Car-spotting thread

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Spotted at my own house.
Don't know when the last time was that you drove past my place, but you can spot two of these there as well.

Mrs. G has a white example with DSG, and mine is exactly as yours, except it's black.

I've been pondering mods since the day I brought it home, but nothing has happened as of yet.

JonFern

Formerly: send jon ferns
Spotted at my own house.

I'm sick of chasing down stuff on my V70R. I fixed the mechanical part of the AWD (new coupler, used angle gear), only for the electronics to sh*t the bed, vomiting so much crap on the CANbus that the dash board shut down. Then the steering rack developed some play. Then a wheel bearing started going (and you can only turn the stereo up so loud). THEN I saw rust starting to poke through in two spots. The underside of the car is super clean, so I'm guessing poor prep from a long-ago respray. Oh, and it needs shocks too. And the cruise control started taking breaks the last time I drove it to MD.

Observation: the Golf SportWagen 1.8T is the only AWD 6MT wagon on the market, it's built on the underneath-a-million-VAG-products MQB platform, 7/72 warranty, nobody wants them, and they're cheap. $22,340 out the door, all negotiated via email. It's a stripper in the modern sense of the word, which means it still has alloy wheels, heated (cloth!) seats, AndroidAuto/CarPlay, cruise, etc. I haven't measured myself but I was told the seats-down space is 1" narrower and 3/4" longer than my Volvo.

Right now it's quiet and comfortable (and slow) but I'll be sure to ruin it soon.

Very nice. Couldn’t find a wagon when i was searching for my TDI, so settled on a hatch. Still big enough to stuff a bike in the back. 11yr/162k dieselgate warranty was a big deal. If you ever want to make some programming tweaks, let me know, I’ve got the VW VCDS software and cable

Last edited:

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been pondering mods since the day I brought it home, but nothing has happened as of yet.
Mods are difficult on new cars. I've been researching on what springs I can get that give me a very slight drop, like .75", on the GTI. Pretty much all of them seem to kill the factory ride. The 2019 feels great as is, I just wish it sat a smidge lower with higher offset wheels. And was louder. And faster. Shit, I think I need mods.

I did consider the wagon for a little, but I just wanted more sport. Nice ride for sure. There aren't enough turbo manual cars left in this world...

mfennell

Don't know when the last time was that you drove past my place, but you can spot two of these there as well.

Mrs. G has a white example with DSG, and mine is exactly as yours, except it's black.

No kidding? It's actually been ages. I would have sent you a note if I had noticed.

The gigantic eco-system of VW-world is pretty appealing. I've been thinking R springs with Koni SAs. Supposedly I can combine those with 18" wheels and not completely ruin it. :) I really need to finish up some work on my wife's E30 so I can sell it first.

mfennell

Very nice. Couldn’t find a wagon when i was searching for my TDI, so settled on a hatch. Still big enough to stuff a bike in the back. 11yr/162k dieselgate warranty was a big deal. If you ever want to make some programming tweaks, let me know, I’ve got the VW VCDS software and cable
Cool! I think it's probably worth it for me to get a copy myself (or OBDeleven?).

mfennell

Mods are difficult on new cars. I've been researching on what springs I can get that give me a very slight drop, like .75", on the GTI. Pretty much all of them seem to kill the factory ride. The 2019 feels great as is, I just wish it sat a smidge lower with higher offset wheels. And was louder. And faster. Shit, I think I need mods.
Hahahah. The good news for me is that I can just make the car more like a 4wd GTI and it will be 'better'.

I find the claims from the tuners to be difficult to believe. An is20 turbo from a GTI and a tune gets me +100hp? 40 more than a stock GTI with 10% less displacement?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hahahah. The good news for me is that I can just make the car more like a 4wd GTI and it will be 'better'.

I find the claims from the tuners to be difficult to believe. An is20 turbo from a GTI and a tune gets me +100hp? 40 more than a stock GTI with 10% less displacement?
Sounds about right. The R has 60hp on the GTI with the same displacement and an even larger turbo. 100% possible. The 1.8T must be small?

