Cedar Grove Trail Question about the Magic Carpet?

I checked this place out for the first time today (thanks for the tour @the schwartz)! Pretty fun but i prefer more tech and the deep in the woods feeling of other places. The pipes are cool (though dunno how you'd wheelie thru them!) and the "magic carpet" roll down is pretty steep but not difficult. @Weeping Bear The key on steep rolls like that is to keep your weight back - stand up, crouch down and get your butt behind your seat with knees and arms bent, and feather both brakes evenly. The carpet was frozen solid this morning and grippy. I hiked back up it to hit the jumps again and didn't slip.
Awesome! Thanks for the encouragement, there's another one like that at the kashmir section also in cedar grove. Anyways, am I just over thinking it or is it really steep?

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Awesome! Thanks for the encouragement, there's another one like that at the kashmir section also in cedar grove. Anyways, am I just over thinking it or is it really steep?
It is really steep but you are also overthinking it and psyching yourself out. The worst part of roll downs like that are usually the "g-outs" at the bottom. That's where you're most likely to lose control - but this one didn't seem so bad. Since you said you're a newbie i guess i should also mention to keep your pedals up and even (not 1 down). With the right body position, traction and braking control you can basically ride down a vertical wall as long as there's a transition at the bottom (i.e. a skate/BMX halfpipe). Maybe practice the body position on braking control on less steep downhills to get the feel of it, then work your way up to steeper and steeper ones. Could maybe find a grass hill somewhere to practice on out of the woods too.

Mathers

It is really steep but you are also overthinking it and psyching yourself out. The worst part of roll downs like that are usually the "g-outs" at the bottom. That's where you're most likely to lose control - but this one didn't seem so bad. Since you said you're a newbie i guess i should also mention to keep your pedals up and even (not 1 down). With the right body position, traction and braking control you can basically ride down a vertical wall as long as there's a transition at the bottom (i.e. a skate/BMX halfpipe). Maybe practice the body position on braking control on less steep downhills to get the feel of it, then work your way up to steeper and steeper ones. Could maybe find a grass hill somewhere to practice on out of the woods too.
Did you go up to Hilltop ? There is more Tech/rocks up there.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
I checked this place out for the first time today (thanks for the tour @the schwartz)! Pretty fun but i prefer more tech and the deep in the woods feeling of other places. The pipes are cool (though dunno how you'd wheelie thru them!) and the "magic carpet" roll down is pretty steep but not difficult. @Weeping Bear The key on steep rolls like that is to keep your weight back - stand up, crouch down and get your butt behind your seat with knees and arms bent, and feather both brakes evenly. The carpet was frozen solid this morning and grippy. I hiked back up it to hit the jumps again and didn't slip.
Wonder if we passed eachother at the powerlines off the Lenape? I had the Santa Cruz and Target hoody.

the schwartz

we almost did but then we were too cold/tired. Next time that and Mills.
Did you go up to Hilltop ? There is more Tech/rocks up there.
We started towards Mills actually but that was where we turned around and just went back into Cedar Grove.
@gmb3 Hilltop is across the street and a little further up the street from where we parked.

@Mathers
How does Mills compare to Hilltop, which is more fun? I haven't ridden either in ages...

@Weeping Bear yes it's steep!
Advice here is solid, weight back go easy on the brakes, use the rear brake more (much more) than the front. But especially practice on some much shorter ones first to get the feel for it.

It's very smooth so once you actually do it you'll be like, oh was that all?

Mathers

We started towards Mills actually but that was where we turned around and just went back into Cedar Grove.
@gmb3 Hilltop is across the street and a little further up the street from where we parked.

@Mathers
How does Mills compare to Hilltop, which is more fun? I haven't ridden either in ages...

@Weeping Bear yes it's steep!
Advice here is solid, weight back go easy on the brakes, use the rear brake more (much more) than the front. But especially practice on some much shorter ones first to get the feel for it.

It's very smooth so once you actually do it you'll be like, oh was that all?
Hilltop has some good downhill type trail.
Mills has some nice features of you follow the lower trail around the reservoir

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
I lived in Bloomfield across from the Glen Ridge CC for like 5 years and rode Mills/Hilltop like twice a week. I moved south but try to get here for prework rides when I can but man have the trails have really grown over the years. Love this place.

xc62701

I lived in Bloomfield across from the Glen Ridge CC for like 5 years and rode Mills/Hilltop like twice a week.

Same. I was in Bloomfield for a few years and Mills/Hilltop was my go to. I haven't been back since 2015. I need to get back there and see how things have changed.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
Same. I was in Bloomfield for a few years and Mills/Hilltop was my go to. I haven't been back since 2015. I need to get back there and see how things have changed.
You need to go back. I sometimes get there before work on a Friday. Then get a coffee from Red Eye and some lunch from Ruthie's.

Top Bottom