Change of Scenery

SmooveP

So I've lived in the central NJ shore area for 25 years and gotten bored of the riding at Hartshorne/Huber, Allaire, etc. I've been doing more road trips to places like Allamuchy, Kittatinny and Jungle and I enjoy the challenge and the change of scenery. As with any nice place I visit, I fantasize about what it would be like to live in that area. I'm thinking Andover, Newton, Sparta area. I could get more house and land for my money, be close to lots of great riding, lakes for kayaking, etc.

To people who live or have lived in that area, what are the pros and cons? I'm thinking I might miss the availability of good places to eat and drink, see live music and other non-outdoor activities. Any other towns up there that I should look at?

Where do you work. Will your commute be longer?
I have a custom woodworking business. Most of the work is in my home-based shop, which I'd also be moving. There would be some impact, but could be offset if I pick up new work in the area. What's the home improvement climate look like up there?

I grew up in Sparta, and my parents and inlaws still live there. There's not a whole lot to do, but Mahlon is nearby and Kittatinny isn't far. Sparta would be pretty pricey, but Andover/Newton/Jefferson would all be somewhat reasonable I would imagine. I currently live in Parsippany and have easy access to 80, 287, 10, and 46, with tons of bars/restaurants/shopping nearby. I'm 30 minutes or less to Ringwood, Ramapo, Mahlon, Allamuchy, High Mountain, and Chimney Rock. Jungle and Waway are not too much further. Only 10-15 minutes to Lewis Morris, Tourne, and Wildcat, which has quickly become my favorite riding destination. The only thing I don't have is riding out my driveway to trails, although you could get that nearby in Denville, Boonton, or Rockaway.

so the money is in a belt from chester to harding - not that there aren't any other high-value clients, just
there is a good amount there (mendham, far hills, morris twp, basking ridge....) - so a sales call is not going to cost a day on the road living up rt 15 or 206 from rt 80.
living out rt 46, from budd lake brings in some interesting options of going south very easily (meaning back to the beach)

I grew up in Sparta, and my parents and inlaws still live there. There's not a whole lot to do, but Mahlon is nearby and Kittatinny isn't far. Sparta would be pretty pricey, but Andover/Newton/Jefferson would all be somewhat reasonable I would imagine. I currently live in Parsippany and have easy access to 80, 287, 10, and 46, with tons of bars/restaurants/shopping nearby. I'm 30 minutes or less to Ringwood, Ramapo, Mahlon, Allamuchy, High Mountain, and Chimney Rock. Jungle and Waway are not too much further. Only 10-15 minutes to Lewis Morris, Tourne, and Wildcat, which has quickly become my favorite riding destination. The only thing I don't have is riding out my driveway to trails, although you could get that nearby in Denville, Boonton, or Rockaway.
Thanks. Looking to get out of the typical suburban neighborhood and into the woods where I can have a few acres. That said, I don't want to be surrounded by rednecks, either.

so the money is in a belt from chester to harding - not that there aren't any other high-value clients, just
there is a good amount there (mendham, far hills, morris twp, basking ridge....) - so a sales call is not going to cost a day on the road living up rt 15 or 206 from rt 80.
living out rt 46, from budd lake brings in some interesting options of going south very easily (meaning back to the beach)
Thanks. I've done some work in Short Hills, Livingston and Randolph, so driving an hour each way for a few days each month is no big deal. Seems like there's some serious weirdness in the real estate market in and around Andover. Lots of homes that are half the price they were in 2007. A fair number of foreclosures, too.

I don't want to be surrounded by rednecks, either.

Sussex County may not be for you then :p

You should definitely take a look at the northern parts of Rockaway/Hibernia. You could likely get a place with a good amount of land and be able to ride into Wildcat, but you'd still be pretty close to the more suburban parts of Rockaway.

My vote would be Hackettstown though bias one. Decent eats, stores ect. Far enough but not too far. Plenty of riding to be had. Look in independence as taxes are better then surrounding twp.

On the Sussex/Warren border my whole life and I'm a neo-redneck. As far as social/culinary activity...none. We are leading the coming total economic collapse up here. Don't look farther than exit19 on 80, Byram on 206 or Sparta on 15. I love it up here and we're depopulating at a decent rate so please don't mess that up:D

Thanks. I've done some work in Short Hills, Livingston and Randolph, so driving an hour each way for a few days each month is no big deal. Seems like there's some serious weirdness in the real estate market in and around Andover. Lots of homes that are half the price they were in 2007. A fair number of foreclosures, too.

@mattybfat is the expert up there.
i think it is all the meth labs.

Back
Top Bottom