That being said, VW seems to underrate their HP ratings so it's hard to really gauge. Carson informed me some time back that APR dyno'd the latest stock models we have at 264hp, 34 over VW's claim.

Speaking of small turbos, I was also looking at the Fiesta ST before the GTI. Such a cute turbo.
1570220841838.png

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Sounds about right. The R has 60hp on the GTI with the same displacement and an even larger turbo. 100% possible. The 1.8T must be small?
The 1.8T uses an IS12, the 2.0T in the GTI uses an IS20, and the 2.0T in the Golf R uses an IS38.

They all have the same exact flanges, so moving to a larger turbo is a direct bolt-on. And the software choices run wide and deep.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Spotted at my own house.

I'm sick of chasing down stuff on my V70R. I fixed the mechanical part of the AWD (new coupler, used angle gear), only for the electronics to sh*t the bed, vomiting so much crap on the CANbus that the dash board shut down. Then the steering rack developed some play. Then a wheel bearing started going (and you can only turn the stereo up so loud). THEN I saw rust starting to poke through in two spots. The underside of the car is super clean, so I'm guessing poor prep from a long-ago respray. Oh, and it needs shocks too. And the cruise control started taking breaks the last time I drove it to MD.

Observation: the Golf SportWagen 1.8T is the only AWD 6MT wagon on the market, it's built on the underneath-a-million-VAG-products MQB platform, 7/72 warranty, nobody wants them, and they're cheap. $22,340 out the door, all negotiated via email. It's a stripper in the modern sense of the word, which means it still has alloy wheels, heated (cloth!) seats, AndroidAuto/CarPlay, cruise, etc. I haven't measured myself but I was told the seats-down space is 1" narrower and 3/4" longer than my Volvo.

Right now it's quiet and comfortable (and slow) but I'll be sure to ruin it soon.
Congrats on the new ride. Should do you well. I’m a huge wagon fan, but being a manual transmission fan myself, they’re now unicorns unless you live in Europe. I miss my 04 V70R. But I sold it after having to fix the angle gear right at great $$$ after warranty expired. Many Volvo owners experienced the same problem but Volvo never acknowledged it as a shortcoming. Between that, the gorgeous but poorly wearing leather (despite oceans of Lexol), and rubber spring seats that hardened after 20k miles that made the otherwise awesome adjustable suspension feel like it was coming apart, it was adios Volvo for me. Now Audi has the RS6 wagon coming over here. But no manual. :thumbsdown:

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can you imagine if this was your ride? It's been engine-less for at least 8 weeks now.

20191005_023338.jpg

mfennell

That being said, VW seems to underrate their HP ratings so it's hard to really gauge. Carson informed me some time back that APR dyno'd the latest stock models we have at 264hp, 34 over VW's claim.
I'm only getting into it but I think the tuners way overestimate driveline losses. I watched a YT video yesterday with an IS38 Alltrack on the dyno in FWD mode (Haldex electronics unplugged). Great big screen: 350hp. Woohoo! High five brosef! Next line: 258whp. So the transaxle is absorbing 92hp? No way. It would be glowing red.

Anyway, enough highjacking with my boring car.

rick81721

Lothar
Anyone here part of the Japanese buzz bombs/bimmers/vws cruise that came thru rocky hill this morning? Bunch of cars blew bye me - sounded pretty good too, tho none as good as the gt350...

mfennell

Anyone here part of the Japanese buzz bombs/bimmers/vws cruise that came thru rocky hill this morning? Bunch of cars blew bye me - sounded pretty good too, tho none as good as the gt350...
"First Class Fitment" at Princeton Airport. I happened to be out that way too. Tons of loud car with questionable suspension geometry.

Sort-of on topic, here's the '79 308 my friends and I bought a few months ago. We've settled on "F-bomb" for a name. Put Pertronix ignition in it, went through the carbs, new tie rod ends and steering rack bushings, throttle cable, waiting on one brake caliper rebuild. Cosmetically, it's a real mess but it's running pretty well.

As predicted, John (who's housing it) did 80% of the work. Everyone's gung-ho until reality (work, family) hits. He's growing tired of it. Keep an eye on http://www.bringatrailer.com!

MVIMG_20190915_162947.jpg

Top Bottom