the lakefront you'll definitely be paying more.

Cranberry and Budd, eh, but good riding location. Mohawk and Hopatcong, no effin way and you will be driving to ride. Lenape is the best place to start if you want the lake thing. A whole street in front of Panther Lake is for sale( 4or 5 homes on woods rd) for 700k asking but I can't convince my dad to pull the trigger. I also went past a home just north of Skytop rd on 517N yesterday that I swear said it had a 1200sqft workshop.
1200 sqft workshop has my attention. Couldn't find anything like that on Zillow, though.

MLS 3261876. They're on the ropes man!! You got cash or good financing and you're getting this place for 400-420k. If not you that frame builder guy Mattyb knows should check it. 400 amp service in the shop....

MLS 3261876. They're on the ropes man!! You got cash or good financing and you're getting this place for 400-420k. If not you that frame builder guy Mattyb knows should check it. 400 amp service in the shop....
Huh. I actually saw the listing for this, but missed the shop. Sweet.

Ha! I like the way you think. It's too much house for me, but that shop...full dust control, vertical panel saw. Just needs a spray booth.

think rental income - people are always relocating to NJ for jobs - provide a bedroom, and bath, make some coin on the side, while they find permanent housing.

If you don't care throw a number of purchase out or PM me as I have a pretty good grasp of the reality around here. Plus I have a solid realtor for the area.

This gem is the last house deer park road near the 1st lot. You literally could knock a trail out your back yard and hit white trail. Then triple Parkers everyday.
https://www.coldwellbanker.com/property/125-Deer-Park-Rd-Allamuchy-Township-NJ-07840-MLS-3225351
The listing agent is my main go to.
Had some work in the area last week so I called the agent and got a look at this place as it's been stuck in my head since I first saw the listing. Wow. The setting is awesome. The house is actually 2 houses connected via the garage. It's funky, but cool as hell to me. It needs some work, so there's no way I can swing it financially at a price of $600k. If it was $400k, I'd be there already.

Had some work in the area last week so I called the agent and got a look at this place as it's been stuck in my head since I first saw the listing. Wow. The setting is awesome. The house is actually 2 houses connected via the garage. It's funky, but cool as hell to me. It needs some work, so there's no way I can swing it financially at a price of $600k. If it was $400k, I'd be there already.
If agent you mean Gelsa let me know she is a boss in this area. It also never hurts to throw an offer. That house has been on the market for a while and one thing about 600k houses that I have seen in area aren't close. Problem is some people want out they got to suck it up.

this sounds like you need an investor, and pick up a renter......hope it works out.

think rental income - people are always relocating to NJ for jobs - provide a bedroom, and bath, make some coin on the side, while they find permanent housing.
You could bed and breakfast that place and become a tour guide.

If agent you mean Gelsa let me know she is a boss in this area. It also never hurts to throw an offer. That house has been on the market for a while and one thing about 600k houses that I have seen in area aren't close. Problem is some people want out they got to suck it up.
Yep, Gelsa. Nice lady. I asked her about renting the guest house and she said it's not a legal rental. I'm sure you could pull it off if you did it right, but your tenant had better be someone you like because you'd be seeing them a lot. How about a dozen of us mountain bikers chip in at $50k each and timeshare it?

At 400k you're in the other one with the shop and 30' from a county road in winter. You'll have to be a lil more creative for out the door rides but KVSP is totally doable via the powerlines. Maybe look at the Tranquility Mill. Might be more your style and makes the Mooch your home base with 80 closer and NOT in Warren Co.

Yep, Gelsa. Nice lady. I asked her about renting the guest house and she said it's not a legal rental. I'm sure you could pull it off if you did it right, but your tenant had better be someone you like because you'd be seeing them a lot. How about a dozen of us mountain bikers chip in at $50k each and timeshare it?

refer to retirement thread ;)

its a very interesting listing.

At 400k you're in the other one with the shop and 30' from a county road in winter. You'll have to be a lil more creative for out the door rides but KVSP is totally doable via the powerlines. Maybe look at the Tranquility Mill. Might be more your style and makes the Mooch your home base with 80 closer and NOT in Warren Co.
The shop is the only thing I like about that property. How much would it cost to put up a metal building like that? The mill (http://www.trulia.com/property/3203559871-93-Kennedy-Rd-Tranquility-NJ-07879) is a cool property but price is in wrong direction.

Back
Top Bottom